laser engraving touch up gone wrong

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Re: laser engraving touch up gone wrong

Post by ncorry »

Ident's engraving looks very, very good. How's you darken the new engraving?
v6pwr
Silent Operator

Post by v6pwr »

ncorry wrote:Ident's engraving looks very, very good. How's you darken the new engraving?
Ident and some other engravers blacken the raw aluminum that's left behind after the engraving. Technically, they use an aluminum oxidizer chemical, ie Aluminum Black and the likes, brushed over the exposed engraving and it will oxidize and turn black. The extent of darkening is based on how much is applied.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

ncorry wrote:Ident's engraving looks very, very good. How's you darken the new engraving?
Ident did a great job. I called them several times before sending the piece off to them and they were always courteous in answering my questions.

When I got it back it had what I took to be lubricant all over the area where the engraving was done. It was probably an aluminum darkening compound that they apply after engraving. It wiped off and of course looks good now.
JJH
Silent Operator

Post by JJH »

v6pwr wrote:
Ident and some other engravers blacken the raw aluminum that's left behind after the engraving. Technically, they use an aluminum oxidizer chemical, ie Aluminum Black and the likes, brushed over the exposed engraving and it will oxidize and turn black. The extent of darkening is based on how much is applied.
The second that Al is exposed to air, it begins oxidizing. Any blackening agent will work better on freshly exposed surfaces than after. AL blackener reacts with the copper in the alloy. I have found that darker staining can be obtained using a copper brush to expose the surface.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Does anyone see a reason I can't leave the original etching on so I don't have to get this receiver refinished?

I talked to Ident about this extensively and they insist that they have many times done secondary engravings on firearms, including NFA restricted items... even for the ATF themselves when things get imported that don't meet US engraving requirements.

My expectation would be that since both engravings 100% match and were done before the tax stamp was issued, I should be good to go. The original etching almost looks like it was simply stenciled on, doesn't even look engraved now that it's got some wear on it.

Really don't want to shell out the $100-$200 I just got quoted to have the lower stripped and cerakoted.... not to mention headache of doing this once tax stamp is issued.

I bought some spray paint, sprayed it onto some cardboard and dabbed it onto an area of the receiver where it will never be seen once built. The paint is a slightly different shade than the original finish. I'm concerned it will look like crap if I just tape off and spray over the bad etch job.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

voip-1 wrote:Does anyone see a reason I can't leave the original etching on so I don't have to get this receiver refinished?

I talked to Ident about this extensively and they insist that they have many times done secondary engravings on firearms, including NFA restricted items... even for the ATF themselves when things get imported that don't meet US engraving requirements.

My expectation would be that since both engravings 100% match and were done before the tax stamp was issued, I should be good to go. The original etching almost looks like it was simply stenciled on, doesn't even look engraved now that it's got some wear on it.

Really don't want to shell out the $100-$200 I just got quoted to have the lower stripped and cerakoted.... not to mention headache of doing this once tax stamp is issued.

I bought some spray paint, sprayed it onto some cardboard and dabbed it onto an area of the receiver where it will never be seen once built. The paint is a slightly different shade than the original finish. I'm concerned it will look like crap if I just tape off and spray over the bad etch job.
It won't hurt anything, it can't possibly be illegal. Run it and move on.
AndyT
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AndyT »

Yeah.. this thread convinced me to just send my lowers in to Ident. Sorry yours got screwed up but I'm glad you posted here about it so others don't have the same problem.