Elk Hunting with the 300 BLK. What bullet would you choose?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Elk Hunting with the 300 BLK. What bullet would you choo

Post by rebel »

I was going to advocate a claw hammer for elephant, but that is irresponsible for the one that don't practice with one. I start with a 16 oz working my way up to a 24 oz. Nothing smaller than that should be used to be ethical as elephants are rather large. Hand sledges ruin to much meat but will do if have nothing else.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

Minimum chambering for dangerous game in most of Africa is the .375 H&H. Some countries allow 9,3x62 and the 9,3x74R.

The cape buffalo I took was hit 3 times with a .416 Rigby pushing 350 gr Barnes Xs at 2700 fps. Damn tough old beast!!! Same rifle and load knocked over a bison at 125 yards ... a DRT. Minimum rifle I carried three times in Africa was a 9.3x62 and it kills way over its apparent ability.

Some folks argue that the 45-70 is perfectly adequate for Cape Buffalo. I would suggest that's a stunt and is best attempted with a well armed professional hunter back up.

I personally use a 338 Win Mag sighted at 300 yards for Elk and the great bear.

Have killed deer with subsonic 300 BLK. 220 gr SMK upset on the neck and exited sideways for a DRT. The 300 BLK is a fine tool for the proper task.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

eastern_hunter wrote:Minimum chambering for dangerous game in most of Africa is the .375 H&H. Some countries allow 9,3x62 and the 9,3x74R.

The cape buffalo I took was hit 3 times with a .416 Rigby pushing 350 gr Barnes Xs at 2700 fps. Damn tough old beast!!! Same rifle and load knocked over a bison at 125 yards ... a DRT. Minimum rifle I carried three times in Africa was a 9.3x62 and it kills way over its apparent ability.

Some folks argue that the 45-70 is perfectly adequate for Cape Buffalo. I would suggest that's a stunt and is best attempted with a well armed professional hunter back up.

I personally use a 338 Win Mag sighted at 300 yards for Elk and the great bear.

Have killed deer with subsonic 300 BLK. 220 gr SMK upset on the neck and exited sideways for a DRT. The 300 BLK is a fine tool for the proper task.

Yes , apologies to the OP for the hijacking of this thread and getting so far off track.

Post by 789 »

Yea... trying too claw it back on topic;

Better also check local hunting regulations. Like here in Colorado 300 BO just doesn't make the power factor at 100 yards (does for pistol). Minimum standard caliber is .243 Win, min bullet diameter standard is also .243" or 6mm.

Oregon has a power factor regulation; check where you will be hunting.

I would recommend a heaver bullet and a well constructed one like the Barnes or my favorite the Hornaday SST for deeper penetration in that bigger animal. I would suggest the 165 grain for a bit deeper penetration and less mushrooming.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

What is the minimum feet per second for the SST to expand? I am a firm believer in that bullet,have seen it do more damage to a deer than anything else,almost too much,almost.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=84461&start=20#p791787

Check this thread out. I have since tested at 200 and found it expands well. I have since pushed the MV to right at 2i80 with my 16 inch. I would still keep it at 200 yards max but around here, woods hunting, that is more than you need.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Not bad but I'm trying to stay on topic. :lol:
You think you could push a 165 out of a shorter barrel fast enough to expand?
If so we might have a winner if the OP can double tap.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Guest762 wrote:Not bad but I'm trying to stay on topic. :lol:
I doubt it would expand much.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

125 obviously blows up some ground hogs but u might be trailing a elk for days.
Last deer I shot was at 250 yds had a lung and liver hanging out the other side with 165 SST it would be nice if I could get that kind of terminal ballistics in this light weight 300. A 14.5 pof gets heavy these days,and I'm not carrying the armalite further than 50 yards,just drop me off on the power line and pick me up later. I see why the op wants to carry the 300 and you may drop one in it tracks or you may end up on a 3 day trail. Could be a coin toss on any given day.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

randyrucker wrote:
Guest762 wrote:Not bad but I'm trying to stay on topic. :lol:
I doubt it would expand much.
If at all. I shoot a 165 SST in my 308's. There isn't enough case capacity to get it moving fast enough in the 300. You asked about minimum fps on the SST and the 125 is the only one I have tried. Great for whitetail, definitely light for elk. randy's favorite bullet, the Barnes blacktip, expands down to 1300 fps but at 110 gr, is probably light as well for elk size game. I am not familiar enough with state laws and minimum requirements where elk live. The conversation makes me wonder about the LeHigh CF 174 gr subsonic and how much penetration you would get out of it at around 50 - 75 yards.