Does your AAC flash hider "ring"

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Redbear

Does your AAC flash hider "ring"

Post by Redbear »

My AAC flash hider acts like a tunning fork. Let the bolt close, dry fire, or live fire, it rings like a tunning fork. At first I thought nothing of it. After all I'm not surprised due to it's open end shape but am now wondering if I'm getting weird barrel harmonics that could effect accuracy and just curious if its just me. If not, no problem. Mine is on a 16" Noveske. If it is just me the only thing I could think to do is take it apart and reassemble. I apologize if this is a old, dumb, or pointless question.
Last edited by Redbear on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado CJ
Silent Operator

Re: Does your ACC flash hider "ring"

Post by Colorado CJ »

I have heard of others having a harmonic ring. Not sure if it really affects accuracy or not, but I would get tired of the ring personally. I installed a Wilson Combat Accu-Tac flash hider that is designed similarly, but it claims to actually help accuracy and not to ring. It didn't ring at all today at its maiden range day.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Dontcha think the bullet has left the barrel by the time it can vibrate the flash suppressor?
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

once you get it good and carbon'd up it wont ring anymore. I dont think my blackout on my AAC 9" 300blk rings, at least I have never noticed it.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The degree to which people hear it seems directly related to if they use electronic hearing muffs that block loud sounds and amplify soft sounds.
drrufo
Silent Operator

Post by drrufo »

My flash hider is sitting on my table and when I tap it with a knife, it rings for several seconds.
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

I don't have to actually fire mine to make it ring. When I do the bullet has obviously left by the time I can hear it over the blast.
My thinking is not that the flash hider itself is a problem (although the ring is strange) but that my rifle has a lot of vibration in the barrel. The concern behind that being that a shorter barrel (in reason) can be more acurate then a long due to increased barrel harmonics. I just don't know if it's common with that flash hider or it's my rifle.

It's not like it just rings quick and stops. It rings for a few seconds as it fades out like drrufo mentioned. The guy next to me at the range can hear it as well.
RMcDonald
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RMcDonald »

Mine also makes a slight "ping" noise, the AAC flash hiders are some of the heaviest I've come across, the design seems to be less likely to affect accuracy, and the added weight on the muzzle should actually improve barrel harmonics and improve accuracy. Friend of mine had a 16" Noveske recon barrel with the AAC blackout non mount flash hider and we were able to put 5 rounds of 75gr TAPs into a penny sized group at 100 yards with a nightforce NSX 2.5-10x28. So I'd be willing to bet that the AAC hider does not effect accuracy.
A38GCSO

Post by A38GCSO »

I have read before for a long time about the AAC flash hider "ring". I remember reading it had no negative affect on accuracy or barrel harmonics. I also remember reading there was a modification you could do to stop the ringing but I can't remember what it was or how to do it. I'll try and look it up and find it.
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does your AAC flash hider "ring"

Post by Quiet Riot »

You can easily hear one of mine ring obnoxiously in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdg45Vr-Mj8

I have about two thousand rounds through it, mostly unsuppressed, and it has not changed since the first shot. I ran this rifle in a long range shooting course just yesterday, and as typical, I got lots of comments about it from other shooters.

It does seem that some ring more than others. My 30 cal AAC FH doesn't ring at all, not one bit. So, to make any blanket statement that covers the behavior of them all would be inaccurate. For example, people still hear this who aren't wearing electronic muffs, and carbon build-up has done nothing to quiet it down. :)
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG