Say hello to my little friend!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RDA
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by RDA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 am

voip-1 wrote:I think the release of the Aimpoint T2 is going to drive down T1 and H1 prices, especially closer to the holidays. I expect to be able to get H1 for $399, T1 for $499 and T2 for $599. At that price I might just pony up for the Aimpoint.
I hope you are correct, but I doubt it.

BulletFlight for Android
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by voip-1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:51 am

RDA wrote:
voip-1 wrote:I think the release of the Aimpoint T2 is going to drive down T1 and H1 prices, especially closer to the holidays. I expect to be able to get H1 for $399, T1 for $499 and T2 for $599. At that price I might just pony up for the Aimpoint.
I hope you are correct, but I doubt it.
Up until Holosun there wasn't serious competition due to other cheap dots having drastically inferior battery life.

I still think that aimpoint is better primarily because its made in the US and has been tested by our troops and police in the field.

However if you're not being deployed and are using the red dot for target plinking and rare self defense situations it is pretty tempting to get the HS403G for $199 vs $629 for the T1.

RDA
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by RDA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:32 am

voip-1 wrote:
RDA wrote:
voip-1 wrote:I think the release of the Aimpoint T2 is going to drive down T1 and H1 prices, especially closer to the holidays. I expect to be able to get H1 for $399, T1 for $499 and T2 for $599. At that price I might just pony up for the Aimpoint.
I hope you are correct, but I doubt it.
Up until Holosun there wasn't serious competition due to other cheap dots having drastically inferior battery life.

I still think that aimpoint is better primarily because its made in the US and has been tested by our troops and police in the field.

However if you're not being deployed and are using the red dot for target plinking and rare self defense situations it is pretty tempting to get the HS403G for $199 vs $629 for the T1.
I have a few H1s, I think they work great but they are pricey. I recently purchased a Primary Arms Red Dot (the new RBGII) and I am trying it out. The price is right at $120, the dot itself seems pretty good, the mount is pretty awful. The red dot itself isn't as clear as my Aimpoints.

I don't think Aimpoint will try to compete with the low-priced Chinese offerings, they will continue to hold their pricing strategy and attempt to distinguish themselves in other ways in my opinion.

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by voip-1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 am

RDA wrote: I have a few H1s, I think they work great but they are pricey. I recently purchased a Primary Arms Red Dot (the new RBGII) and I am trying it out. The price is right at $120, the dot itself seems pretty good, the mount is pretty awful. The red dot itself isn't as clear as my Aimpoints.

I don't think Aimpoint will try to compete with the low-priced Chinese offerings, they will continue to hold their pricing strategy and attempt to distinguish themselves in other ways in my opinion.
You should look at the primary arms MDA-ADS. It is their version of the new Holosun HS403G. These fit all Aimpoint mounts with same co-witness as the Aimpoint optics and they have 50,000 hour battery life from a CR2032 (estimated). Primary Arms version does not have scope covers or the auto on/off features and is $169. The Holosun version is $199.

I'm just waiting on Amazon to start carrying the 403G since I have prime membership and the Amazon return process is pain free if there's a problem with the optic or I don't like it.

The Holosun I have has a smeared dot, but if I got one that was working properly it would be very hard to justify the Aimpoint for 3X the price of the new Holosun. I imagine the Aimpoint might be marginally more water resistant, marginally more rugged and probably has better optics/coating than the Holosun, but realistically in a CQB situation I don't see that the Aimpoint has any real advantages.

User avatar
300Blk
Site Admin
Posts: 7331
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by 300Blk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Super nice.

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Say hello to my little friend!

Post by voip-1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 pm

So I got a chance to take it to the range on Friday morning, although sadly only had about 2 hours to shoot with it before other commitments kicked in and I beat a hasty retreat back to the other end of town.

This is a very smooth operating rifle. I put about 150 rounds of Ozard Ordinance through it and it never missed a beat. With irons I was doing pretty well accuracy wise but I was not clicking with the aimpoint clone. I suspect that the lower 1/3 co-witness optic height is not a good match for me. I'm now thinking that when I buy another optic I will go with a Larue standard co-witness mount.

I was surprised at how little felt recoil there is. I did not get the normal "twang" from the spring and buffer that I expect from ARs.

I can't wait to get the silencer I ordered. This is probably going to replace my Rem 870 as the go to HD gun. Have some Barnes VOR-TX on order for that purpose.

:mrgreen:

Post Reply