New cmmg with baffle strikes

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MDM

New cmmg with baffle strikes

Post by MDM »

Yep. My buddy just shot his blk upper he got from Midway. Shot it suppressed for the first time and got baffle strikes. Worst part is its a monocore and the last baffle is deformed. Just thought it would pass this on. Why sell a blk upper and thread it if the bore or threads aren't concentric and trash a $1100 suppressor. The round is meant to be suppressed. BS
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: New cmmg with baffle strikes

Post by wildfowler »

What kind of suppressor? You think it can be salvaged?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

Any pics of the strike? Also can you find out how much off center the threads are on the CMMG barrel?
-Exterminatus-
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

CMMG keeps coming up I these threads. Remember this when someone asks you what to buy.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

Quiet Riot wrote:CMMG keeps coming up I these threads. Remember this when someone asks you what to buy.
Yep,
and CMMG keeps saying it was only 1 or 2 barrels in a lot that were machined wrong. I keep hearing of new cases. But then again if I just spent $1100 on a suppressor that didn't come with the gun. I would check with a dowel to make sure the barrel bore, threads and suppressor baffles are all concentric.
Victor Lopez
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

MDM wrote:Yep. My buddy just shot his blk upper he got from Midway. Shot it suppressed for the first time and got baffle strikes. Worst part is its a monocore and the last baffle is deformed. Just thought it would pass this on. Why sell a blk upper and thread it if the bore or threads aren't concentric and trash a $1100 suppressor. The round is meant to be suppressed. BS

Two barrels to NEVER purchase, the CMMG and . . . see my sig line.
BradV
Silent Operator

Post by BradV »

Just curious as how the suppressor was mounted, direct thread or QD mount? If a mount, was there any type of shim installed?
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

Threading a barrel concentric to the bore isn't rocket science, I suspect something else may have contributed to the baffle strike. Would love additional details on the suppressor setup.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

FWIW- I've had two CMMG barrels that I've shot extensively with a thread on Phoenix Armory 30 caliber suppressor with no issues. The diameter of the exit hole on the suppressor is .34". Both barrels shot well, but the 16 inch pistol port 1:7 shot better than the 16" carbine port 1:8.
Charger442

Post by Charger442 »

like was mentioned earlier, there could be other factors, not just the barrel.

first thing i do when i mount a can i haven't shot on a new barrel, is VISUALLY check from the chamber end (bolt action, remove the bolt... ar, remove BCG) and make sure you cannot see the end of the can. if it can be seen and there is not a perfect circle of light, but more a football, then there is alignment issues.

if it was a screw on suppressor, then the blame might be more accurately placed with the barrel manufacturer. if it was placed on a FH/BRAKE etc, and it was mounted incorrectly with a crush washer instead of a peel washer and or shims, then that might be the culprit.

as a rule, I don't normally trust factory threaded barrels. i sent my RRA barrel to a smith and had them check the threads and the squareness of the shoulder to the bore and they timed my brake for me. it cost me a whopping $70 dollars..... well worth it to not ruin my favorite $1250 suppressor.