Elk Hunting with the 300 BLK. What bullet would you choose?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dweezil
Silent Operator

Re: Elk Hunting with the 300 BLK. What bullet would you choo

Post by Dweezil »

eracer wrote:Next up: Stopping a charging bull elephant with 300 BLK subsonics.

(C'mon people....use the right tool for the job.)

^^^This.

Actually, way too many elephants, rhinos etc. are killed with 7.62x39 every year.
Granted, it's several poachers at once, using volley fire with full auto Kalashnikovs.

I'm hoping none of us hunt this way.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

Dweezil wrote:

^^^This.

Actually, way too many elephants, rhinos etc. are killed with 7.62x39 every year.
Granted, it's several poachers at once, using volley fire with full auto Kalashnikovs.

I'm hoping none of us hunt this way.
If the Blackout can do this to an elephant an elk should be no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-6V5HaSZA
sherpa
Silent Operator

Post by sherpa »

The blk loaded with black tips will kill anything a 30.06 will at any sane range. The limiting factor is what range can the shooter/rifle put the bullet through the lungs. Energy doesn't kill anything, tissue damage & blood loss do. All this talk of it being inadequate is the result of machismo and ignorance. Just because it isn't the optimal tool for every conceivable elk hunting scenario doesn't mean that its inadequate. I class it with using a bow, handgun, or black powder rifle. And to the purists who decry using the 45.70 on cape buffalo because of its lower velocity, it out penetrates most of the classic nitro express rounds BECAUSE its slower. We see the same principal at work with the over penetration of mon expanding subs. Dangerous game with it would work but is ouyside of my comfort zone. Elk, not only would I, I am hoing to do it this fall with a Cooper Arms mofel 21 in blk with a 22" barrel & a black tip handload.
I like pigs. Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. Pigs see us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
DaCapster
Silent Operator

Post by DaCapster »

I have seen hunters walk right up to elk during the rut but thats not rifle season....Last tag I got was an 8 year wait. Not going to chance it on a niche weapon.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

As a proud owner of a 300 AAC Blackout, let's start discussing shooting big game with a .22 LR.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

DaCapster wrote:I have seen hunters walk right up to elk during the rut but thats not rifle season....Last tag I got was an 8 year wait. Not going to chance it on a niche weapon.
Elk season here is a general season hunt so I get a tag every year. In the coast range it's so thick visibility is sometimes limited to 25 feet. I do a lot of crawling on my hands and knees so a compact rifle is just the ticket.
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

darr3239 wrote:As a proud owner of a 300 AAC Blackout, let's start discussing shooting big game with a .22 LR.
I used to work with a HillHippy that owned some property that bordered an elk refuge. He lived in a small travel trailer. One morning he was awakened by his trailer rocking back and forth. He looked out the window and witnessed a large bull elk scratching it's ass on the corner of his travel trailer. He stuck his 22 rifle out the window and dropped it with one shot. There ya go ;-)

Back to the 300 Blackout I figure that any bullet that expands to around 50 caliber and penetrates over 16 inches should be more than adequate to reach the vitals of a bull elk and create a lethal permanent wound cavity. With proper bullet selection and good shot placement I think it's doable.
sherpa
Silent Operator

Post by sherpa »

This discussion is about the physical ability of the blk to kill an elk. A hunter's chance of success based on time of year, hunting pressure, tag availability, & what not are not relevant & cloud the issue. I think there can be no doubt that it will reach & wreck the vitals of an elk. The issue is range & angle.
I like pigs. Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. Pigs see us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
mj36639
Silent But Deadly

Post by mj36639 »

sherpa wrote:This discussion is about the physical ability of the blk to kill an elk. A hunter's chance of success based on time of year, hunting pressure, tag availability, & what not are not relevant & cloud the issue. I think there can be no doubt that it will reach & wreck the vitals of an elk. The issue is range & angle.
From what I understand the 300 Blackout using the 110 grain blacktip has exhibited 20+ inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin out to 300 yards. It is also a good barrier blind bullet so it may be the best choice for penetrating the heavy hide and rib bones of an elk. Obviously avoiding the heavy shoulder bone is important. I have read reports of 30/30 soft points flattening out and leaving divots in an elk shoulder while not penetrating.
Emilio
Silent Operator

Post by Emilio »

Yep. :lol:
The rain from Spain is quiet.

Member of the Liberty suppressor underground.