New wave of 300BLK trolls???

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: New wave of 300BLK trolls???

Post by Hardrockshot »

Someone give me the definition of a troll! I see several definitions, but I am still not sure what a troll is. And if someone wants to complain about the lack of ammo, come to Kalifornia where the legislature keeps taking MY second amendment rights from me. Yes, I roll my own, but I have got to wait for "new" parts to show up. When I find ammo, I buy it. I don't complain about price, I just smile and say thank you!

You might ask why I got into 300 BLK, it's because I like to shoot, and I don't care what I squeeze the trigger on, just as long as I get to put lead down range, Oh I sorry Kalifornia is going to out law lead, AGAIN.
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

jryock wrote:I've been shooting since I couldn't hold a gun on my own, and I have never been sold on the 5.56x45 cartridge. It's reliance on tumbling for damage and fact that it is heavily influenced by barriers never made me comfortable with using it on anything other than plinking or small game hunting. I'm convinced the only reason that the USG moved to 5.56x45 cartridge is to safe money on the costs of materials (bullets fired to enemy killed rate in Vietnam was around 50000:1).

SO... being a fan of the 30 (specifically the 7.62x51) cal's ability to drive through barriers and still put fatal hits on target, the 7.62x35 was a logical step for me to make for close in and rapid fire engagements. The availability of parts and magazines from standard AR/M16/M4's, and the ability to convert 5.56x45 brass were huge selling points. The 7.62x39 AK route wasn't very good for me since it doesn't use the standard bullet size and the shell casing is also unique.

Let's be really honest here. If the fecal matter really did hit the fan, there will be plenty of AR-style and AK-style weapons laying around. And I'll have my non-electrical reloading equipment around to do as I see fit.
you are doing the same thing the trolls are . actually the 5.56 loaded with 64 grain power point or barnes 70 grain bullets is an excellent round for deer. for me I like variety and have ar rifles in 22lr , 5.56 , 300 blk , 308 winchester and 458 socom . they all do the job they were intended for and over lap in some area . plus one on the reloading equipment I have got by for 35 years with an rcbs rock chucker . its built like a tank and still making ammo that is accurate and reliable . seldom do I ever shoot factory ammo unless I can catch the cabelas herter ammo on sale for my 5.56 rifles . cheap shooting and no need to pick up the cases.
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

Guys,

I have a couple of 6,8s, a couple of BLKs, and a Spectre in progress. Am a member of the 6,8 forum and here as well.

I don't find that either side is particularly tolerant of the other, but I don't find genuine animus either.

Have killed game with both the 6,8 and 300 BLK. Both chamberings work. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses. Neither is the "one stop shop" for all game ... personally I'd not want to be armed with either were I to run into an angry Brown Bear no less a pissed off Cape Buffalo.

Both chamberings are wonderful fun!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

eastern_hunter wrote:Guys,

I have a couple of 6,8s, a couple of BLKs, and a Spectre in progress. Am a member of the 6,8 forum and here as well.

I don't find that either side is particularly tolerant of the other, but I don't find genuine animus either.

Have killed game with both the 6,8 and 300 BLK. Both chamberings work. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses. Neither is the "one stop shop" for all game ... personally I'd not want to be armed with either were I to run into an angry Brown Bear no less a pissed off Cape Buffalo.

Both chamberings are wonderful fun!

interesting that you say that. If you are the same eastern_hunter over on 6.8 forums then maybe you can explain what you meant by this?
eastern_hunter wrote: Can't blame you at all for your reaction to the 300 BLK hype! Is BS for sure. I did the first 300 BLK as a 300/221 and then reamed the throat to 300 BLK later ... so was not influenced too much by the bull. If I were only going to have one AR for hunting it would be a 6.8. Fortunately have not had that limitation.
Taken from this thread just in case you think it is bull.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.p ... kout/page3

What Hype? What bull? what claim has been made that has not been substantiated? Where has it seriously been called anything other than what it is?

The difference I see is show me a post where a 300 blk called anyone getting a 6.8 an idiot. Because it happens all the time with 6.8 guys calling 300 blk owners such.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Lets not forget that Robert Silvers is still the Devil incarnate over on 6.8 forums.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

How about this thread, where they pretty much call Travis Haley a liar

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.p ... ar-discuss

346ci was banned from ARFCOM for saying the same crap he said there. Did 68 forums ban him?

What about the wonderful nicknames used for the 300 blk over there. 300bunkout, 300WTF, 300crackout, and others.

Constructor on there talks about an ARFCOM thread where a newbie asked about the 300 blk being a 1000yd cartridge. Constructor claims guys on arfcom agreed it was. I was in that thread and that is a bald faced lie. No one said it was anything of the sort. 500 yds or less emphasizing on the or less part.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

They still believe in the million dollar add campaign over there? You know the one that never produced a single add, because it never happened.

How about the claims that 300 blk guys are so stupid that they think because it is .30 caliber that automatically makes it more powerful than a .277 caliber.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

ratdog68 flat out admits he campaigns against the 300 blk, because he cannot stand Robert Silvers. Sounds mature and professional to me.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

SER wrote: First pull your panties out. you are starting to sound like my ex wife.

I never called the 300 blk a wildcat round.

Slivers Gave J.D Jones and others credit for the work developing the 300 whisper and the 300-221 fireball not me. both these rounds were documented to be wildcats. The work for the 300 blk was easy enough. all they had to do was develop a projectile with an ogive that would cycle in an AR platform.
And , like I said before... There aren't enough flaming threads? you have to start one of your own? I thought this was a shooting sport forum, I am starting to think it is a teenage girl hangout. OMG! did he really say that?

Once again... I am board. You read into things what you want to and now find it necessary to flame people behind their back.
Well, I think the panties comment has already been addressed :lol:

Yes, I see you now understand that the 30 cal bullet on a 223 case did not start with JD Jones. Glad we are making progress.

Flaming threads? Lets see, calling out whining and bitching and unfounded accusations is "flaming" but the whining, bitching, and unfounded accusations are legitimate? :lol:
Does this seem familiar?
if there isn't some serious changes in support soon this will truly be a wildcat round.
It should. You posted it.

How about this post:
Ok, I'm board, some of you are just looking for something to argue about. Sammi defines a wildcat as one that has never been supported by industry. when industry decides to support it is still referred to as a wildcat. Sammi is a voluntary organization, they do not make any rules for the industry.
Looks to me like the person starting the flaming has been found. Talk about "panties in a wad" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

gds,

The primary theme of this thread was a "wave of new trolls" not a discussion of the original volley fire between the camps of last year.

The 6.8 guys were indeed put out during that time by what I'd have to call "strident" interchanges. So was I to be honest ... because there is no perfect chambering for general hunting with an AR platform. Especially since we could not get any agreement on what "perfect" needed to do.

If you read my other posts on the 300 BLK I think you'll find that I have forwarded the opinion that both the 300 BLK and the 6.0 SPC II have very real strengths and make good hunting tools within slightly different ranges of use. Neither is perfect but both are quite good and exceed the effectiveness of the 5.56 on game within the range of use.

In the recent post here, I was commenting that I had seen no wave of new trolls (drawing that opinion from the last few months of postings on the 6.8 Forum). In recent thread:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.p ... s-vs-300bo

I was pleased that it did not descend and was pretty rational.

For those making a choice of chamberings based on very limited resources ... in other words won't have both ... the choice will vary depending on what is important to the person making the investment. I certainly am not going to throw rocks at either choice, just as I would not throw rocks at the fella who chooses a bolt rifle for piggies from a blind.

(I've done that and found the 9,3x62 to be extremely effective on piggies, warthog, and bushpig most often delivering DRTs. Why the 9,3x62? Because it fits in a standard length action and is thus lighter to carry than most .375s and I'd prefer to have the extra on African hunts ... just in case.)

So I don't see much of a "new wave of trolls." I did see some hype on both sides last year that did result in some hard feelings. Not so much any more ... and that's a good thing.