Does your AAC flash hider "ring"

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Does your AAC flash hider "ring"

Post by 300Blk »

I know it can sometimes be heard in real-life - but still, the technology-knowledgable side of me does not like that auto-gain video cameras are used to demonstrate it. Video cameras, unless they are the high-end pro kind, have auto gain - and kill the gain on loud gunshots and then boost the sound on low levels. This should be plain obvious by the fact that you can hear people talking in a video and the people are about as loud as the gunshots - when obviously in real life that is not the case.

I mean this literally - the sound pressure of the gunshot is about 562,341 times greater than the ring (assuming the ring is 60 dB). The difference in the sound intensity is about 31 billion to 1 (again, I mean that literally).

Calculations:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

I understand this and make this point in several of my suppressor vids, but this video pretty accurately represents what you would hear with your own ears using foamies if you were shooting with me. It is truly as loud as a small bell, and as the OP mentions, it rings every time I cycle the action, etc.

I was shooting with a mix of former and active duty high speed guys yesterday, and some of them noticed it enough to make jokes about it throughout the day.

I'm not complaining about the ring- if it bothered me, I'd switch out for a brake- but I do feel the need to point out that just MAYBE, with the tens (hundreds??) of thousands of these out there on a variety of builds, a small number of them MIGHT be more persistently obnoxious than most have personally experienced.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Well I'm glad its not just mine. I was starting to wonder if the barrel nut wasn't on right or something out of spec, loose, etc.
Kublah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kublah »

As a side note to quiet riot, your videos rock.
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

Thanks! I have a lot of fun putting them together. My next few will be of particular interest to 300 BLK fans. I'm in the middle of testing some awesome rounds. I'll be sure to post them here when they're done.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
smokey1

Post by smokey1 »

Have a SPR/M4 can with miter mount/flash hider. Had it on a bolt gun and the AAC flash hider rang like a church bell. When I was at a gun range that had a tin roof, other shooters around me would stop shooting and look around for the source of the ring. I'm not kidding.

My solution was simple. Just started cutting a little material off the end of the prongs. Ended up removing approx 1/8-1/4" of material removed from the end of prongs and the ringing stopped 100%.
Smokey