How do you successfully remove the muzzle brake?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ulev1st

How do you successfully remove the muzzle brake?

Post by ulev1st »

I don't know what they put these thinngs on with but I'm having a heck of a time getting off!. I bought a SpecWar 7.62 and the mount requires their muzzle brake but I'll be damned if I can get the original one off. Suggestions/ideas/helpful hints PLEASE!!!
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Re: How do you successfully remove the muzzle brake?

Post by Randygmn »

ulev1st wrote:I don't know what they put these thinngs on with but I'm having a heck of a time getting off!. I bought a SpecWar 7.62 and the mount requires their muzzle brake but I'll be damned if I can get the original one off. Suggestions/ideas/helpful hints PLEASE!!!
Which muzzle brake?

It's probably on there with Rocksette. Heat won't effect it. But water will. Just soak it.
SkyLine1
Silent Operator

Post by SkyLine1 »

Best way is a gielsie rod/Brownell action rod and a vice.

I have installed the specwar mounts on 2 barrels.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I had to get a 20+ year old A1 off, it was a bear. I ended up squeezing two 2x4s in a vice, running a 1/2" drill bit between them to create a channel in both, then used them to clamp the barrel in the vice so it wouldn't get damaged. Some PB blaster on the threads might help. Just make sure the barrel doesn't spin in the 2x4s, or it will embed some wood into the steel that'll take a while to get out. I use the same method to mount all my new brakes as well, but they're all on raw stainless or some tough coating, no blued barrels.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

If its an AAC upper, just send it to them. They'll remove it for free. Then sell it to someone on here provided you did tear it up already.

I have two AAC uppers and had both 51t mounts taken off by AAC themselves. I've got an SAS can with its own mount.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Rockset only takes about 40ft lbs to break loose, but as was stated its not so temp sensitive(I think my bottle says 2400 degrees). I have had good success with just using an adjustable wrench wrapped in electrical tape. I also have a Giessele reaction rod though. I should buy the damn little AAC tool but I do so few muzzle devices I always just grab the adjustable wrench.

Once you get the old off, use a steel brush and some brake cleaner or acetone to clean the old threads well.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

AAC 51T, soaked barrel tip with the 51T in boiling water about 3-4 hours, it eases off with wrench on the flats. One time application of boiling water.