Getting started......Questions

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

benmk19

Getting started......Questions

Post by benmk19 »

Hi Guys!

Excited to join the forum and the community....by far the most knowledgeable one out there!

So my shoulder just had surgery, and my basement is being finished with a room all to my self!!!

I have very limited experience with single press reloading several years ago, and of course before I did 2 years in the ME, I bought a Honady Progrssive press.

Let me know what else I need if you would please guys...I have:

Shell plates for all calibers
Shell holders for all calibers
10 extra bushings
3 extra retention springs for the shell holders?

I bought a Harbor Freight bench I found on a forum for reloaders that said it was a good cheap buy.

Needs?

Powder measurer to double check the powder dispenser that comes with the press?
Caliper (think reading some on here it is mandatory for quality and safety)
what about priming? hand primer? tubes?

Looking at buying converted 300 brass from a guy on here that appears to have been selling it "ready" to load 1K rounds for 120$

recommended bullets? this is for plinking right now.....

I have my notifications on for Win 296, 1680, lil gun and A9, I read some thread that said people were using AA9 successfully. I have notifications with Brownells and Midway, other ideas, or should I really go after one of these over the others?

My can is 8 months out, so I'll need to start with supersonic ammo..... Saker 7.62

Buying a 9 inch PWS, and doing a form 1 so I have a true SBR.
Putting in a SD3G trigger....pretty excited to try it out....

Putting on a Vortex 1-4 PST.....

A lot of questions I know..... but I greatly appreciate any feed back!!! I have the time to set thing up right now while I'm healing....and then want to crank out the rounds and can't wait for my can!!!
AndyT
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Getting started......Questions

Post by AndyT »

Noob as well here, but if you're buying powders and primers try as hard as you can to buy locally. Cabellas, Academy and maybe Bass Pro all carry them as well as some local gun stores.

There's a $28 haz-mat fee on top of normal shipping prices for powders and primers so unless you are buying in bulk you will pay 2x the cost of the powders/primers (1lb and 1,000 count packaging).

You will probably want to get some kind of trimming tool also as the cases stretch when fired and that can cause an issue
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Don't forget to check for H110 as well. You can backorder powder at Midsouth. I have some backordered there. For bullets I like the VMAX, NVAR, and TNT. The TNT value pack of 500 is a good price and the bullet is accurate as well as deadly. The VMAX is my favorite plinking/varmint bullet.
benmk19

Post by benmk19 »

thanks guys!!! helps out!

what do you recommend for primers?
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

Welcome aboard
Imr or h 4895 works very well with 150 to 247gr bullets start at 14 grs and work up.

For supers A2400 has also worked very well for me. Have tried it with 125s and 165s.
One Good Shot Is All I Need.
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

Where are you located?
benmk19

Post by benmk19 »

Denver......
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

CCI #41 or Winchester Small Rifle #6 1/2 primers.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

benmk19 wrote:thanks guys!!! helps out!

what do you recommend for primers?
Try whaterver you have in small rifle. I like Fed 205. I've used CCI 41, 400, and wolf. The magnum doesn't seem to do anything for me. I had a couple misfires with the 41. I don't like the thick cup. I also have some Fed 205M. The Rem 6.5 doesn't work as well as Rem 7.5 Iv'e heard.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

You may want to look into the eForm system for your SBR it has been quick on the turn around time since it came back.

Also I would recommend you get a Sheridan Ammo Gauge to ensure your rounds (and your brass) are in spec as they seem to be easily knocked out of spec for 300BLK.

Here is the FAQ thread for 300BLK general info viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73274

Here is the thread on good vs bad brass for conversion viewtopic.php?f=141&t=82732

Here is the thread I direct all new reloaders too as it was very helpful for me, read all of the pages of the thread it is great http://300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 20#p759559

Best of luck :)