PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Post by voip-1 »

attila. wrote:Be careful with 5.56 inside homes especially townhomes or those with families.

According to http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... x-o-truth/, 5.56 will pass through many more layers of standard wall material than one might expect. From all accounts I've been privy to, 5.56 is great as long as it hits a fleshy target. Drywall/sheetrock type materials don't slow it enough to make it safe indoors in my opinion.
In addition to the over penetration issues with 5.56 through sheetrock you also have to deal with the extreme noise and flash of firing the weapon in close quarters, without the benefits of hearing and eye protection.

I know more and more people are choosing AR for home defense, but I doubt any of them have fired one in a 12'x12' room without any ears and eyes protection.

I'll still stick with my shotgun for most of this HD stuff but certainly a 300BLK with a suppressor would really ruin someone's day who made the mistake of breaking and entering if I was working near my guns (or cleaning them) when they made their play.

I know a few people who have the attitude of "in an HD situation I don't give a sh!t about over-penetration".... however, I like my neighbors and don't want to kill one of them while shooting at an intruder.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

attila. wrote:Here's some food for thought that tells me to be careful with 5.56 (and pistol calibers too) inside homes, especially townhomes or those with families.

According to http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... x-o-truth/, 5.56 will pass through many more layers of standard wall material than one might expect. From all accounts I've been privy to, 5.56 is great as long as it hits a fleshy target. It seems drywall/sheetrock type materials don't slow it enough to make it inherently safe indoors.
Why in the world would you CHOOSE to load XM193 (55gn FMJ) as a home defense round. This aint the military, where only non-expanding ammo is allowed.

Any of the 223 varmint rounds would limit this penetration. A cpl boxes of Hornady TAP would be a good choice as well
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Sharkbite wrote:
attila. wrote:Here's some food for thought that tells me to be careful with 5.56 (and pistol calibers too) inside homes, especially townhomes or those with families.

According to http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... x-o-truth/, 5.56 will pass through many more layers of standard wall material than one might expect. From all accounts I've been privy to, 5.56 is great as long as it hits a fleshy target. It seems drywall/sheetrock type materials don't slow it enough to make it inherently safe indoors.
Why in the world would you CHOOSE to load XM193 (55gn FMJ) as a home defense round. This aint the military, where only non-expanding ammo is allowed.

Any of the 223 varmint rounds would limit this penetration. A cpl boxes of Hornady TAP would be a good choice as well
I don't think he's advocating loading XM193, I think he's pointing out that LOTS of homeowners don't understand ballistics and will load their magazines with whatever is cheap/available.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

OK guys, little update on my situation.

I found a local AAC dealer who can get me the 9" AAC MPW in about 3-4 weeks from a distributor... as a plus they will knock $100 from MSRP which pays for sales tax and avoids the whole gun-broker ship and FFL transfer nightmare with a class III firearm. This wait time is not intolerable to me since I have a baby coming in the next few days and won't have time to build/play/shoot anyways for a month or two anyways.

The only final hesitations I have on 300 BLK are ammo cost and availability. My father in law (who is 1000 miles away in MO) reloads, but I don't. Looks like I might have to get convertible with reloading if I'm going to do much shooting in this caliber.

Wanted a short barreled rifle for a while. After this my next purchase is likely to be a 20" in some fun caliber.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Ok. Went to the shop to place my order and it turned out they had a 9 inch AAC upper they had ordered for another guy who for whatever reason went with the full rifle. $1000 later I am now part of the 300BLK family minus lower, buffer tube and other bits and pieces. Funny how things work out.