Hi all, new to the forum. Adams Arms Question.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ataris121

Re: Hi all, new to the forum. Adams Arms Question.

Post by ataris121 »

so whats the trick to get an ops-416 to work with a 16" barrel? looking for more of specific parts and modifications
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

ataris121 wrote:so whats the trick to get an ops-416 to work with a 16" barrel? looking for more of specific parts and modifications

I would imagine it is just getting the gas port to the right size.
Tooreal

Post by Tooreal »

I would agree, it's all in getting the gas port to the right size. That being said if I had the proper equipment, I would close my carbine length Gas Port & put in a pistol length Gas Port & then make sure it is drilled out to 100 thousands or a 3/32 Diameter Hole in the pistol length area. Then it should have enough gas pressure at the bottom of the barrel to operate the piston system correctly. Then I would hope that you wouldn't have any need for an adjustable gas block.
If that works, then your going to have to figure out how to have a pistol length piston system and yet still be able to get a free float forearm on the gun that will go out at least halfway down the length of the barrel IF Not farther and still have access to the front of the piston system for adjustment and cleaning purposes? I was going to figure this out myself so I could say that I did it all by my self, because I love figuring out this kind of gun stuff but I'll let someone else have the glory. ;-)
Atalon

Post by Atalon »

Stratosgator wrote:
300Blk wrote:
Stratosgator wrote:It seems to me to be a bunch of bunk. :x
The 55gr 223 loading on Hogdon's website has minimum loading pressure at 39000 CUP.
Loading for the 300 at minimum using 125gr projectile and W296 powder is 40200 CUP.
Should be MORE than ample pressure to get it to cycle correctly.
The gas port is not in the chamber, it is down the barrel. 300 BLK has much lower pressure down the barrel because the barrel is a 30 caliber bore. This is also why 300 BLK is more quiet - less muzzle exit pressure.
Thanks, R Silvers for adding to the discussion here.
True, the pressure is lower due to the larger diameter of the barrel. I was saying that the company's that manufacture the piston drives ought to be able to come up with a working (right out of the box) kit for the round.
The R&D hasn't been done (in my opinion) due to lack of market demand for such a kit. If there were a greater demand there would be a bigger push for it. They are in the business to make money and if demand won't support the tooling and research then there is no reason to pursue it.
In case others have come across this through a search like I just have:
This is more then likely because they are already having a hard time keeping up with production of the current model and adding a second model just for the 300 BLK/Whisper would just make matters worse.
Atalon

Post by Atalon »

birddude wrote:New update! I took it apart and looked at the gas hole in the barrel, then looked at the gas hole in the gas block. The one in the gas block was half the size of the one in the barrel. So I drilled the gas block to the same size of the barrel and reassembled it. Loaded a magazine with five rounds of SS 115gr Remingtons and went out back and let em rip! To my surprise all five worked with out a glich, then I put three sub sonic Rem in and it cycled the bolt enough to eject the fired case but not back enough to strip a new round of the magazine, maybe after I get a few hundred rounds of SS thru it it may work with the sub sonic rounds.
As for the pressures the larger bore of the 30 cal takes up the gas, more space for it to go!
In case others have come across this through a search like I just have:
I would assume you would need to put a suppressor on as well when firing sub sonic rounds to keep the pressure up high enough to cycle the rifle fully.
michaelprob
Silent Operator

Post by michaelprob »

Marshs313 wrote:I had one on my cmmg barrel. Didn't function enough And I didn't want to "enlarge" my gas port. So I went back to di. Also I did it because Adams arms pissed me off with poor customeR seRvice.

If their customer service upset you, do not ever, every deal with SOTA!
kamerontkelly

Post by kamerontkelly »

PWS sells a 300blk piston AR. It would be interesting to see what they did to ensure it works properly. Their engineers know exactly how to make it work. Almost bought one myself but I got a smokin deal on an AAC upper. Cost me half of what a PWS would have.