Best defensive load for 300blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Best defensive load for 300blk

Post by trenttyre »

What commercially available round is the best for defensive purposes? Is it the barnes black tip? This is not for home defense either, this would be more of a homestead gun out in the boonies so it would have to be able to blow through small barriers like concrete block or wood and not get deflected by shrubbery and branches. It would also be fired from an 8" barrel, so velocity will be slightly lower.
bzdog

Re: Best defensive load for 300blk

Post by bzdog »

Yup, Barnes VOR-TX (black tip).

Note you may not find a round that will work reliably through concrete block.

-john
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

While I'm not sure about concrete, I know the Barnes black tip is suppose to be barrier blind, and it has excellent expansion at distance even from short barrels.

The only problem is pretty much no one has the factory Barnes ammo, though there are a few small/garage ammo companies loading them on their own. So your only current option for known/reliable loads is loading them yourself.
-Exterminatus-
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I live in the boonies and if I want to turn cover into concealment I reach for my rock river 308. my blackout is kind of a utility gun and I keep it loaded with subs for varmints and predators. As self serving as this sounds when it comes to my safety I trust nobody but my self . It has kept me alive in the mining and industrial construction industries for over 30 years and I feel the same way with my self defense ammo . I will make my own.
mcassill

Post by mcassill »

bzdog wrote:

50 BMG. 8)
coolbreeze

Post by coolbreeze »

mcassill wrote:
bzdog wrote:

50 BMG. 8)

Hahaha... I see what cha' did there..!
binder

Post by binder »

220 subs for me. They penetrate well enough for me. Shot through some hedge trees on my property. I practice shooting through brush to test for deflection and they aren't affected.