PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Post by voip-1 »

Hi everyone.

New to the board and very new to 300 BLK.

Primarily looking to get into 300BLK to get something that has better HD/SHTF properties as well as just a fun range toy. This will be my first foray into 300 BLK as well as first foray into SBR (and probably eventually suppressed) class III weapons. I was looking at 308s but with Colorado's stupid new magazine laws, I am better off going 300 BLK since I should be able to use the pile of Magpul PMAGs that I already own (and that are still legal to use, for now anyway). Also like that potentially a 300BLK can be converted to 5.56 if needed down the road, or if ammo prices drop and the cartridge gets popular enough could even convert other 5.56 rifles to the .30.

I've owned several 5.56/2.23 ARs with the current one in the stable being PWS MK114 2.23 Wylde which I really like. I love how cleaning running this is but understand that piston driven might not be the best choice for a 300 BLK rifle which is why I'm considering AAC and others (Novatek?). Reading conflicting information about the benefits/drawbacks of going to a 9-9.5 barrel vs a 12.5. 12.5 seems better "all purpose" to me in an SBR but I guess that there is a school of thought that if you're going short, then go as short as possible and get into a pistol/SMG sized weapon, especially if running a suppressor and using in an HD situation.

Would prefer a pre-built rig but could build my own if needed... we have a baby arriving shortly and not going to have a lot of time (or sleep) on my hands for quite a while.

Definitely any guidance from the guys here would be welcome.

Thanks!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi there and Welcome!

Piston systems have not worked for 300BLK in the past (unless someone has some special custom rig job that somehow works).

I own a 16" carbine gas AAC upper and they are top notch no fuss right out of the box (in my experience).
I have built a 7.5" upper on my SBR but have yet to really put it through it's paces so I can comment on both AAC uppers and shorty uppers.

If you aren't hunting then a lot of the extra speed and barrel length points are out the window. I also I own a suppressor and having the 7.5" with the suppressor is very nice. The 16" does fine with the suppressor but carrying it around or maneuvering it with the suppressor on is a stationary job not one while stalking/walking/moving. The SBR stands up well and is completely maneuverable with the suppressor on.

SO, having both types of rigs to draw experience from and knowing the rifle is only punching paper I would go with the 9" upper knowing that you will likely move into a suppressor as most 300BLK owners do. If you aren't really thinking about a suppressor that mentality may likely change if you ever see first hand a subsonic suppressed round being fired. Me, I was hooked on the idea simply from youtube videos, and the live experience was even more awesome than I could have imagined :)
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Thanks very much for the response!

I have a 5.56 that I might be able to adapt to take the same suppressor that I ended up using on the 300 rifle ... and with the longer barrel it's a bit better suited for varmint hunting especially with ammo costs being what they are.

So, leaning towards the 9" I guess.

You commented that piston systems don't work well for 300BLK, my understanding is that the PWS system is working very well, but will not cycle to battery when shooting suppressed loads without a can on the rifle.

I love the PWS piston setup, but practicality might win out here since the AAC is $400 or more cheaper, which pays for the tax stamps on the suppressor and the rifle.

Also, I see Daniels has a 300BLK integrated suppressed rifle for a somewhat insane price. Maybe that's the reason I don't see it discussed much here. Even at $1600(rifle)+800(suppressor)+400(tax stamps) the AAC is cheaper, and has more flexibility. Not sure what DD is thinking with that one.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Congrts on the baby :!:
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

randyrucker wrote:Congrts on the baby :!:
Thanks! :mrgreen:

Any words of wisdom on 300BLK? :lol:
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Welcome

Im also in Co and have to live with the mag ban. Like you i had a pile of 223 AR mags so 300blk made sense from that point of view

I started by just getting a 16" carbine gassed barrel and converting one of my 223 guns. Quickly learned that (other then for hunting with supersonic loads) the extra barrel length didnt get me anything.

Bought a 9" AAC upper and have not regreted it a bit. I get almost the same velocity outta my super loads as with the 16" tube and the 9" runs in all 4 modes (super, subs, can, no can)

I dont see the benefit of the 12.5" barrel. Either you are chasing max velocity and need 16+" or you want the smaller OAL. I just dont see the 12.5" getting you either place.

I would definitely go with a DI gun in this caliber and ABSOLUTLY get it with a PISTOL length gas system. Other styles may work but the DI Pistol gas WILL work

You mention NFA stuff.... A word of caution. I blame this caliber for my NFA addiction. Before i started down the 300blk road i had ZERO tax stamped stuff (35+ years of serious shooting prior). Now i have a growing stamp collection. 4 cans, 3SBRs and 2 others im waiting on. Even my EDC pistol has a threaded barrel. Its like oreo cookies... You will not be able to stop at one :shock:

Do it...jump in. The waters fine
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Thanks Sharkbite very much for the information and advice. I think you are right about 9" vs 12.5". As a range gun going out to 100 yards, as well as an HD gun, the 9" doesn't really give anything up to a longer barrel. I can always get/convert a 16/18/20.5 to this caliber later that I could use for more "all purpose" work including critter killing.

Are there any local FFL dealers you would recommend working with on this purchase? I'm tempted to simply get one from gun broker and once it's at a class III FFL then start up the paper-work for the tax stamp, which I'm guessing is going to take 6+ months.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I would rather have a 9 inch than 12.5 inch. If i was going to go much beyond 10 inch I would just go with a standard 16 inch. For short to med range the 9 inch does a fine job. For me neither length has the velocity to hunt deer beyond 200 yards. A 9 inch with a suppressor is balanced very nicely and is compact for walking in thick woods.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

voip-1 wrote:Thanks Sharkbite very much for the information and advice. I think you are right about 9" vs 12.5". As a range gun going out to 100 yards, as well as an HD gun, the 9" doesn't really give anything up to a longer barrel. I can always get/convert a 16/18/20.5 to this caliber later that I could use for more "all purpose" work including critter killing.

Are there any local FFL dealers you would recommend working with on this purchase? I'm tempted to simply get one from gun broker and once it's at a class III FFL then start up the paper-work for the tax stamp, which I'm guessing is going to take 6+ months.

As for "local" FFL's... I dont know what part of the state youre in. Ive used a dealer outta Co Springs for some suppressor purchases. Im not near there but he had em in stock. Better to make the road trip then wait on a form 3. IMO at least

PM me if you want his info.
defiant2

Post by defiant2 »

For out of the box ready, AAC pistol. 9in, add sig brace while waiting for stamp (or learn to love brace). GTG! Order sdn-6. Even better.

Regards,
"Now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is dumb."