More bad AR15 advice

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

More bad AR15 advice

Post by 300Blk »

Here is a guy saying that a 16 inch barrel with pistol-gas cannot work reliably with supersonic ammunition. I guess he did not get the memo that 300 BLK fixed the previous 300 Whisper problem that required adjustable gas.
Rich_V wrote:With a 16" barrel and a pistol length gas port you will be limited in what will work reliably. This setup is generally used to run subs since a full power load will be over gassed. I have a 300 Whisper in this configuration and use an adjustable gas regulator. This allows me to run either subsonic or full power with reliable semi-auto functioning. With the gas set to full open I can get 150 gr subsonics to cycle reliably but they generally don't lock back on the last round.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/5946 ... lkout.html
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Re: More bad AR15 advice

Post by yondering »

What was the previous 300 Whisper problem, specifically? Gas port too large?

The Blackout seems to work great with pistol gas, but I'm not familiar with what was done with the Whisper before the Blackout came out.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

yondering wrote:What was the previous 300 Whisper problem, specifically? Gas port too large?

The Blackout seems to work great with pistol gas, but I'm not familiar with what was done with the Whisper before the Blackout came out.
The 300 BLK is a standard.
This Whisper & Fireball were wildcats.
That being said, the pressures are specified and barrels / gas systems are tuned to that specification.
Most Whisper & Fireball systems were setup to run as wide a variety of subsonic loads as possible.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

There was no commercial 300 Whisper(R) ammunition which would properly cycle the rifle with supersonic and subsonic without an adjustable gas block. That was one of the several problems we solved with 300 BLK.

But you have a 300 Whisper guy giving outdated advice.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

300Blk wrote:There was no commercial 300 Whisper(R) ammunition which would properly cycle the rifle with supersonic and subsonic without an adjustable gas block. That was one of the several problems we solved with 300 BLK.
Was this a case of requiring a large gas port to cycle subs, that was too large for supers?

Just for my own knowledge, should a "correct" Blackout barrel have a .110" gas port, or .095"-ish? I've read about both here, but then, plenty of guys have oddball setups too. My 11" seems to work great, but I can't remember the gas port size. I want to say it was about .107"
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The solution to the problem was to eliminate incompatible powders from consideration.
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

The 300 fireball and whisper were just fine before the blackout came. Before the blackout most people that had the whispers and fireballs ran them SBR suppressed. There was not a lot of people running them super sonic, they knew a 30-30 was about the same thing as a super sonic blackout or whisper and not to many people gave a damn. AAC gathered most of the info from the whisper forums and did their own testing and got it saami. For that I'm thankful. Not that ill ever buy a box off ammo but my friends that don't load their own will now buy blackout chambered guns. For me 1680 is just way to loud to ever shoot suppressed so ill just keep loading my own and when my friends shoot beside me and don't understand why my SBR is quieter than their 16" blackout. I keep telling them why and they don't believe it, I just say yeah, you're right I'm a just a dumbass country boy that don't know shit! They still haven't figured it out.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
morris
Silent But Deadly

Post by morris »

Retooferab wrote:The 300 fireball and whisper were just fine before the blackout came. Before the blackout most people that had the whispers and fireballs ran them SBR suppressed. There was not a lot of people running them super sonic, they knew a 30-30 was about the same thing as a super sonic blackout or whisper and not to many people gave a damn. AAC gathered most of the info from the whisper forums and did their own testing and got it saami. For that I'm thankful. Not that ill ever buy a box off ammo but my friends that don't load their own will now buy blackout chambered guns. For me 1680 is just way to loud to ever shoot suppressed so ill just keep loading my own and when my friends shoot beside me and don't understand why my SBR is quieter than their 16" blackout. I keep telling them why and they don't believe it, I just say yeah, you're right I'm a just a dumbass country boy that don't know shit! They still haven't figured it out.
so which powder do you like for suppressed subsonic?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Retooferab wrote:The 300 fireball and whisper were just fine before the blackout came.
There was only one brand of ammunition - Cor-Bon, and it was $46 per box of 20.
bigskydoc

Post by bigskydoc »

morris wrote: so which powder do you like for suppressed subsonic?
He has previously stated that N110 is the only powder that he uses, and he uses it with 208s and 220s. He has listed one load on the reloading forum here

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81566

and one or two others if you search his post history.

- bsd