Subs not very quite

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Meister179

Subs not very quite

Post by Meister179 »

During another post I mentioned that I have have shot three different commercial subsonic loads out of my 8" SBR. These were: Rem. 220gr. OTM, Hornady 208gr. AMAX, and Gemtech 187gr. subsonic.
I do not have a meter but none of these rounds seem to shoot very quite. Especially compared to subs in my .223 or those seen and herd on youtube. And yes, I know its not like in the movies.
Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? I am set up to reload but have not cranked out anything yet as I don't have or know which weight bullet I want to concentrate on using.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subs not very quite

Post by DoubleJ »

What can? If no can, then they won't be quiet at all.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
Meister179

Post by Meister179 »

Thunder Beast 30P-1 suppressor from Arms Corp.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

I've experienced the same with my sas reaper. I've been told that its likely the powder used and that gorilla ammo is quiet. I'm gonna load my own with IMR 4227. If it's still only a few db lower than the supers, I'll likely have it checked out.

(btw gotta love auto spell check... Another post in a smith and wesson form got spelled quite instead of quiet as well! Auto correct must be a liberal!)

Video from an iPad 10 feet to the right of the shooter:
Rifle: 9" 1:8 KAK 'Mr. Blonde' with SAS Reaper

147 grain supersonic:
http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c25 ... rmbgwg.mp4

220 grain Remington UMC:
http://vid29.photobucket.com/albums/c25 ... f1bd75.mp4
Last edited by Sithlord on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meister179

Post by Meister179 »

agree on the spell check. :oops:
I too am going to try 4227 and others. let me know if you have any luck.
AndyT
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AndyT »

Curious to hear how your 4227 loads work out as that is also what I've got on hand
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Meister179 wrote:During another post I mentioned that I have have shot three different commercial subsonic loads out of my 8" SBR. These were: Rem. 220gr. OTM, Hornady 208gr. AMAX, and Gemtech 187gr. subsonic.
I do not have a meter but none of these rounds seem to shoot very quite. Especially compared to subs in my .223 or those seen and herd on youtube. And yes, I know its not like in the movies.
Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? I am set up to reload but have not cranked out anything yet as I don't have or know which weight bullet I want to concentrate on using.
Have someone else shoot the rifle and you listen at different directions and distances...it may sound much quieter without your head right at the side of the rifle. Then have someone shoot the rifle w/o the suppressor attached. It will give you a different perspective.

I do shoot suppressed a bit with bolt action and single shot rifles. I reload using faster powders (bullseye, 231, unique) for them since cycling the action is n/a. The smaller charges of faster burning powders are much quieter.
g22rmr
Silent But Deadly

Post by g22rmr »

Action noise alone on an ar-15 is anywhere from 110-119db. That's about as loud if not louder than my sr-22 with AAC element 2 on it.

I have the 30p-1 on a 9" aac and its definitely quieter than unsuppressed. It should be in the 126-130db range whereas without the can its 158db or more, a whole lot more if supersonic ammo is used.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Meister179 wrote:[/b]. Especially compared to subs in my .223 or those seen and herd on youtube.
Well, .223 subs are essentially like .22LR, with maybe a slightly heavier bullet. Your 300BLK subs are making 3-4x more power, with a proportional increase in the amount of gas produced, that the suppressor has to deal with. (assuming .223 subs that don't cycle an AR)

Re. youtube videos, camera mics don't capture the sound like it really is, and your computer speakers, and your computer speakers don't play it back that way either. Don't get your suppressor expectations from youtube videos, you're guaranteed to be disappointed.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Have somebody else shoot the rifle. Be confused.