16" barrels with pistol length gas systems

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RNT
Silent But Deadly

16" barrels with pistol length gas systems

Post by RNT »

I have an opportunity to buy another barrel from a reputable company for another build I want to do in 300 blackout. The barrel is a 16" stainless but instead of the carbine gas system it has the pistol gas system. Has anyone shot these and/or do they know of others who have and what kind of reviews did they give.

My concerns are does it even make a difference in cycling and bolt lock open with running ammo with less than max pressure loads?

Do the supersonic rounds put too much stress or anything else into the upper receiver?

I am looking for pros or cons on this type of setup.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: 16" barrels with pistol length gas systems

Post by -k- »

There is less cyclic rate difference between supersonic and subsonic with the pistol gas system.

The carbine gas system should be slightly smoother with supersonic, like the difference between a 5.56 carbine and mid.
Todd
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

There is no problem with 16 inch barrels with pistol length gas systems.*

*Except when poorly designed, which does happen, but that is true of any barrel with any gas system - so is hardly worth mentioning as an issue except to choose wisely and that Noveske is the only company that I am sure is doing it correctly but no doubt some others are also.
RNT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RNT »

300Blk wrote:There is no problem with 16 inch barrels with pistol length gas systems.*

*Except when poorly designed, which does happen, but that is true of any barrel with any gas system - so is hardly worth mentioning as an issue except to choose wisely and that Noveske is the only company that I am sure is doing it correctly but no doubt some others are also.

That is good to know.........is there any gain to having the pistol gas system.

Example with my current setup I have to run close to max load when using bullets weighing over 140 grains to get proper cycling and bolt lock open. So would the pistol gas system allow a larger window of powder charges / bullet weights that would operate the gun properly unsurpressed?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Shorter gas systems seem to be less sensitive in ammunition variations. Longer gas systems delay unlocking a bit, making for lower extractor forces. There is no one answer that is best in every way.

I used to hate the 16 inch 5.56mm with carbine gas and only wanted mid length. I thought Colt screwed up not making the gas system longer. Now I think what they did was completely reasonable.
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

RNT wrote:
300Blk wrote:There is no problem with 16 inch barrels with pistol length gas systems.*

That is good to know.........is there any gain to having the pistol gas system.

Example with my current setup I have to run close to max load when using bullets weighing over 140 grains to get proper cycling and bolt lock open. So would the pistol gas system allow a larger window of powder charges / bullet weights that would operate the gun properly unsurpressed?
My Noveske Rouge Hunter is their 16" barreled one. It came with a pistol gas system. I have only shot 125 gr supersonic fairly hot and 220 gr subsonics. Always with my suppressor and everything cycles as it should.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
Chuckdeez61

Post by Chuckdeez61 »

I just recently bought a Daniels defense 16" pistol length gas system and have no problems running 110grain all the way up to 200 grain with now problems. Although it must be well lubed. But there is a noticeable difference with less recoil and its not obnoxiously loud. Honestly its a dream to shoot. Im sure it would only be good to maby 300 yards. Thats why I have both 5.56 and 300 blk out. If I need to shoot further bust out the 5.56. With a quick upper swap. I hunt coyotes and thats where the 300 shines. I've shot them with the 5.56 and unless its a well placed round they can still get up and go. But the extra stopping power of the black out its much more forgiving. They don't always sit there and give a good shot. Sometimes you gotta shoot them on the run.