Massive 300blk penetration disappointments.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

PAPI

Re: Massive 300blk penetration disappointments.

Post by PAPI »

That is so far down the list of 300 BLK ammunition needs. Let's see where... I will put it at #6.
1. Steel cased ammunition for a low price (Alexander Arms said that Wolf plans to import this soon).
2. A reloader FMJ bullet.
3. An optimal jacketed reloader expanding bullet.
4. Subsonic expanding.
5. A bonded LE bullet.
6. AP ammunition.
Hi everyone,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this info ( Main Discussion ) ..?

Been doing lots of lurking around ( Research ) , with some hopes of building an upper for supersonic use. I was intially looking at a " Wilson Upper ".

Wilson Custom 300BLK: 1x8 inch twist; 18 inch Barreled Upper
http://wilsoncombat.com/new/rifle-recon-tactical.asp#

However, after doing a bit more research,.. my idea upper would be a, HBAR contour, 1x7 twist, 20" barrel length, specifically for " Hunting ".

I've also been doing some research on appropriate bullets, again with " Hunting " in mind !
Just passing on info, of some interesting " Premium Bullets ", which have been tested @ 30-30 Velocities.

" CEB .30 cal Raptor " (Hunting 100 - 130 Grn) * would be the perfect hunting bullets to use, in the 300 Blackout*
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/ ... egory=0308

TESTED INFO:

" At any rate, I think we can breath some new fire in the Old 30/30 cartridge! Quickly this morning I got a test in with the 130 ESP Raptors, in the 30/30 as we have talked about earlier. As suspected, no surprises, the bullet performed very good. I had no real load data on 30/30, and if I did I just never thought enough of it to even record it as data, as I know I have loaded 30/30 in the past, and still have most everything I have loaded. I just picked 34 gr of TAC out of the Barnes book, Max load for the 130 TSX. Did not seem like much to me, so I am sure velocity can be increased, but I was shooting a 16 inch barrel Winchester... Michael ".
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 8911/p/195

The cool factor of these bullets are; one end is a " Hollow Point ", the other end is a " Solid "..same bullet !

PAPI
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Interesting looking bullets but I never thought I'd see something that would make me say "Wow, the Barnes TAC-TX bullets are cheap!"
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
PAPI

Post by PAPI »

Interesting looking bullets but I never thought I'd see something that would make me say "Wow, the Barnes TAC-TX bullets are cheap!"
Well, I'm not trying to defend the cost factor, as I don't have any ties to the company, or any other...!

However, I own several firearms, and none of them were " cheap " to begin with, or shoot, even when handloading.
Did you notice the cost of the " Wilson Upper " $$$$ ?

Everyone should really take the time to read the extensive testing done with the " CEB ". Michael, has compiled a very extensive collection of data, & impartial testing, using many different types & brand of Bullets.
(Thread: Terminal Bullet Performance: 267 pgs of info ).
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 098911/p/1

I'll try to summarize the " CEB ".
http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/

Bullets are Lathe turned & the " RAPTORS " are dual purpose: Hollow point on one end , which can be used with a plastic tip insert. The other end acts as a " Solid ". Both have been designed for maximum " Straight " penetration , thru flesh & bone (Solid end).

They use a " Test medium " of Wet Newspaper, inserted with plain white paper (witness cards) to examine the spread pattern of the " Broken off Petals " which act as secondary projectiles ( Wound Patterns ). The base or bullet shank ( Primary Projectile ) continues to penetrate.

What you see was early testing material. The field test on live game, both here and abroad ( U.S. / Africa ) have resulted in " 2x " the penetration & wound channels, with repeatable and consistent results.

I don't know about the rest of you guys.. But , " IMHO ", the bullets are the " Cheapest " part of my " Hunting Trips ", when you consider " Travel Expense's; Gas , Food, Lodging; Hunting Tags, ( Guides ? ), Taxidermy, etc. $$$$$$

" CEB's ", aren't so expensive afterall :shock:

YUP.. they weren't meant for " Plinking "..

I don't know for sure.. but the " 100 grn " might work, @ subsonic velocities ...?

Again, just sharing some info .. Your choice on what to use :P

PAPI