Effective muzzle device for short barrel on 5.56 upper?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Effective muzzle device for short barrel on 5.56 upper?

Post by 1018 »

For my 10.5", 5.56 upper, I'm looking at devices like the Noveske KX3, Kuuma v.4, Barking spider, STD, etc. to direct pressure downrange, and, minimize muzzle flash. Felt recoil is at the bottom of the priority list.

This isn't a competition gun, a hiking over the mountains gun, or a hide in your pants gun, just a plinker/home security/whatever gun. So weight isn't that big of a deal. I don't want a can at this point, maybe in the future.

What are y'all using that works well in these areas? Has anyone tried any of the Kuuma series from Ballistic Advantage?
Desert scrub
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Effective muzzle device for short barrel on 5.56 upper?

Post by Desert scrub »

The FerFrans cqb seems to work decently as both a brake and at pushing everything down range.
The pws cqb also works well for that as do the bulgarian 4 piece ak style cans.
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

I dont have it yet, but ill be getting the bulgarian brake knockoff. They are on ebay in melonite for like $36. Basically, the design that Noveske ripped off. Im using an adjustable gas block too.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

AAC Blackout flash suppressor is great for a short barrel. And also quieter than a lot of other muzzle devices.

A lot of the "direct sound downrange" stuff is not actually effective at what they claim to do.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

No matter what you do, short of a can, a centerfire rifle indoors is going to do some serious hearing damage. The usual powder for .223 will still be burning as it leaves the muzzle which contributes to significant noise and flash. Not much you can do about that. Sure, scientifically there might be a device that does cut it down but that could mean only 1% reduction and still be true.

It's your gun so get what you want. If you plan on using it for home defense, have a pair of electronic ear muffs that you can put on. The other option would be to use a can, even the cheap oil filter ones would work I bet, or use a shotgun with birdshot. The scattergun will still be hella loud but I don't think it will cause the hearing damage of a centerfire SBR. Just my $0.02.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

Silencerco 762 Specwar :lol:

RMcDonald
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RMcDonald »

300Blk wrote:AAC Blackout flash suppressor is great for a short barrel. And also quieter than a lot of other muzzle devices.

A lot of the "direct sound downrange" stuff is not actually effective at what they claim to do.
I agree here. As long as the gases aren't directed directly out the sides and back towards you it won't have the concussive effect of a brake. And the blackout does a great job with flash reduction on short barrels.

Post by 1018 »

300Blk wrote:AAC Blackout flash suppressor is great for a short barrel. And also quieter than a lot of other muzzle devices.

---- Is there any type of comparison testing between these types of muzzle devices in regard to flash suppression and noise level from the shooters perspective?

nolwark76 wrote:No matter what you do, short of a can, a centerfire rifle indoors is going to do some serious hearing damage. The usual powder for .223 will still be burning as it leaves the muzzle which contributes to significant noise and flash. Not much you can do about that. Sure, scientifically there might be a device that does cut it down but that could mean only 1% reduction and still be true.

It's your gun so get what you want. If you plan on using it for home defense, have a pair of electronic ear muffs that you can put on. The other option would be to use a can, even the cheap oil filter ones would work I bet, or use a shotgun with birdshot. The scattergun will still be hella loud but I don't think it will cause the hearing damage of a centerfire SBR. Just my $0.02.
Lots of experience with rifles indoors, but usually with muffs on. Just trying to minimize the effects with these new styles (for 5.56) of devices.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

An open-prong type flash hider would seem best. If you get a top performer, such as the AAC Blackout, get the 51-tooth, fast-attach silencer mount (the most common version) and you'll be in position to later add an AAC silencer easily.

Another good option is the Smith Vortex. They will accept SEI silencers. I also have one of those (older, non-silencer mount) on a 5.56mm, 7" upper and I've never noticed any flash from it either, even when shooting indoors.
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76

Post by 1018 »

I've had the Vortex on an SBR before and liked the flash suppression aspect of it, but the noise level from shooter perspective was so much louder than the 14.5 barrels with A2 cages. And I guess that's where I'm really trying to compare the KX3 style to the open prong style. They may have the same performance abilities in regards to flash suppression and noise to the shooter, but didn't know if one style was marginally better than the other style.