Piston kits that work on 300Blackout?!?!?!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ataris121

Re: Piston kits that work on 300Blackout?!?!?!

Post by ataris121 »

Still no luck.
Completly removed all sources or resistance to the oprod, and have droped down to a reduced power spring and a low mass buffer
Still wont pick up my next round. Anybody with more luck?
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

I installed a Adams kit on my cmmg barrel. I had to take the buffer weights out, open the gas hole, install a reduced recoil spring to get it to function properly. I will be buying some factory ammo to test it with. I reload all my ammo so I may have a bit more to do.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

A reduced power recoil spring will mean that the rifle will not strip a first round from a fully loaded magazine. One should never use one. A "C" buffer is already as light as I would ever go. If you are using a piston in an attempt to gain reliability - it seems odd to make these two changes to try to make it work.

Today we shot an AAC DI 300 BLK rifle 1100 rounds. No failures. We did clean it twice. 400 of that was with no cleaning or oil. It seems fine to me. Not sure what the piston is trying to solve.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

So has anyone been able to get a piston kit to work with their 300blk? Preferably a pistol length Adams Arms kit. Is it even possible?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Lt Dan

Post by Lt Dan »

FWIW- I have a PWS MK109 and it runs supers (my reloads) super!

MK109= PWS in 300BLK with 9.75" barrel

Pmags, USGI mags 20 or 30 rounders makes no difference.

Now that winter is here in Ohio I have time for more reloading and will be working on subs.

I have a SWR Trident for my MP5 and plan to use it on the MK109 (subs only). I plan on using 208 AMAX.

Wish me luck.

Lt Dan
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

Would it work without any modification or will I have to open up the gas port so i can run subs and supers with a suppressor and supers with out a suppressor? I dont see the point in supers without a can.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You have to choose a gas port size. It would just be random chance that the gas port your barrel has is the one that is needed.

Also I would pin that. I can't imagine a piston gun with set screws.
blkgunlvr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by blkgunlvr »

I just joined the forum because of a piston conversion issue. I have a new Blackout with a 16" CMMG Wasp barrel. right out of the box it cycled fine with 110 gn factory Hornady supersonics, but would not cycle Remington 220 gn factory subsonics. I put on an Osprey OPS-416 that wouldn't even budge the bolt with supersonics or subsonics. I swapped over to a CMMG carbine length piston system and it is motionless, too. I have a suppressor on order (AAC 762 SDN6) and it looks like I'll have to go back to DI and save subsonic loads for suppressor only.
elitejake
Silent Operator

Post by elitejake »

The issue of a reduced preasure spring for the buffer and removing the weights has in no way made the rifle fail to strip the round off the mag. After anealing the brass and finding a solid load that locks the bolt back I am happy. I will run it with subs if I finally get my nfa stamp back.
I have been reloading and tinkering with loads for the guns I shoot for fifteen years. Over half a million rounds in my career. Now I wouldn't go on here and give a end all solution to every one because I indeed reload and that is what I shoot with my modified gun. But I would say that yes you can successfully get a Adams Arms piston kit to run reliably on a 16" 300 aac blackout. You will have to tinker with the gas system and loads and spring pressure. Find the right combination for your preferred load. That is all I did.
My 16" AA piston spits my 150g bullets out without fail. And my 168's and some 190's. It can be done but you need time, ability to reload and patience. I don't know of a factory load that will cycle my rifle.so the down side is my limits of reloading.