Mobil 1

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mobil 1

Post by Toxarch »

Froglube is nice when it's warm. It gets too thick in cold weather.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Toxarch wrote:Froglube is nice when it's warm. It gets too thick in cold weather.
Coat the part with Frog Lube, heat it with a hair drier, let it cool and then buff all the excess off. You end up with a dry-lubricated part that still smells good. :mrgreen:
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Why not use powder graphite as a lubricant? I've heard first hand from Canadian Forces guys who use this in the Arctic on C7 (M-16) rifles. It's light weight and you doesn't freeze obviously.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

2bad4u2 wrote:Why not use powder graphite as a lubricant? I've heard first hand from Canadian Forces guys who use this in the Arctic on C7 (M-16) rifles. It's light weight and you doesn't freeze obviously.
Im pretty sure graphite is toxic and wouldnt be good if it burned off in fumes. Im pretty sure it would also imbed into the aluminum receiver.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

farm use wrote:Im pretty sure graphite is toxic and wouldnt be good if it burned off in fumes. Im pretty sure it would also imbed into the aluminum receiver.
Graphite is just a form of carbon. Fumes (if any) would be a lot less harmful than any other lubricant you're using.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

You don't need 0W-whatever, 5W-30 Mobil1 will work just fine year round. The 5W and 10W are much easier to find. I use 10W-30 Mobil1 and I've never had a problem (SW Pa.). Rem oil is too light for most applications. It runs off leaving no protection on high load points.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Graphite eats aluminum. It is a terrible choice for an M16.

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/lubricants.html

"Graphite powder, although it is an excellent dry lubricant, has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum when there is possibility of moisture being present. Consequently, the USAF banned the use of Graphite lubricants on any USAF aircraft, several years ago."

http://web.archive.org/web/200710150454 ... esert.html

"Some of the soldiers in Iraq are using graphite lubricants in their weapons due to “gumming up” of cleaner lubricant and preservative (CLP) in weapons. Both ArmaLite Corp. and Colt DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF GRAPHITE LUBRICANTS UNDER ANY CONDITION. ArmaLite Corp. warns that graphite can encourage RAPID CORROSION of the aircraft grade aluminum used in the M16 family of weapons. This could lead to catastrophic receiver failure resulting in the injury or death of the operator. "
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

I've switched all of my weapons over to FireClean. The stuff works!

Before that I ran Rem Oil (both dry and wet) and CLP. Both of those worked good, but nothing like I'm seeing now with FireClean. Never went with motor oil before. I just don't trust something designed for a car to run in my firearm; the tolerances, environment, and functions are different.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKkSRLQN_A

I am extremely conservative when it comes to lubricants and want to see real testing.

From M4Carbine: Image

I use BreakFree CLP or M-Pro 7.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Robert, I see you have tri-flow up there and it looks good. I primarily use it for moving parts and not corrosion resistance but it looks like it's holding up o.k. That's a neat test, especially in a rough environment. I think when breaking in a rifle it is as much about friction as anything-i.e., thin, slick=better.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.