DOJ ready to announce an expansion of Firearm background che

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Re: DOJ ready to announce an expansion of Firearm background

Post by ScottB70 »

I was saying that they DO submit your information before you buy the gun. But they don't confirm that you did or did not actually buy the gun you were approved for.
Jargonhead
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jargonhead »

I believe our founding fathers that left the tyranny of Europe used the proper wording. There was no way the Japanese would invade the US because of the fear of 'a rifle behind every blade of grass'. Only these modern lawmakers opine on what the right to bear arms really means.

Starting with 'shall not be infringed'

1. To transgress or exceed the limits of; violate: infringe a contract; infringe a patent.
2. Obsolete To defeat; invalidate.

These days we have to wait for SBR papers... and be taxed, when we already own a handgun, wait for silencer papers... and be taxed, when we have a bow or crossbow. Where does it end?

I don't blame obama or the libs, just the people that elected them

Rob
What happened to winners...now everyone gets a ribbon
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

ScottB70 wrote:I was saying that they DO submit your information before you buy the gun. But they don't confirm that you did or did not actually buy the gun you were approved for.
Correct, but the gun(s) you buy are recorded on the 4473 form and the dealer retains the forms for BATFE review, so they do have access to what you buy.

And if you buy two or more in a five day period the dealer sends a multiple gun purchase report to the local law enforcement agency.
BullShooter

Post by BullShooter »

VENT625 wrote:
ScottB70 wrote:
VENT625 wrote:There already is a gun registry, its called the BATFE. Everytime you purchase a gun, your name/address and serial number are sent to them. Its "registered".
I was told buy a gun shop owner that they do submit your name, social security number, address, and serial number when they do a background check. quote]

That statement makes no sense. What are they doing the background on if they dont submit you name, address, and social security number?

The form you fill out, personal info, mental health questions, and firearm info is all sent to the BATFE. If the gun you buy is used in a crime, the BATFE can trace it to who bought it, and maybe track if from there.
I am an FFL dealer. Your personal information is sent to the FBI for a background check if one must be done for your purchase. No serial number is submitted, only whether it is a handgun or long gun. The 4473 is NEVER submitted to the ATF or FBI for "registration". I don't know how many times a day I have this conversation with a customer due to mis-information.
1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

VENT625 wrote:
ScottB70 wrote:
VENT625 wrote:There already is a gun registry, its called the BATFE. Everytime you purchase a gun, your name/address and serial number are sent to them. Its "registered".
I was told buy a gun shop owner that they do submit your name, social security number, address, and serial number when they do a background check. quote]

That statement makes no sense. What are they doing the background on if they dont submit you name, address, and social security number?

The form you fill out, personal info, mental health questions, and firearm info is all sent to the BATFE. If the gun you buy is used in a crime, the BATFE can trace it to who bought it, and maybe track if from there.
I dont know who you work for but this post shows youre yet another misinformed gun shop stooge. The 4473 has all the purchase info on it, that never goes to the ATF. Only thing they know is I'm buying a gun, not what type or the SN. Also there isnt a database where they can type in the SN and find out who bought it. The ONLY way they could know that is to go to the FFL the gun was bought from which they wouldnt know to begin with short of getting the manufacturers records of what SNs went to what dealer, go through that FFLs records and find that 4473 that has your name and the SN of that gun. This isnt CSI homer. Knock off your fear mongering BS.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
Noveau
Silent But Deadly

Post by Noveau »

DOJ needs to police itself before they try their hand at policing others. Think Fast & Furious.
UserX
Senior Silent Operator

Post by UserX »

VENT625 wrote:
ScottB70 wrote:

Form 4473 is required by FFL's, the 4473 is to be stored by the dealer in the Bound-Book or is it with their Bound-Book, hell I need to brush up, been a while since I made this argument. Furthermore, If I had purchased my firearm from an FFL, then a trace through local authorities may end up at me but you have nothing to show that I currently own and store the firearm. Firearms are legally given, traded, and sold on the open market without form 4473, of course this is dependent on the state you live in and has nothing to do with a federal registry.
Last edited by UserX on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 am, edited 10 times in total.
I am a conservative political activist so be warned. Checkout my political news BLOG "The Free Republic" at http://freerepublic.suckmyblog.com
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

A Texas CHL exempts you from NICS. No call is made, your CHL info is noted on the 4473 and it's cash and go.
UserX
Senior Silent Operator

Post by UserX »

L1A1Rocker wrote:A Texas CHL exempts you from NICS. No call is made, your CHL info is noted on the 4473 and it's cash and go.
Same in AZ
I am a conservative political activist so be warned. Checkout my political news BLOG "The Free Republic" at http://freerepublic.suckmyblog.com
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

UserX wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:A Texas CHL exempts you from NICS. No call is made, your CHL info is noted on the 4473 and it's cash and go.
Same in AZ
Same goes for Kansas
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln