help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by voip-1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi guys.

So, my plans changed. Went into the local gun shop to put a deposit down to have them get me a complete AAC MPW 9" and walked out with a 9" AAC complete upper they forgot they even had. Apparently (for unknown reasons) the guy who special ordered it opted for complete rifle instead.

I want to finish it as close as possible quality wise to what AAC includes with the factory MPW, which has a lot of features listed that I'm not sure are specific to the upper or entire rifle;

http://www.advanced-armament.com/MPW_p_628.html

Looking for recommendations on lower, trigger group, pistol sized buffer tube and any other odds and ends. Will probably slap a pistol brace on it until I get the ATF paperwork completed (and many thanks to Sharkbite who had recommended this).

Cost wise it would be nice to end up with same quality parts as the MPW but at or below that price. MPW comes with nice goodies that I like such as magpul furniture, 2 stage Giessel trigger, etc.

Thanks again, looking forward to this as a side project while I'm staying home a while to help my wife with the new baby.

Image

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
defiant2
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:41 am

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by defiant2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 pm

May be silly, but whichever lower (if ambi is important, perhaps Seekins) you decide to buy, you may want to register it as a pistol. (If you want to use immediately. (Good point Toxarch). But...) Some recent form 1's that are e-filed have been getting back in less than two months... Just in time for you to run screaming from baby-confinement duty! (And if you won't be shooting in the meantime, the next poster's feedback is spot on).

Just got the Aac pistol myself, you will like that upper. No worries about can concentricity there!

Regards,
Last edited by defiant2 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is dumb."

User avatar
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by Toxarch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Don't register it as a pistol. You are planning to make it an SBR.

You have the same upper and BCG they use. You just have to build the lower.

Stripped lower (whatever brand you want)
LPK without FCG (whatever brand you want)
Geissele Trigger (multiple models available, my build has an SSA)
Buffer tube, buffer spring, H2 buffer (whatever brand you want)
Magpul CTR stock
Looks like a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

I would change the grip to something else. I prefer the ERGO grip, but whatever kind you want should be fine. You know the look you want since you are going for that rifle, just tweak it a little to make it the way you want. And if you are eFiling, skip the cost of the pistol build. eFiled Form 1s are getting stamps in under 30 days. Wait for the stamp and then build the lower.

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by voip-1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Toxarch wrote:Don't register it as a pistol. You are planning to make it an SBR.

You have the same upper and BCG they use. You just have to build the lower.

Stripped lower (whatever brand you want)
LPK without FCG (whatever brand you want)
Geissele Trigger (multiple models available, my build has an SSA)
Buffer tube, buffer spring, H2 buffer (whatever brand you want)
Magpul CTR stock
Looks like a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

I would change the grip to something else. I prefer the ERGO grip, but whatever kind you want should be fine. You know the look you want since you are going for that rifle, just tweak it a little to make it the way you want. And if you are eFiling, skip the cost of the pistol build. eFiled Form 1s are getting stamps in under 30 days. Wait for the stamp and then build the lower.
Thanks to both of you, that makes a lot of sense to me. So make sure that when the lower get Bg check run just have hem run it as a carbine. I need to set up a trust so eventually my son will get it, as soon as the trust is set up and I have a lower I will get the electronic form in.

Couple other quick questions..

I am leaning towards a JP silent buffer tube and spring.. Would I just want the JPSCS-15 for this upper?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Can anyone recommend a specific lower parts kit that is not a ripoff?

Thanks much guys. This will be fun while I am out over the next couple of weeks.

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3801
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by tallburnedmidget » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 pm

voip-1 wrote: Thanks to both of you, that makes a lot of sense to me. So make sure that when the lower get Bg check run just have hem run it as a carbine. I need to set up a trust so eventually my son will get it, as soon as the trust is set up and I have a lower I will get the electronic form in.

Couple other quick questions..

I am leaning towards a JP silent buffer tube and spring.. Would I just want the JPSCS-15 for this upper?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Can anyone recommend a specific lower parts kit that is not a ripoff?

Thanks much guys. This will be fun while I am out over the next couple of weeks.
That is the JP Silent buffer tube you want. Beware it will spoil you when it comes to buffer setups!

jwb47
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by jwb47 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 am

TO the O.P. , If you are buying a new stripped lower It is recorded as other on the 4473 and that is how its reported on the nics check . You dont register it as pistol or rifle . If you want to use a sig brace until you get your form 1 back its no big deal , you cant add a rifle stock until your form one comes back and you have the lower engraved until then it is simply an ar pistol . All this recording at time of purchase stuff has been hashed over a million times yet it still rears its ugly head with mis-information and nonsense . If for what ever absurd reason a dealer records your stripped lower as a rifle and you then put it all together with your 9 inch barrel you will be in possesion of an unregisterd sbr . I do not have a clue why anybody would think converting a pistol to an sbr would be any more difficult than putting a short barrel on a carbine other than you can use your pistol with the 9 inch barrel until the form 1 comes back but you cant use the 9 inch upper on a carbine until the stamp comes back .

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:40 pm
Location: Western slope Colorado

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by Sharkbite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 am

^^^EXACTLY^^^

In Colorado when you input the info into the background system, it asks if its a handgun, longgun or other. NO OTHER GUN INFO is put in. No serial #, no description. Nothing

The 4473 WILL record S/N but the "other" box should be checked by the dealer.

Make sure he checkes the correct box and then ask for a copy of the completed form. Put that with your records and you can produce it later if some issue comes up. Easy piesy

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by voip-1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Sharkbite wrote:^^^EXACTLY^^^

In Colorado when you input the info into the background system, it asks if its a handgun, longgun or other. NO OTHER GUN INFO is put in. No serial #, no description. Nothing

The 4473 WILL record S/N but the "other" box should be checked by the dealer.

Make sure he checkes the correct box and then ask for a copy of the completed form. Put that with your records and you can produce it later if some issue comes up. Easy piesy
Super awesome and thanks shark for all of the advice you gave me over IM. Since you are also in CO do you know any engravers that can engrave the lower after I get it? I will do that after the trust is set up and while I am waiting on the form 1 to go through.

Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:40 pm
Location: Western slope Colorado

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by Sharkbite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm

I use a local gun shop. He is a little high but i dont have to ship, insure or worry about my lower getting lost in the mail.

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: help me finish my AAC 9" upper build (plz)

Post by voip-1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Sharkbite wrote:I use a local gun shop. He is a little high but i dont have to ship, insure or worry about my lower getting lost in the mail.
Good deal I am sure I can find someone who can do it. Prairie Arms probably.

Post Reply