New upper build accuracy???

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: New upper build accuracy???

Post by rebel »

Yes with a 16". Tighten as smustain suggested. Torque to a bit more. If tit is still in the way, take a dremel and stone and get it out of the way. I take this suggestion straight from my JP hand-guard instructions and that is exactly what I did. My 9 inch pistol is moa with 220 subs.
Last edited by rebel on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Thanks for the help. How are the nosler 125 ballistic tips on accuracy? I've got 2 boxes of those ready to reload. Are there any other tips that y'all can tell me or point me in the direction of to help this accuracy?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

The noslers shoot great.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Crtsharris
Silent Operator

Post by Crtsharris »

I agree, 125gn Nosler Ballistic Tip and Speer TNT have nearly identical accuracy and load data. Both shoot good groups.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Thanks guys. Would y'all consider a different barrel if the accuracy doesn't improve or would y'all scrap the whole idea and move to a 6.8? If a different barrel then which one or should I get an entire upper? I know I'll probably get flak for this question but I'm building this for hunting only and some suppressed hunting. My shots probably won't be over 200 yards but there is the possibility that some shots will be that far. I'm gonna get a .308 when funds allow after the wedding for the longer shots but I need this to satisfy my needs right now. Just looking for honest opinions and I would love for this round to work out.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bdill wrote:If a different barrel then which one or should I get an entire upper?
I've used five different 300BLK barrels from cheap (CMMG, AR-Stoner, Aero) to more expensive (Wilson Combat, and Rainier Ultra Match). As far as precision, I haven't seen a enough difference between them to matter. I'd guess you can get the CMMG shooting once you find something it likes.
DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

Ummm what trigger do you have? A good trigger will make a difference in a good group!
Wow can't believe nobody asked you that....lol. Oh and welcome I am new here too.
One Good Shot Is All I Need.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Geissle ssa. I just swapped uppers with my 5.56. It will do sub moa all day long. I do need to try my upper on the various other lowers I have. I saw somebody on here say that could affect accuracy.
doubleshot00
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleshot00 »

I've reloaded many different supers of the past year and just recently got my hands on some 125 gr SST's. Wow what a difference it makes in 14.5". I get around 1.25" to 1.75" groups at 100. Now my 8" barrel I get 6" groups at 100 and 1" group at 50. The 14.5" is a Alpha shooting sports barrel and the 8" is a White River Armory.

Saying that it makes a difference what you shoot and I "guess" the length of barrel. My next .300blk barrel will be a DD 10.3.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

So basically my rifle is shooting normal sized groups? If I just did 3 round shots then it stacks them under an inch I had one 3 shot group that was under a half inch and a 4 round that was right at .75 but my 5 round and 8 round groups suck. My 50 yard tests are great but the 75 yard tests are where I start seeing issues