300Blackout Journey -- Let me know what you think

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

300Blackout Journey -- Let me know what you think

Post by mr.revolverguy »

All,

First and foremost I was so fortunate to find this forum a while back. I have been lurking for sometime only to try and learn as much as possible from the brain trust within this forum. Needless to say I have learned so much from you all and I so thank you -- sincerely. Having learned so much on this journey I decided that I wanted to document my 300Blackout experiences for anyone else that may have been like me and contemplating taking their first step.

To clear things up before the questions and skepticism come rolling in, my website is totally self funded (no advertisements at all) and I gain nothing from anyone visiting. I started this website many years ago to document experiences like this 300Blackout journey I have been on in an effort to give back and share this great sport/past time we all enjoy with others, along with providing unbiased reviews.

The journey can be found here http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3460 with over 50 pictures of parts for my first build and loads I have been tracking in my spreadsheet -- example below. Stop by and let me know what you think, I will continue to document this journey as I develop more loads and have recently gained access to additional rifles through friendships.

Again thank you for your help 300blktalk.com and it's members.

Rifle Barrel Length Gas Tube Length Ammunition - Powder-Manual COAL Bullet Weight Bullet Type Velocity FPS Average Velocity FPS ES SD Group Size Weather Conditions Bolt Lock Back
Sun Devil Lower CMMG Barrel 300BlackOut 16' 1/7 Twist Pistol Reload A1680-11.3gr - Hornady #9 2.175 220gr Sierra Match King Low 1046 1057 34 13 1.420' - 50yards 55 Degrees 10-15MPH Gust Y
Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300Blackout Journey -- Let me know what you think

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Welcome and a nice objective (in describing your challenges) write up!

Looks like you basically hit every problem in the book hahahah. Good to know you solved almost all of them (if not all of them) by coming here and reading about the issues.

Any plans of adding a paragraph along the lines of "Based on my experience I would recommend people who want to jump in like I did do the following things:"

I ask because I do not think I have ever seen anyone provide such a write up on their journey that they could just add a bullet list of recommendations for newcomers. You definitely have the details of your experience noted very well so such a list could be backed up by your documented experiences and to hold some weight.
Don't feel like I am trying to be an editor on your article or anything like that, it was just a thought that popped into my head since this is the only comprehensive experience write up I've seen and it is a good one at that.

Thanks for sharing :)
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

Great thought, This something I surely believe can be done. Thank you.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Welcome.
carhartt61

Post by carhartt61 »

Very nice write up. You are way ahead of me in knowledge so I very much enjoy your blog. I fired my first AR blackout built yesterday so I've got many things to try this summer.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

welcome- now I ask myself why didn't I take the blue pill? (matrix reference) This has made me more of a reloader than I already was for sure.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Pretty good and a lot of good detail.

It is interesting the journey many have taken to get here with the 300 blk. I like to say I was there before it existed :mrgreen:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Welcome and nice write up.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 300Blackout Journey -- Let me know what you think - Upda

Post by mr.revolverguy »

300 Blackout Journey April 1 Update.
April 1, 2014 Update

I was able to get out to test a new load. This load is the most accurate I have seen thus far. Reminder I have a standard trigger, one that’s not horrible but not great either but one I believe is good for a high stress situations, which was my intent for building this rifle. The trigger measures in at 5 1/2 pounds on my trigger gauge. With a better trigger this group has potential to turn in one hole. Because I load for accuracy I will be backing it down to about 18.9gr of W296 where I saw promise for success and no pressure signs but not as good as the first group in the center of the target. The second group on the target (top left) had a flyer which was the one with the popped primer. Unfortunately this load proved to be hot and show signs of excessive pressure. Primers cratered, and out of 10 shots one primer was popped out. This is also a great example to heed the warning as it pertains to load data found on this page as part of this article and the guidance to utilize two reference manuals. On this specific load the Hodgdon Manual shows a max load of 20gr of W296 and the Nosler #7 Manual shows a max load of 19.5gr of W296. Again heed the warning to use reloading best practices, referencing two different manuals and WORKING UP your loads.

More pictures posted with this update and the complete article with over 60 pictures posted at http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3460
Check back frequently for updates to this journey
RupertBearz
Silent Operator

Post by RupertBearz »

Very nice blog, I will have to check it once in awhile for any updates!
Who Dares Wins