DIFI wants ar-15s to be regulated under the NFA

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: DIFI wants ar-15s to be regulated under the NFA

Post by 300Blk »

Let's just say she succeeded at that...

1. It would mean millons of people would be introduced to NFA, and it would demystify the program for them. If people go through the trouble of NFA registration, most people would just register them as SBRs - so the end effect is millions of SBRs and more silencers. Basically, every AR company would just start to sell NFA and there would be semi-auto M4 clones with 14.5 inch barrels.

2. That may force the $200 tax to be reduced and/or may force an instant check on all NFA. The tax would be exposed for what it is - the same concept as a poll tax - to discourage people.

3. Does that mean 30 round magazines would be allowed if you had an NFA registered gun? Maybe you would have to show NFA paperwork to buy 30 round magazines? Or you would have NFA rifles with 10 round magazines?

4. It would take away the stigma of using NFA for self-defense as NFA would no longer be basically machine guns.

5. She said that the reason to do this is because it is easy to convert an AR15 to full auto, so we may as well treat them as full auto. Does that mean, once they are NFA, she will support the new manufacture of full autos? Maybe if it looks like this will pass, that could be something thrown in. In fact, if this looks like it will pass, part of it should be a $5 tax and an insta-check on all NFA.

6. Obviously this would be an amnesty registration - as even she would not propose that everyone would have to pay $200 to get each of their guns registered.

What I am getting at is - I am not sure she would like the result of everyone getting SBRs and silencers. She should be careful what she wishes for.
FarmerTed1971
Silent But Deadly

Post by FarmerTed1971 »

I don't know how in the hell they think the millions of black guns owners out there will bow and go through the registry. This will be very expensive for those that have a lot of guns. I see a mass sell off happening.

I know there are a lot of paranoid people that will never own an NFA item for fear of being registered anywhere.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. I personally would do it, and register everything as an SBR as well. I better start saving my coin...
Shamrock-MP
Silent Operator

Post by Shamrock-MP »

OK, I only got through her second sentence before I heard her ignorance to the law. She says that since there are devices that can turn civilian AR's into fully automatic weapons, so AR's should be covered by the NFA. Does she not know that the very few of these sears that exist are already covered by the NFA? Of course not.

Good job Silvers. I have been thinking the something similar. My main concern is that they may raise the Tax.
The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty. John Adams
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Shamrock-MP wrote:My main concern is that they may raise the Tax.
Maybe I am naive, but I don't think the tax would fit with today's scrutiny. I believe if the tax changes, it will be to go down, not up. A tax on a right is a hard sell - maybe not so hard with machine guns, but much harder with ARs. Think about it - a new $200 tax on each and every new gun sale of the most popular gun sold today? I think the only hope she has of making this happen is with a much smaller tax - and no tax on pre-existing guns registered in the first year.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

She kept calling it the "Federal Firearms Act" not the "National Firearms Act".

I think this is what they see as a necessary precursor to the end goal. They force the sheep to line up and "register" everything, and then they turn around a short time later and proceed with confiscation.

Historically, registration precedes confiscation.
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
offsidewing
Senior Silent Operator

Post by offsidewing »

There is no better image to push an agenda than 20 dead children. If the government came up with a compelling, factually based argument supported by statistics that showed a reasonable need to control and register Sporting Rifles, I would consider it as a voter, citizen, and owner of a modern sporting rifle. But since the government won't be able to do that, all they will show is images of 20 dead children and military assault rifles. The rationalization of why do we need these guns will be followed by the alienation of owning them.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

700PSS wrote:Historically, registration precedes confiscation.
As you know, I am very pro gun. I think M4s should be at Walmart, and maybe even pre-loaded use-once disposable guns for $50 at the checkout line.

However, I just don't think your comment means that registration causes confiscation. There are a huge number of registered items, from cars, to NFA machine guns, to all guns in MA - which have never been confiscated.

Now for sure, registration makes confiscation easier, but saying that it precedes it is like calling cigarettes a gateway drug to heroin. Sure - in virtually all cases - people who do heroin smoked before they did heroin, but that does not mean that the cigarettes lead to it.

Agreed I am probably desensitized to registration, considering that all guns in my state are always registered. But the reality is - every gun that we originally were legally allowed to own here, we have always been able to keep it when the laws changed.

Of all of the anti-gun rules that I hate - like not being able to buy new machine guns - I don't really care about guns being registered.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

nfa registration would cause a nightmare of logistics and would take decades to register every ar 15 and any other rifle they include . I have been through the process a couple of times , buying a machine gun , selling a machine gun , and buyinmg a suppresor . can you imagine the cleo trying to investigate and say ya or nay to a registration and then waiting on the atf to actually check your background . 6 months will turn into 6 years.
I dont know what the answer is but I certainly hope if nfa registration is where it goes the tax goes down I can see several sbr's in my save waiting to happen.