Barnes Bullets Plant is Running at Less Than 40% Capacity?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Barnes Bullets Plant is Running at Less Than 40% Capacity?

Post by mj36639 »

If I didn't hear it from someone here first hand I would never have believed it but now it makes total sense and explains everything. Barnes have been unable to meet demand for several years and these jokers don't even operate their plant on a full time basis. Yep it's true. Barnes bullets doesn't actually make bullets on Fridays :shock: You have got to be kidding me. I am shocked they are not running 6 or 7 days a week. To find out they aren't even running 40 hours a week when back orders are past due and new products like the 120 grain Tac TX don't even have a part number a month after they were supposed to be on retailer shelves is downright freaking unbelievable.

I have been mocked on this very forum for even suggesting companies like Barnes are not operating at full capacity or purposefully limiting the availability of product to drive up price. I was told the shortages were due solely to the panic of the last year and Barnes was operating at full capacity even though the supply issues pre-dated Sandy Hook. Now we know I was 100% correct.

When I worked for another large and well known firearms related company you better believe they operated their machines 6 and even 7 days a week to ensure orders and product release timelines were met. It completely boggles my mind that a business operates or should I say does not operate in such a manner.

Barnes stopped supporting it's customer base a long time ago. I think it's way past due that we return that favor and stop supporting them. I for one will never purchase a Barnes product again. Great companies like Nosler, Speer, Sierra, and Hornady are all working hard making great products for 300 Blackout shooters. They will be getting all of my money from now on. BARNES NOT ONE SINGLE PENNY.

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=87970
Last edited by mj36639 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barnes Bullets Plant is Running at Less Than 80% Capacit

Post by talonxracer »

24 hours a day x 7 days a week = 168 hours. If they work 4x10hr shifts = 40 hours = 23.81% of max POTENTIAL capacity. If they run two 4x10 shifts that is still below 50% capacity at 47.62%
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Outsydlooknin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Outsydlooknin »

I worked a job that we worked sun up to sun down 5 days a week, and 8 hours on Saturday. I will NEVER do that again. I made good money during that time, as a single man I had ALL kinds of money for toys. Only problem was, I had one day to cram the use of everything into. Try going to the bank on a Sunday to cash your check. Oh you wanted to go to the gun store ...try that on Sunday. You want to go to the outdoor range, try that on Sunday. Working 6 days a week just isn't worth it, especially if you have a family, I won't do it.

Working 4 10's, been there too. Sounds good, but after about 8 hours you really don't do a whole lot production wise. But it's better for the employees, they save a days worth of gas driving to work. Being off during the week one scheduled day is nice, you can plan any kind of doctor visit our any appointment for the scheduled day off.

I would MUCH rather work 4 10's or 5 8's Monday thru Friday.
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

talonxracer wrote:24 hours a day x 7 days a week = 168 hours. If they work 4x10hr shifts = 40 hours = 23.81% of max POTENTIAL capacity. If they run two 4x10 shifts that is still below 50% capacity at 47.62%
Didn't think about it that way but very good point. The company I work for now has a manufacturing division that runs 24/7 and they have not seen the unprecentdented 6+ year demand increase that the firearms industry should be responding to. The previous firearms related company I mentioned also ran 3 shifts.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Maybe they are having trouble getting inventory. With the rush everything is getting short. If they do have the product they could add extra people or shifts. I am not defending them in any way because I will never shoot another Barnes bullet unless it is the last bullet I have left. But it looks like as many bullets as is wanted on this forum alone they could up it a little. ( or maybe Remington could start doing a little better )Hope you get all the bullets you want in the near future.
lupy123
Silent But Deadly

Post by lupy123 »

Are you telling me more conflicting news. I thought The Freedom Group was running machines 24/7 to meet demand as told by others on this site. As for Barnes, they run their machines Monday to Thursday. Off Fri, Sat, Sun. This is how they have been from the beginning. This comes from one who actually went to the plant/office on a Friday and was told by an office person. Like I have stated before, why produce more and decrease profits (by overtime, wear and tear on machines, electricity to run, etc) and thus decrease demand. When a company can run at bare min., keep demand high, and thus have a better profit margin. Econ 101. Supply vs. Demand. As the supply dwindles, demand goes higher, and so does the price.
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

All employees cut back to 29 hours because of obamacare? :mrgreen:
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Outsydlooknin wrote:I worked a job that we worked sun up to sun down 5 days a week, and 8 hours on Saturday. I will NEVER do that again. I made good money during that time, as a single man I had ALL kinds of money for toys. Only problem was, I had one day to cram the use of everything into. Try going to the bank on a Sunday to cash your check. Oh you wanted to go to the gun store ...try that on Sunday. You want to go to the outdoor range, try that on Sunday. Working 6 days a week just isn't worth it, especially if you have a family, I won't do it.

Working 4 10's, been there too. Sounds good, but after about 8 hours you really don't do a whole lot production wise. But it's better for the employees, they save a days worth of gas driving to work. Being off during the week one scheduled day is nice, you can plan any kind of doctor visit our any appointment for the scheduled day off.

I would MUCH rather work 4 10's or 5 8's Monday thru Friday.
absolutely,,,never said you work your employees to death, I was merely pointing out the math discrepancy, LOL.

And 4x10's is an awesome schedule, having a weekday off to attend to stuff that would require taking time off of work is a benefit to both the worker and the employer.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

lupy123 wrote:Are you telling me more conflicting news. I thought The Freedom Group was running machines 24/7 to meet demand as told by others on this site. As for Barnes, they run their machines Monday to Thursday. Off Fri, Sat, Sun. This is how they have been from the beginning. This comes from one who actually went to the plant/office on a Friday and was told by an office person. Like I have stated before, why produce more and decrease profits (by overtime, wear and tear on machines, electricity to run, etc) and thus decrease demand. When a company can run at bare min., keep demand high, and thus have a better profit margin. Econ 101. Supply vs. Demand. As the supply dwindles, demand goes higher, and so does the price.

Just to be clear, and I think we are making the same point. Barnes IS owned by Freedom Group as is Remington. Makes you wonder.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Don't they run 10 hour shifts rather than 8?

You are trolling at this point, by the way.