More bad AR15 advice

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

morris
Silent But Deadly

Re: More bad AR15 advice

Post by morris »

Thanks a lot, I will give it a try when I finish my 5 pounds of 1680 :)
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

I'm not sure that N110 will run an AR with the gas port in the carbine position. Mine is in the pistol position as are most that are only running subs. I do have an adjustable gas block on mine but it is not needed to just run subs. I do turn the gas off and shoot it single shot if I want it to be really quiet.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not bad mouthing the the blackout. I'm glad it's here. I just don't think it's that great unless you're using it sub sonic suppressed. If you're just using it super sonic through a 16" barrel there are so many better options.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Retooferab wrote:If you're just using it super sonic through a 16" barrel there are so many better options.
Like what? I mean we know all about 5.56mm and its strong points - but what other options are so clearly better? Name them and I will tell you what is better about the BLK.
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

6.5 Grendel, 25DTI, 6DTI. That is three that I'd rather shoot super sonic over the 300 blackout.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Well, I can see you are a long range person - so if that is your goal - then sure - those are good ones.
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

I do appreciate your work. I'm not a bad mouther of the blackout. I just think there are things it's great for and some its ok for. I just believe its best suited for SBR suppressed. It's ok for other things just not great. Anything inside 200 yards it'll work fine super sonic. I'm pretty good with it sub sonic to 150.

Besides my friends that have em don't load em so I get a lot of free brass that I don't have to form. :)
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I think a lot of what is good about it is the lower cost than other alternative cartridges. Also I have seen people claim that it has less energy at long range than 5.56mm, but there are standard pressure 300 BLK loads that have more energy than even Mk262 at 300 yards.

While it is obviously great for SBRs, I would word it a different way - 5.56mm really wants a 24 inch barrel to be happy. 300 BLK sees a 16 inch barrel the same way that 5.56mm sees a 24 inch barrel.

So what I say is - finally a cartridge which has a sweet spot in 16 inch barrels.
robrob
Silent But Deadly

Post by robrob »

I shot 300 Whisper before 300 Black was developed and I was a skeptic when the Black was introduced. I also own a nice 6.5 Grendel AR but I don't shoot it that much mostly due to ammo cost. It's not an accident that 300 Black is so incredibly popular. rsilvers did his homework and refined the cartridge, rifle specs, powders, bullet size, shape, seating depth for reliable feeding and worked with Remington to supply us with inexpensive ammo that just plain works. He nailed the "sweet spot" in cost of conversion, compatibility, ammo cost, real world ballistics, marketing and most importantly fun factor.

He didn't just, "SAMMI the 300 Whisper."
mcinfantry
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mcinfantry »

300Blk wrote:I think a lot of what is good about it is the lower cost than other alternative cartridges. Also I have seen people claim that it has less energy at long range than 5.56mm, but there are standard pressure 300 BLK loads that have more energy than even Mk262 at 300 yards.

While it is obviously great for SBRs, I would word it a different way - 5.56mm really wants a 24 inch barrel to be happy. 300 BLK sees a 16 inch barrel the same way that 5.56mm sees a 24 inch barrel.

So what I say is - finally a cartridge which has a sweet spot in 16 inch barrels.
I got over 18" penetration through a whitetail deer at 185-190 yards with 110gr barnes vor-tx. pretty good IMHO. 16"AAC upper
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Awesome. And there are a ton of people who are quietly getting great results and who never post it on the internet and are very satisfied, and that is why this will have long-term growth.