Noveske 1 in 7" twist barrels

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steelman

Noveske 1 in 7" twist barrels

Post by steelman »

New to 300 blk, So....

Why does Noveske use 1 in 7" twist on their barrels?

I have a 10.2" Noveske barrel coming to me in a Voltor VIS-2 upper build.

Just curious. My knowledge is limited to custom bolt action rifles.

Thanks in advance....
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Noveske 1 in 7" twist barrels

Post by Klem »

Another poster works at Noveske so will be able to give you the exact reason but I notice CMMG have done the same, and it's a fair bet as to why.

The industry is fine-tuning the calibre to squeeze the best out of what it can do. The move towards pistol length gas systems is another example of this.

A faster 1:7 twist allows you to use a heavier range of projectiles and still be stable. With the earlier 1:8 twist people are starting to realise that at subsonic speeds the range of projectile weights is pretty narrow; from about 200-220grain. Below 200 and the gun doesn't cycle and above 220 the round becomes unstable. If you have a carbine-length gas system it narrows it still...you are forced to go as heavy as possible to cycle the action. To shoot the jacketed projies like the Sierra MK 240 or even heavier lead swaged rounds you need a faster twist.

Why not go 1:7 from the start?...Manufacturers would have been concerned with issues such as overstabilisation/yawing, increased chance of jacket/core separation; either flying apart mid-flight or the more insidious slight shift in the lead core, plus the faster the twist the more it exaggerates the effects of bullet imperfections. All these potential issues are also there in 1:8, but more possible in 1:7, however you will be able to use heavier projectiles. It's a careful compromise with both twist rates 'preferring' their own range of bullets.
steelman

Post by steelman »

Will lighter bullets in the 115 gr weight also stabilize in a 1:7 twist?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

1/7 allows longer/heavier bullets and has no measurable negative effect on the fast/light bullets.