Any updates on Remington 300blk Ammo Production?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bearbait1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Any updates on Remington 300blk Ammo Production?

Post by Bearbait1 »

They show 30-221 basic on this page, with the note suitable for 300 BLK. It is listed at 1.4000+, so it depends on on how much "+", or whether additional or different brass is in the works.

http://www.captechintl.com/products.php?cat=14

That is why I asked. I have never used Jamison brass, but by reputation from folks who I do know who have used their basic have been pretty happy.

Craig
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

1.4000+ is not 300 BLK brass and cannot be used without trimming.

Coming out with something proprietary when the standard is out is like - well, making an HD-DVD player after the industry went with BlueRay.

It sounds to me like they think that they have to pay money to make 300 BLK brass and they are trying to work around that. That is not the case - it is free for them.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

buffalocountry wrote:Here is a new and upcoming source of 300 BO ammo hopefully to be available soon. Take a look as they are going to spool up for the manufacture and you can get your name in the hat to hold your place in line to purchase some. Prices are not the $11.96 for Remington 115 grainers found last year and the price may be the future for all shooters who don't reload. Reloading isn't a real bargain either price wise anymore.
say what?

with the limited supply of commercial ammo and the insane price hikes, reloading is even a better bargain now.

$0.26/rd for 220gr subs yea baby!
buffalocountry

Post by buffalocountry »

Finding the available components is still a matter of its own. I just scored 500 220 grain bullets and paid $216 for them, by the time I work up the load with powder, primer and brass it still runs me around .76 cents per round or $375 per 500 round batch. Last fall I purchased from a well known distributor 500 rounds of 115 grain Remington for $299 + shipping. Two weeks ago I drove over 100 miles to get 2 pounds of powder IMR 4227 and H 380 one each. They had primers in CCI brands for large and small rifle magnum only. Factor in fuel and dinner it adds up. Times are a changing...
Bearbait1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bearbait1 »

300Blk wrote:1.4000+ is not 300 BLK brass and cannot be used without trimming.

Coming out with something proprietary when the standard is out is like - well, making an HD-DVD player after the industry went with BlueRay.

It sounds to me like they think that they have to pay money to make 300 BLK brass and they are trying to work around that. That is not the case - it is free for them.

I completely understand where you are coming from, as this is your baby. From my (our) side reloading, having brass that only needs a bit of trimming is a bit better than 556 cases that need cutting and trimming. I would like to find some quantity of factory brass, just as a control on the accuracy side. It would be nice to have a proper headstamp, that is why I posed the question.

Craig
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

SSA, Nosler, Hornady, Remington, Federal - all make produce proper head-stamped brass. Getting it is another matter.
buffalocountry

Post by buffalocountry »

Sure is a problem, have been spending $34 bucks for Hornady 300 brass and just glad to get it. I am in the process of running my first 200 brass formed from .223 WW and WCC emptys. I am trimming to 1.368 +/- .001. Is this acceptable for all loads as I am getting ready to use Sierra 220 grain Match King projectiles? Also after forming the brass by using a Lee 300 Blackout die, is it necessary to resize the brass again prior to reloading it? I have a set of RCBS carbide dies just for the new Hornady brass as it needs to be sized or it will not accept the bullet in its factory form. I would think the newly formed brass would be ok for immediate trim and loading. Also are the primers indicated in the manuals necessary to use i.e. Winchester WLR...can I substitute a CCI primer safely? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

buffalocountry wrote:Sure is a problem, have been spending $34 bucks for Hornady 300 brass and just glad to get it. I am in the process of running my first 200 brass formed from .223 WW and WCC emptys. I am trimming to 1.368 +/- .001. Is this acceptable for all loads as I am getting ready to use Sierra 220 grain Match King projectiles? Also after forming the brass by using a Lee 300 Blackout die, is it necessary to resize the brass again prior to reloading it? I have a set of RCBS carbide dies just for the new Hornady brass as it needs to be sized or it will not accept the bullet in its factory form. I would think the newly formed brass would be ok for immediate trim and loading. Also are the primers indicated in the manuals necessary to use i.e. Winchester WLR...can I substitute a CCI primer safely? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
1.368" is the MAX length for the brass with 1.348" minimum, I trim mine to 1.361"
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

1.358 is the middle of the length range and what a manufacturer should shoot for.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

buffalocountry wrote:Finding the available components is still a matter of its own. I just scored 500 220 grain bullets and paid $216 for them, by the time I work up the load with powder, primer and brass it still runs me around .76 cents per round or $375 per 500 round batch. Last fall I purchased from a well known distributor 500 rounds of 115 grain Remington for $299 + shipping. Two weeks ago I drove over 100 miles to get 2 pounds of powder IMR 4227 and H 380 one each. They had primers in CCI brands for large and small rifle magnum only. Factor in fuel and dinner it adds up. Times are a changing...
i would never pay that much for 220's. you just need to keep an eye out for good deals, they still happen.

i'm loading 220gr's for $0.26/rd.

midway had a good deal on blemished 150gr's a couple weeks ago. 500 for $74.99.

but look at it this way. you are reloading 220gr subsonics for $0.76, which is STILL cheaper than commercial subsonics were even before the panics. you cannot compare 220gr loading costs with 115gr commercial ammo. it just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

these days brass costs me $0.00 as i just offer to clean up after the guys at the range blaze through all their 223/556. if you don't leave with 2x as much brass as you shot, it's not a good day at the range :mrgreen: