300 Black scopes

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dbltaps
Silent Operator

Re: 300 Black scopes

Post by dbltaps »

I have a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.5-4 and just zeroed it at 175 yards. I then am + or - ~2.3" out to ~200-250 yards. For hunting within that range using supersonic ammo, I just put the crosshairs where I want to hit and pull the trigger - no need to use clicks or change my point of aim. BDCs have their place, but for me and for what I'm using my 300blk, this method works for me. Of course I will have to adjust if I want to shoot subsonic...
razabak
Silent Operator

Post by razabak »

"I then am + or - ~2.3" out to ~200-250 yards."
Might want to double check that. I'm showing -4 at 225 and -7 at 250. That's if you are shooting blacktips.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

cwlongshot wrote:I have a question guys...

I am seeing the real need for a reticule that will combine the unique ballistics of the 300 blk shooting both sonic and sub sonic ammo.

I have a couple Nikon p223 scopes and like them. I see that they also offer a couple P300 scopes. I like the looks of both but only see the 2x7 offered.

Does anyone have one and what do you think?

CW
...because you already have P-series scopes and experience using them might as well stick with them, especially if you like them and have confidence in them.

I have the P300 and use it on my 16" uppers in 300BLK & .223 Wylde, for multiple loads. I ran the ballistics for my handloads for each barrel in the SpotOn, JBM and Strelok+ calculators and they match up very well. Both the SpotOn and Strelok+ allow you to input and save your handload data to your smart device so all you have to do is pull it up as you need it. The paid SpotOn app requires an older version of the Android OS to function (Froyo 2.2 or lower), chokes on newer OS versions.

I typically have the scope set for the "everyday use" .223 Wylde load, seeing as how that is the primary upper it rides on for now. Most of my 300BLK shooting has been with my 10" pistol that runs a red dot. For magnification with the pistol I just use a 3X magnifier, but.... I've also gathered the data for using the scope on it as well, just in case ;-) LOL.

Once you have the EDU load zeroed to a specific range, the other loads are shot at same range and amount of clicks required to bring it to same POA/POI as the EDU are logged so you know how many to move from to reset the turrets for the new zero as well as return to. When I change loads/uppers, I just adjust the turret the appropriate amount of logged clicks up or down, left or right for that new load, then lift the turret and set to zero so further adjustments are correct for that load/upper in use. Afterwards I just reverse process. Confirming before using takes less ammo, regardless if using same upper or switching uppers because you have that "start point".

If using same upper, I have rarely had any POA/POI shift. If switching uppers, POA/POI shift occurs as normal when removing & mounting a scope, but it is minimal. Always confirm the zero before heading out to use that combination.

I prefer to use Strelok+ on my smartphone, especially if I need to use inclination/declination in the field; the Strelok+ app uses your phone camera for this and adjusts the calculation accordingly. Another reason I prefer Strelok+ is once you laser the target and plug the distance in, the calculation displays the amount of clicks U/D/L/R needed, speeding the process. You can also display the reticle as well at all the available power settings if you do better with visual display and don't care to be turning knobs. I typically use the reticle display with the Combat EIC Target as the background because it's easier for most people to correlate game size to human size when determining the placement of the aiming point shown in the reticle display.

It's not ideal to be swapping a scope between rifles, but it can be done, especially if fixed income prevents buying individual scopes for individual firearms.

rjacobs statements for mildot/milrad are all valid, but fewer are schooled in the use of it...
dbltaps
Silent Operator

Post by dbltaps »

razabak wrote:"I then am + or - ~2.3" out to ~200-250 yards."
Might want to double check that. I'm showing -4 at 225 and -7 at 250. That's if you are shooting blacktips.

You are correct sir! :) I show the same info, now that I have checked my ballistic table. I apologize - I was quite tired when I posted my reply, and didn't have my table in front of me and was going on my (fading) memory :lol: . I should have said out to 200 yards, and should have mentioned that I am using Blacktips. Thank you for catching my mistake! I don't want to give out incorrect info that causes confusion or isn't helpful.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I own a Leupold M4 300BLK (16" AR), a Nikon P-22 BDC (16.5" Bolt gun), and a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle Scope 1.5-4x 20mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments SPR Reticle Matte with 2-Piece Tactical Mount (7.5" SBR).

I like the Leupold M4 300BLK simplicity and ease of use the best as the 300BLK super/sub markings have been very close for me to use with my super and sub loads out to 100yds and has quick/tactical turrets. I dislike the price tag.

The Nikon P-22 BDC is cool because it was designed for 22 bullet speeds which are very close to my subsonic bullet speeds. So I zero with my supers at 50yds and then I'm in the 3rd dot for my subs at 50yds, and has quick/tactical turrets.

My SBR is still being sorted out so not much to report on the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 other than a generous eye relief, it is small and light, the glass is clear, has mil dots and quick/tactical turrets. Price tag isn't too bad either when you compare to other scopes with the same feature set.

Notice that I mention some sort of marking/bdc dot/mil-dot and quick/tactical turret feature on each of these scopes. I think the dots are nice because they are quick, BUT I love being able to quickly use the turrets to adjust the zero as the dots are not perfect.

What the combo of the dots/markings and the turrets give me is the ability to combine simplicity and precision features to use with both supers and subs. I have now started moving beyond only using the dots and started recording the turret markings for zeros of my loads so that I can be zeroed in for my various supers at 100yds as well as my subs at 50yds. The dots then come in handy with my subs out to 100yds.

I get the best of both worlds (supers and subs) using both the markings/dots and the turrets and love it!

I hope my little experience gives you some good food for thought when looking for a scope :)
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Im with rj on this one . take the time to learn how to use a mil-dot scope and their relation to the turrets and you will never hamstring your self with a set bdc again .
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

tallburnedmidget wrote:I own a Leupold M4 300BLK (16" AR), a Nikon P-22 BDC (16.5" Bolt gun), and a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle Scope 1.5-4x 20mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments SPR Reticle Matte with 2-Piece Tactical Mount (7.5" SBR).

I like the Leupold M4 300BLK simplicity and ease of use the best as the 300BLK super/sub markings have been very close for me to use with my super and sub loads out to 100yds and has quick/tactical turrets. I dislike the price tag.

The Nikon P-22 BDC is cool because it was designed for 22 bullet speeds which are very close to my subsonic bullet speeds. So I zero with my supers at 50yds and then I'm in the 3rd dot for my subs at 50yds, and has quick/tactical turrets.

My SBR is still being sorted out so not much to report on the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 other than a generous eye relief, it is small and light, the glass is clear, has mil dots and quick/tactical turrets. Price tag isn't too bad either when you compare to other scopes with the same feature set.

Notice that I mention some sort of marking/bdc dot/mil-dot and quick/tactical turret feature on each of these scopes. I think the dots are nice because they are quick, BUT I love being able to quickly use the turrets to adjust the zero as the dots are not perfect.

What the combo of the dots/markings and the turrets give me is the ability to combine simplicity and precision features to use with both supers and subs. I have now started moving beyond only using the dots and started recording the turret markings for zeros of my loads so that I can be zeroed in for my various supers at 100yds as well as my subs at 50yds. The dots then come in handy with my subs out to 100yds.

I get the best of both worlds (supers and subs) using both the markings/dots and the turrets and love it!

I hope my little experience gives you some good food for thought when looking for a scope :)
This is pretty much my thinking and plan.

Thanks!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS