Should price of UMC supersonic be raised to help availabilit

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

How much should a box of improved UMC supersonic cost at MSRP (street prices would be lower)?

$12.99
55%
$13.99
6%
$14.99
19%
$15.99
11%
$16.99
5%
$17.99
2%
$18.99
2%

Total votes: 123

300Blk
Site Admin

Should price of UMC supersonic be raised to help availabilit

Post by 300Blk »

I am asking this personally. Should price of UMC supersonic be raised to help availability?

Few people know this, but the oil shortages and lines of the 1970s were NOT because of the reduced oil supply during the Carter administration. It was the Nixon and Ford administrations that put in price controls so that as supply was outstripped by demand, the price could not raise to account for this. The result was people waiting in line and rationing, and hoarding fuel that they didn't need. There was little incentive to produce more if the oil companies could not charge more.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... /?page=all

During this ammo panic, people would resell ammo on Gun Broker for much higher prices.

Would you rather have very low prices but never be able to find it, or a few bucks more a box and have it be easier to find? Higher prices increase availability in two ways:

1. Fewer people hoard and scalp it.
2. More incentive to make more of it even if making more of it means investing in more machines and making less of other cartridges that have more profit margin.

How much would you pay for an improved UMC supersonic knowing there is a tradeoff between price and how likely you can actually buy it? The higher the price, the more is made, and the less hoarding.

Vote:
bigbigpig

Re: Should price of UMC supersonic be raised to help availab

Post by bigbigpig »

I know nothing about Remington's manufacturing commitment or capabilities in regard to 300 BLK but I see ammo in every other caliber I shoot on the shelves at guns stores and ranges. And the prices are coming down. 9mm is below $20/box again and even .22 lr is sitting on the shelf again. So I'd rather just be patient because I think it's coming back.

I have a 300 BLK I put together 13 months ago that I've never fired. Not because I can't find ammo but because I'm too damn stubborn to pay $2 per round. Bulk buys are cheaper but go so fast that I can't find any in stock.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

I jumped on the 300BO shortly after it's entrance on the market. I also invested quite heavily buying UMC ammo because it was available then. At the time I thought I might be a bit short of nuts, but in today's world, not so. If I needed to buy now, I wouldn't be opposed to about $15 a box.
d00d

Post by d00d »

Price it based on what it competes with, then let the market determine actual selling price.
Meanwhile, invest in the future and build more production capacity, or is raw material availability the constraint?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

d00d wrote:Price it based on what it competes with, then let the market determine actual selling price.
The market has said that the price is too low as proven by lack of availability and people reselling it at higher prices. Raising the price to the actual market value will both provide incentive to make more and limit hoarders.

I am not saying that is what I want to happen as I wanted the $12.99 MSRP - but there is an argument to be made that that was too low. I don't know. I am trying to decide how I feel about it and get feedback.

Think about it this way - do you expect Federal and Winchester to rush to get into the 300 BLK market if they say "Well, we have to compete with Remington at $12.99 MSRP - maybe it isn't worth getting into 300 BLK."
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

Manufacturers, Remington in particular, just doesn't seem committed to the caliber. I've never seen the ammo at Walmart or Bass Pro from them since I jumped in 1.5-2 years ago. The ammo needs to stay around $15/20 for FMJ. This seems reasonable with 223 FMJ available for $8/20 brass cased.

To be honest, I just don't think Remington has the capacity to produce much ammo in any caliber. 90% of the ammo I see at Walmart is Federal and Winchester. When you move over to Bass Pro, Hornady steps it up. Neither has much Remington ammo.

I'm still surprised Federal and Winchester haven't dabbled in it. I'm still amazed Hornady only loads a 208gr load. They make other bullets, but I guess they aren't profile friendly enough to stake their name on it.

Raising prices won't help, 22's are up 25+% and still aren't really available. Until supply improves, little will improve in the 300 BLK arena.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Remington makes billions of rounds per year of ammunition.

But they cannot make more ammunition as they are already running 24/7 (literally).
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

I picked $14.99 msrp hoping street price to be about $12-$14. My opinion
is somewhat biased because I load my own, but that seems to be a fair price
to me. In my experience loading with jacketed components, reloading is about
half the cost of buying ammo. I can load my own for about $7 per box of 20
so street price should be a little less than double that. JMHO
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

If you want to know the answer, talk to UMCs wonks who im sure have already run the projections with much better numbers than we have access to. Thats kinda what corporations do.

Im not sure of the point of this thread. If you want understand manufacturing econ, take some statistical analysis classes at your local college. Or ask the econometrics guy at AAC who does your own market forecasting before you allocate manufacturing capacity?

I assume that UMC, and Federal, already know exactly what they are doing, as they have full-time, highly-paid guys looking at these numbers every day. If they arent buying many new assets to increase long-term production, their numbers probably show its still just a bubble that we ALL need to wait out.
Desert scrub
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Desert scrub »

For what it is I want it right back at the pricing I used to buy it at $12.99 retail and as low as $10.99 in some shops. It was supposed to be the low cost practice option and it's availability was a driving reason behind many people I know making the switch to 300blk. If it is priced in the retarded 308 realm and there isn't another cheap practice choice short of reloading then the 300blk will make a slow crawl to wildcat land again and eventually obsolescence.
And just to voice this opinion again, remington is absolutely tarded to have pulled the 115gr from production to retool. Flat out F'ing tarded. There wasn't a damned thing wrong with it and the demand was there they could had sold shit tons of it. But oh no, two bent tips... Stupid.