Bought a noveske 300blkout. I have many questions!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ace_scalade

Bought a noveske 300blkout. I have many questions!!

Post by Ace_scalade »

First things first, I only became a member a few minutes ago, but I have visited this site and read post that has helped me greatly so thank you all for that!
I still have several questions because I had never even heard of the 300blk until about a month ago when I ran across one and had to make a quick decision, so after only one phone call I left owning a noveske 300! First question, the man I bought it from kept mentioning the chrome free floating fluted barrel. Is that common with these ar style guns? And does it really make a lot of difference? If so what are the benefits?
Second question is how noveske compares to other brands just say colt for example? I know everyone likes their own maker, I'm just curious about the quality.
Third and final, I got a box of 20, Remington AAC 125 grain with purchase. And I have only shot 3 rounds because I cannot find any ammo that's not ridiculously expensive, and even then it's ammo that way surpasses my needs. I've got a MAJOR coyote problem and when my cows are in the front pasture, (approx 350 head) the coyotes will come sit at the tree line just 75% exposed! About 160 yards away. So will this grain of ammo be enough? And where on this planet can I find some without having to mortgage my home?! I'm from central Oklahoma btw. But I'll travel for bulk! Thank y'all!
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bought a noveske 300blkout. I have many questions!!

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

1st welcome. 2ed noveske is amazing. 3ed 125 is plenty. It's fast and will put them on there but. 4th do u reload??
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Ace_scalade

Post by Ace_scalade »

Thank you!! I am so glad noveske is awesome!! Ive been reading on the web about a free floating barrel and a free floating fluted bbl, and I'm still not really getting what I'm looking for..
But no sir, I am not reloading right now. I looked into it and people were saying I'd end up in the same position as I am now because if ammo wasn't available, then reloaders would have grabbed all of the primers, brass, ect.. And I'd have the equipment but no parts. But I would still like to get everything I need to do it, and maybe try the first 10 to 15 thru a different gun. Maybe reload a 30-30 or something... I wouldn't know what to buy to even get started. I did however watch a video on cutting down 223's into 300's. and I am not sure on how hard it is to do, and things to watch out for that could ruin your gun. Any advice on reloading, tools to buy, anything and everything I would need and the kinds of brands that seem to be the best is more than welcome, and greatly appreciated!
bamabaxter
Silent But Deadly

Post by bamabaxter »

I am semi new to this caliber myself. I just got into reloading and this http://ultimatereloader.com/ is a good site for deciding what equipment to buy and some tutorials on how to use the stuff. They do a good job of breaking down each brand and discussing the pros and cons of each. That site plus the wealth of info here should get you in the right direction. Asking what reloading equipment brand to buy is similar to the Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument(Chevy Rules). Most say buy Dillon, others swear by Redding. I personally got a Hornady AP and love it. They all have their quirks and you are only limited by your wallet.
I too have had to piece together my reloading stuff due to the mass panic, but it is all coming back slowly. If you make a point to stop at the small "mom and pop" gun stores while out and about, you can usually find lots of reloading stuff that has vanished from the shelves at larger name place i.e. Bass Pro, etc. Hope this helps.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Ace_scalade

Post by Ace_scalade »

Yes it helps a ton. Ill check that website out today when I get in! I may try to just buy some if each and keep the one that works for me, doing a certain task. (Lol that's why I have ford, Chevy, and dodge! But that's another forum) before you were reloading where were you getting ammo? Online or just go out and look? I may have found a pretty good place for it. I should know Wednesday, and whatever I get anyone in here wants any just let me know. Ill sell it to ya for exactly what it cost me to buy and ship it. I'm off the check some oil wells, taking my 300 just in case I get a shot off at a 'yote this morning! Thanks again! And if someone knows enough about the fluted barrels, and why they're special if you have time please let me know on that and the free floating barrel advantages..
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Welcome to the 300blk family!` LOL

I just recently got into the 300blk myself, though I did build my rifle just prior to this latest gun grab crap. I didnt decide to start reloading again(been a few years) till after the first of the year when any loaded ammo vanished and I had to get all the components other than a old lee challenger press I recieved as a gift 10 years ago(and sat in the box the whole time). The only parts that were an issue to find was powder and primers, but I was able to eventually find them at non-gouging prices, but it took constant vigilence. LOL
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
gravitas73
Silent Operator

Post by gravitas73 »

*grumble* another competing for ammo

just kidding, welcome =] I am also looking to buy a fully built Noveske 300 BLK in a SBR configuration. They are hard to find.

I know I'm being unreasonably picky but I don't want to mix brands on a lower and upper, since the uppers seem to be more available it would make sense.. but I'd feel dirty.
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

Free floating it will help but not much. U won't really notice. Most ar15 are with a noveske barrel because of how the gas block is. And midway has a lot of bullets but primers and powder is hard to find. Brass is easy right now because you can convert.
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Ace_scalade

Post by Ace_scalade »

*grumble* lol no I'm not competing for ammo just cause I try to undercut and offer more money on every deal I see am I?! Haha JK, I would never. And like I said I'm pretty sure I found a place that is a smaller store, compared to the huge factories, but the prices are amazing. To avoid future ups charges I'm going to place a bulk order of whatever people want\if anything, and road trip or have my friend fly me. Just a small plane, not a g5. I'm not a "baller"! Lol, but if I got anything for anyone else I'd charge what I paid and maybe split that it took to get there.
Thank you I love just looking at that shiny barrel and everything else is blacked out! I think having matching upper and lowers in my opinion, to ME<-- is only important if you plan on shooting the matching gun very little and plan on passing it down. If I have one that I can just take the lower off and put a cheaper one that I picked up at a gunshow, and if it gets dropped or scratched.. No big deal. But honestly I think it's always a good idea to keep matching parts to stick em back on if the time comes to sell it.. And also I watched a YouTube video of a man shooting 950 yards and hitting the target with a 300! Is that bs? How could that heavy billet not drop? And what's the yardage that gives you the max everything from, someone just pick specs, 16"chrome fluted bbl is my suggestion.. Js.. Thanks again!
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Free Floated barrels tend to shoot more consistently and are not affected by grip, or resting the handguard on something when shooting.
Fluting a barrel does a few things;
1. Fluted barrels have more surface area and dissipate heat faster.
2. Fluted barrel have more rigidity. Same architectural reasons that the old fluted Roman and Greek stone columns could bear more weight than round columns.
3. Fluting a barrel slightly reduces the weight over the same round profile.
So, to sum up, cooler...lighter...stronger.

And CHROME barrel is GOOD..Chrome lined will last longer than non chrome lined, although match shooters will tell you they will be a tad less accurate than non-chrome lined.