I think I finally hit the sweet spot.. UPDATE PG 2

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

I think I finally hit the sweet spot.. UPDATE PG 2

Post by Tothemax! »

Well ever since I put my 16" noveske barrel on my upper I have been fighting the inability to hold the bolt open on the last shot. I tried a couple different powders, multiple powder weights, stock buffer spring and buffer, etc.

Well finally I think I have found the sweet spot. I ordered a new springco White buffer spring and installed it along with a spikes H2 buffer. Over the last two range outings I have had great success with the bolt holding open on the last shot. I can now start producing the ammo in bulk and running it through gun in more than 40 round lots.

The recipe I am using is as follows.
147gr pulls loaded to the crimp line
19.2 A1680 Powder
Winchester SR primers
LC brass

I hope this is the cure and I keep having success with this setup. I really enjoy reloading for this round and especially like it when I don't have issues.
Last edited by Tothemax! on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

Re: I think I finally hit the sweet spot..

Post by Tothemax! »

Lively bunch around here.
k2ue

Post by k2ue »

Tothemax! wrote:Well ever since I put my 16" noveske barrel on my upper I have been fighting the inability to hold the bolt open on the last shot. I tried a couple different powders, multiple powder weights, stock buffer spring and buffer, etc.

Well finally I think I have found the sweet spot. I ordered a new springco White buffer spring and installed it along with a spikes H2 buffer. Over the last two range outings I have had great success with the bolt holding open on the last shot. I can now start producing the ammo in bulk and running it through gun in more than 40 round lots.

19.2 A1680 Powder
Winchester SR primers
LC brass

I hope this is the cure and I keep having success with this setup. I really enjoy reloading for this round and especially like it when I don't have issues.
I don't get it -- why use a buffer 2 notches heavier than GI if you are having hold-open problems?
Clyde Washburn
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member,
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, SCOPE Member, GCL Member
Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tothemax! »

k2ue wrote:
Tothemax! wrote:Well ever since I put my 16" noveske barrel on my upper I have been fighting the inability to hold the bolt open on the last shot. I tried a couple different powders, multiple powder weights, stock buffer spring and buffer, etc.

19.2 A1680 Powder
Winchester SR primers
LC brass

I don't get it -- why use a buffer 2 notches heavier than GI if you are having hold-open problems?
The heavier buffer spring helped slow the bolt down giving the mag follower enough time to catch up. With a stock spring the BCG was moving too fast and it was outrunning the follower.
mleeber

Post by mleeber »

Had you already tried the heavier M16 carrier? I hear that solves the problem sometimes.
Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tothemax! »

mleeber wrote:Had you already tried the heavier M16 carrier? I hear that solves the problem sometimes.
I have a brand new one but didn't make it that far to install it. That was my next step.
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

what is ur over all lenth on ur load? i had a simmular issue and lenthed it from 2.05 to 2.15 and elimited the no bolt hold.
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tothemax! »

Wo0dzm3n wrote:what is ur over all lenth on ur load? i had a simmular issue and lenthed it from 2.05 to 2.15 and elimited the no bolt hold.
I have them loaded to the crimp line. I would have length to check to make sure.
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

Tothemax! wrote:
Wo0dzm3n wrote:what is ur over all lenth on ur load? i had a simmular issue and lenthed it from 2.05 to 2.15 and elimited the no bolt hold.
I have them loaded to the crimp line. I would have length to check to make sure.
what do u mean "I would have length...." just wondering. when i load the 147 they are a little longer than the crimp grove.
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Tothemax!
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tothemax! »

Wo0dzm3n wrote:
Tothemax! wrote:
what do u mean "I would have length...." just wondering. when i load the 147 they are a little longer than the crimp grove.
It was a typo. I would have to check total length as I don't know off the top of my head.