Massive 300blk penetration disappointments.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

zpat

Re: Massive 300blk penetration disappointments.

Post by zpat »

My concerns were with "hard" target penetration, not deer. I shot some pigs over the weekend with 300blk. It performed as I expected--flawlessly, but the shot placement could have taken them down with a 5.56 or even lower/smaller. What I was more concerned about with pigs was a 400lb monster charging me straight on and being able to penetrate his front chest wall. I used pigs as just an example btw, what I was talking about was penetrating a hard barrier--wood, steel, concrete, whatever. And the whole reason I did the steel test was because of Larry Vickers shooting the concrete blocks on TV and showing the 300blk couldn't penetrate squat compared to the AK47 and 5.56 round, so I wanted to see for myself--I honestly thought he was doing something wrong.
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

zpat wrote:My concerns were with "hard" target penetration, not deer. I shot some pigs over the weekend with 300blk. It performed as I expected--flawlessly, but the shot placement could have taken them down with a 5.56 or even lower/smaller. What I was more concerned about with pigs was a 400lb monster charging me straight on and being able to penetrate his front chest wall. I used pigs as just an example btw, what I was talking about was penetrating a hard barrier--wood, steel, concrete, whatever. And the whole reason I did the steel test was because of Larry Vickers shooting the concrete blocks on TV and showing the 300blk couldn't penetrate squat compared to the AK47 and 5.56 round, so I wanted to see for myself--I honestly thought he was doing something wrong.
I guess that depends what bullets you use. There is no reason the 300 shouldn't be comparable to the AK47. In fact, it is a more efficient transfer of energy due to the case design.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The bullets that Larry used had a big air pocket in the nose ,and so while it looks like a pointy bullet on the outside, it is really seen as more cylindrical to a hard target.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

zpat wrote:The HST outperforms the tac bonded in nearly every category of barrier tests, so ATK basically promotes only the HST at this point--I'm surprised they even still carry the bonded--probably just for ppl that are stubborn headed and *must* buy a bonded even though another round will do the "bonded" job better without being bonded.
I looked into this, and the problem with the HST from an FBI-test perspective - at least in 9mm which is all that I checked, is that it does not reliably penetrate more than 12 inches.
zpat

Post by zpat »

I'm only up on the .45ACP, but when you looked into it, did the bonded/tactical 9mm round penetrate more?
I thought the FBI tests said 12-18" is ideal, no less, no more? Can you elaborate?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The FBI is concerned about less than 12 inches of penetration, and the 9mm HST often penetrates less than 12 inches.

They have a scoring system which likes consistency - so the less variation in depth, the better.

I didn't ask them about the 45 Auto.

You were able to look up FBI data or you went to Federal's website?
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Post by mech5700 »

This thread needs some more pictures, so here is what I can share.

This was at 200 yds. The 2 deep holes to the left side of the pic were from a standard 55gr FMJBT .223, the rest was 147gr FMJBT @ ~1950fps out my BLK.

This was at 100 yds. The 4 craters on the right side of the pic and the 2 in the middle were from the .223 and the rest was 147gr FMJBT @ ~1950fps out of my BLK.

This is 3/8" regular steel plate, nothing fancy.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

Jargonhead wrote:3 and 4 is what most of us are waiting for.

Rob
3 and 4 are available now.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

bani wrote:
Jargonhead wrote:3 and 4 is what most of us are waiting for.

Rob
3 and 4 are available now.
Not to a design that I would approve.

The reloader bullet - the Barnes is good - I should have said that I meant jacketed-lead.
RMcDonald
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RMcDonald »

There's a YouTube video comparing penetration between the 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39 and .300blk they all do equally well (water jug, 8 peices of plywood, concrete block with drywall.) until the steel plate test. The .300blk was a 10.5" barrel using the 115gr CTFB, the rest were 16" barrels using FMJ rounds most likely bi metal jackets and m855, now the end of the video the guy shoots the steel plate again with the 7.62x39 from a 7.5 inch barrel which does not penetrate. I think using a 16" barrel, and an equally constructed bullet the .300blk would do the same. Mostly all of the factory loads with 125gr bullets are using rounds designed to expand, the only factory load I've seen using an actual FMJ is the PNW 147gr FMJ.

Edit: I just saw that part 2 was uploaded, this time using a 14.5" 300 blk 10.5" 300 blk PNW 147gr FMJ and the 16" 7.62x39 and a 10.5" AK pistol using 123gr PMC FMJ, all of them were able to penetrate the same steel plate he used last time.

OP: I suggest trying this yourself with the PNW 147gr rounds (12.99 at midway) then let us know what you get.