PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: PWS MK112 vs AAC MPW vs 9? vs?

Post by voip-1 »

Is the AAC pistol the same as the SBR other than furniture?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

The pistol is new on their website. I bought a Upper and put it on a pistol lower i already had

I would buy a complete gun from AAC in a heart beat. The only caveat to that is i dont think that buffer tube will accecpt a Sig brace. So, you will have to swap that out.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Sharkbite wrote:The pistol is new on their website. I bought a Upper and put it on a pistol lower i already had

I would buy a complete gun from AAC in a heart beat. The only caveat to that is i dont think that buffer tube will accecpt a Sig brace. So, you will have to swap that out.
It won't kill me to wait on a stamp. How long could it take :shock: :shock:
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

voip-1 wrote:
Sharkbite wrote:The pistol is new on their website. I bought a Upper and put it on a pistol lower i already had

I just got 2 efiled form 1's back in 38 days!!! Paper forms are running 6-9 MONTHS!!!
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Sharkbite wrote:
voip-1 wrote:

I just got 2 efiled form 1's back in 38 days!!! Paper forms are running 6-9 MONTHS!!!
Awesome, got any links to the efile information?
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

BTW HD and SHTF are two different goals. From what I have seen, for most americans, 5.56 is the better HD round while 300BLK is probably the better SHTF round (until you run out). 5.56 just shreds unarmored animals, and quickly dumps energy into the meat with much less overpenetration than virtually any other HD round available. In the event of a miss, 5.56 quickly tumbles and loses velocity after hitting walls. This makes 5.56 the ideal HD round for anyone not living on 50 wooded acres.

Conversely, 300BLK penetrates better than WD40. It goes through auto glass, and urban/suburban walls, like water. Thats good when you have to fire at people taking cover behind cars, etc, but little sleeping Suzie 5 houses down might not appreciate it.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

mostholycerebus wrote:BTW HD and SHTF are two different goals. From what I have seen, for most americans, 5.56 is the better HD round while 300BLK is probably the better SHTF round (until you run out). 5.56 just shreds unarmored animals, and quickly dumps energy into the meat with much less overpenetration than virtually any other HD round available. In the event of a miss, 5.56 quickly tumbles and loses velocity after hitting walls. This makes 5.56 the ideal HD round for anyone not living on 50 wooded acres.

Conversely, 300BLK penetrates better than WD40. It goes through auto glass, and urban/suburban walls, like water. Thats good when you have to fire at people taking cover behind cars, etc, but little sleeping Suzie 5 houses down might not appreciate it.
Thanks for your insights on this. My primary HD gun is a Remington 870 that is loaded with #4 steel buck that disintegrates when it hits walls but offers about 8 inches of penetration in ballistics gel, so probably enough to stop an attacker (after four shells of the #4 the last two in the tube are #00 and the side saddle has PDX segmented slugs). I've never really considered a carbine/rifle for home defense as we are in the suburbs and without property to defend the chances of engaging someone more than 10 meters away are low. Definitely even with all of the range time I get I worry about over-penetration and would rather under-penetrate than over-penetrate in an HD situation.

I had read an interesting comment from someone not too long ago who made the case that 300BLK is in fact the perfect HD round when suppressed. I'll have to try to dig that up and see what the arguments were.

I do have a few mags of Hornady varmint hollow points ready for the AR, just in case a pack of rabid coyotes (or looters) were to make their way through the neighborhood.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

It won't kill me to wait on a stamp. How long could it take :shock: :shock:[/quote]

I just got 2 efiled form 1's back in 38 days!!! Paper forms are running 6-9 MONTHS!!![/quote]

Awesome, got any links to the efile information?[/quote]

Just google "ATF EFILE" and follow the links. Super easy to fill out. Pay the $200 tax with a CC at the end of the application and click "submit"

You will have to up load a copy of your trust doc. It prompts you where to do that. All in all pretty easy.

I cant wait for form 4's to come back online
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Sharkbite wrote:
Just google "ATF EFILE" and follow the links. Super easy to fill out. Pay the $200 tax with a CC at the end of the application and click "submit"

You will have to up load a copy of your trust doc. It prompts you where to do that. All in all pretty easy.

I cant wait for form 4's to come back online
Thanks Sharkbite. This is my first foray into class III so it looks like I've still got a bit of research to do... for example, I know what a gun trust is, but I don't have one currently.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Here's some food for thought that tells me to be careful with 5.56 (and pistol calibers too) inside homes, especially townhomes or those with families.

According to http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... x-o-truth/, 5.56 will pass through many more layers of standard wall material than one might expect. From all accounts I've been privy to, 5.56 is great as long as it hits a fleshy target. It seems drywall/sheetrock type materials don't slow it enough to make it inherently safe indoors.
Last edited by attila. on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.