Larry Vickers TV show "TacTV" did a show on the 300 blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mongo

Larry Vickers TV show "TacTV" did a show on the 300 blk

Post by Mongo »

Show was on Monday evening and should be repeated next Monday if they go per their standard format.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/index.htm]Mongo's Home Page
Uvausmc
Silent Operator

Re: Larry Vickers TV show "TacTV" did a show on the 300 blk

Post by Uvausmc »

Just watched it. They definitely didnt do the 300 BLK justice. It was pretty much 20 minutes of them shooting from a bench sighting in. Then a few minutes testing penetration. They also compared the "drop" of 5.56 vs. 7.62x39 vs. 300 BLK at different ranges but there was no consideration of what range the rifles were sighted in at. This led Larry to the conclusion that 300 BLK should not be used for anything past "150 yds." Kind of funny because he didn't say that about the 7.62x39 and they have such similar ballistics.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

150 yards? That's funny. LV has more real world experience than most of us combined, but I just don't get his conclusion. So how is it that the Barnes penetrated 20" of ballistic gel at 300 yards from the 9" upper? IS A 6.8 FANBOY PAYING HIM TO SAY THAT STUFF?!!
burton
Silent Operator

Post by burton »

1. I really hold a great deal of respect for the LAV, so it is absolutely nothing personal when I say that TacTV is simply one of the most boring firearms shows I have ever seen. You couldn't make the show more boring or sterile if you tried. Last night's episode was no exception. LAV and his crew would be much better served simply copying someone like Hickok45.

2. I don't recall them ever mentioning what type of 300BLK ammo was used, while Black Hills 55 gr (a sponsor) was mentioned over and over again for the 5.56. My guess is they were using 147 gr. 300 BLK...but for all I know he was shooting 220gr. subs.

3. I'd have much rather seen the Barnes Blacktip or some other type of round used. In the end, I don't think the show did the round justice...that said, I am a bit biased in that I only own one rifle, and it's chambered in 300BLK.

4. I shoot an 8" Noveske...my plinking rounds are 147gr, pulled M80 ball with @ 17.5 of H110. With a 2MOA Aimpoint t1, I am able to hit in the center ring at @20 yards by placing the red dot on target. I am able to do the same at 100 and 200 yards. I experience no where near the drop that LAV did. Perhaps just a few inches at 200....wheras he was experiencing 18 inches of drop at 200 yards. I found that very odd.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Yep. Didn't list the specific loads, especially what bullet was in the 300 BLK (did say something about the 7.62x39 being the combloc load). Didn't sight all rounds to the same point of impact at 25yd before going to farther ranges to measure the different drops from that of 5.56mm. Probably the poorest episode I've ever seen.
RMcDonald
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RMcDonald »

There was a post on m4 carbine that states they used Remington 115 UMC for the 300 blk
robrob
Silent But Deadly

Post by robrob »

Didn't sight all rounds to the same point of impact at 25yd before going to farther ranges to measure the different drops from that of 5.56mm.
This is the key to their really stupid "results." Looking at some of the forum discussions about this show proves that a lot of people don't understand how being sighted high at 25 yards will help bullet drop at 200 yards, and sighting low at 25 yards will give you an extreme drop off at 200 yards. The show's host believes it can be measured relative to the impact point on the 25 yard target. Idiots.

I'm sure all the 6.8 guys are "rubbing one out" to this show.
Uvausmc
Silent Operator

Post by Uvausmc »

RMcDonald wrote:There was a post on m4 carbine that states they used Remington 115 UMC for the 300 blk
That's what they looked like the few times they showed the rounds.
munchie3409
Senior Silent Operator

Post by munchie3409 »

I watch the show, but I don't like LAV's personality.

As others have mentioned, I thought they were bashing on the 300BO considering there are so many ammo offerings for this round and they just used one in the test. I'm sure the ammo they selected wasn't the best offering and that is why it looked like the 300BO was a crap round.

It's entertainment. Don't always believe what you see or hear on tv...even if it's from a "well respected" person.
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

burton wrote:... LAV and his crew would be much better served simply copying someone like Hickok45.
Be careful talking-up someone like Hickok45. That guy carefully controls the spin on his Youtube video clips. If you question him about any technical detail, rather than come back with considered debate he's quick to delete your post and you from reply-access. The North Korean Propaganda Ministry has trained him well.

As for the Blackout being a short distance gun with a lot of penetration (because it doesn't have the speed to open-up bullets designed for faster guns), I'm OK with that. It's just physics...You can't have everything in a calibre. Hopefully bullet manufacturers will catch up with more purpose-built projies for the slower 300. But even when that happens the calibre will still be a slow one with all that implies.

Different guns for different jobs. That's why my gunsafe is full and my wallet empty!