Fastest Velocity for 208gr Amax?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SN13
Silent But Deadly

Fastest Velocity for 208gr Amax?

Post by SN13 »

Anyone here load up 208gr's to Supersonic and see how fast you can get them to go?

Just curious.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fastest Velocity for 208gr Amax?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Not I, but the Hornady 9th Ed has supersonic loads listed for the bullet. I don't have it in front of me but I think it goes up to 1400fps or more.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I got them chronographed at 2940 fps with my handloads at 80 degrees the other day. Went 4/5 cold bore at 1000 yards.

Oh...you were asking 300 BLK. That was my 700 5R 300 Win Mag!
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

I've ran 220 matchkings up to 1520fps with 1680. No signs of pressure on fired cases, but seating the bullet itself was bulging the sides of the brass. This was is in a 16'' bolt-action with a really long OAL - beyond magazine functionality, something like 2.30''. If you're forced to maintain 2.260'' OAL it's going to limit your case capacity and keep it under 1500fps.
SN13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SN13 »

I went over to Hodgon's reloading site.

They have the following info:

Case: Remington Twist: 1:8" Primer: Remington 7 1/2, Small Rifle Magnum Barrel Length: 16" Trim Length: 1.363"

175gr SIERRA HPBT - MAX LOAD - OAL - 2.215" Lil'Gun - 14.5gr 1,768FPS 47,700 CUP

I thought Max Pressure was 55k PSI?

To me this says We can go faster! :D

Anyone have a line on a 20" Barrel for 300 BLK? :D
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

SN13 wrote:I went over to Hodgon's reloading site.

Case: Remington Twist: 1:8" Primer: Remington 7 1/2, Small Rifle Magnum Barrel Length: 16" Trim Length: 1.363"

175gr SIERRA HPBT - MAX LOAD - OAL - 2.215" Lil'Gun - 14.5gr 1,768FPS 47,700 CUP

Tubes 20"+ chambered in our beloved 300blk still seem to be exclusively a custom venture....unfortunately. There's clearly a demand for them, we'll have to be patient.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

SN13 wrote:I went over to Hodgon's reloading site.

From the faqs page:
Q: Can 300 AAC Blackout make Major Power Factor in 3-gun competition?
A: Yes. A Sierra 175 MK loaded to 2.245 OAL in Remington brass and with a 7.5 primer with 20.0 grains of A1680 reached 1900 fps in a 16 inch test barrel. The pressure was below SAAMI max.
I have ran this load and it performs quite well, closer to 1950 for me in a 16 inch barrel. The biggest limiting factor for higher speeds is trying to stay under 2.260 for magazine fed platforms.

There also seems to be an accuracy void (at least for me) between loading for a semi-auto, and loading for bench rest. Meaning that as velocity increases, accuracy diminishes until the COL gets close to the lands.

The 175 smk is fun to work with, I run it both sub and super, AR and bolt action. Accurate at 1000 fps, cycled but not BHO on last for me. Held MOA or below at 200 yards at over 2000 fps, too long for the mag in an AR so hand fed. Great in a bolt action tho.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I guess im still confused...

What is the need to hotrod this cartridge? If you wanna push 208's faster, use a 308win. Slight increase in weapon size...big increase in case volume (= more room for that long bullet + powder)

Or go even bigger, 300 WM, and really step that bullet out there.

It seems to me that people are trying to take what is an intermediate cartridge (that suppresses well) and turn it into something its not

No offense intended....i just dont see the "why" in it
SN13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SN13 »

Sharkbite wrote:I guess im still confused...

What is the need to hotrod this cartridge? If you wanna push 208's faster, use a 308win. Slight increase in weapon size...big increase in case volume (= more room for that long bullet + powder)

It seems to me that people are trying to take what is an intermediate cartridge (that suppresses well) and turn it into something its not

Why? 'Cause 'Merca!

So the real reason stems from reading threads on Hunting etc using the 110 Barnes' Black tips for Moose or other large game and half the people saying not enough penetration etc. Got me thinking, whats the biggest bullet I can shoot and How fast can we get it moving....

The Long barrel is just to add more FPS. I figure the limiting factor will be case capacity before Barrel length though.

Also I have a Spare Upper/BCG/Handguard/Lower just would need a barrel and gas tube to get another AR running, Just figured I could do a Long-Range 300 and push the High BC pills out to 600 yards supersonic. That's all.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

SN13 wrote:
Sharkbite wrote:I guess im still confused...

Why? 'Cause 'Merca!

So the real reason stems from reading threads on Hunting etc using the 110 Barnes' Black tips for Moose or other large game and half the people saying not enough penetration etc. Got me thinking, whats the biggest bullet I can shoot and How fast can we get it moving....

The Long barrel is just to add more FPS. I figure the limiting factor will be case capacity before Barrel length though.

Also I have a Spare Upper/BCG/Handguard/Lower just would need a barrel and gas tube to get another AR running, Just figured I could do a Long-Range 300 and push the High BC pills out to 600 yards supersonic. That's all.

Ok. I can see that.... But arent there other cartridges out that do this much better? 6.8 sounds like it might fit the bill better then a 300blk.