Cutting a 16 / 14.5 in 300 BLK Barrel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

pathfinderheli

Cutting a 16 / 14.5 in 300 BLK Barrel

Post by pathfinderheli »

Hi folks...

What are the thoughts on cutting a 16 or a 14.5 in 300 BLK barrel down to about 13 in?

Reason is that I was trying to get the 51T brake as close as possible to the URX III rail... Similar to a 11.5 Costa upper (URX II)...

Probably not worth it in the end but wondering if I would run in to any reliability issues... Would look pretty sweet!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cutting a 16 / 14.5 in 300 BLK Barrel

Post by JasonM »

pathfinderheli wrote:Hi folks...

What are the thoughts on cutting a 16 or a 14.5 in 300 BLK barrel down to about 13 in?

Reason is that I was trying to get the 51T brake as close as possible to the URX III rail... Similar to a 11.5 Costa upper (URX II)...

Probably not worth it in the end but wondering if I would run in to any reliability issues... Would look pretty sweet!
You'll most likely not be able to get it to run- the closest thing to that is the AAC 12.5" barrel and that uses a pistol-length gas system.

Actually, I am assuming that you have a 16" with carbine-gas? Your best bet for the setup you want would be to start from scratch with a company like Delta Company Arms.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
thehouseproduct
Silent Operator

Post by thehouseproduct »

I have almost exactly this setup with a pinned Surefire brake. If the upper has a carbine length gas, I say avoid it. The shorter dwell time makes getting sub sonic loads very finicky. If you want sub sonic cast bullets, forget it.
pathfinderheli

Post by pathfinderheli »

Will Delta Company make a custom barrel for me?
hugegator
Silent Operator

Post by hugegator »

A friend of mine just took a 16" SI barrel with a carbine length gas system and had it bobbed to 13.7" and pinned and welded a Noveske Flaming Pig to it. He tried it with direct impingement and also a piston system, would not run. He then took it to Rainier Arms and had their guys make the gas port about twice the size it was and it still wouldn't run for them either. We tried a variety of different loads and it was a loss.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

pathfinderheli wrote:Will Delta Company make a custom barrel for me?
I'd love to, but I must tell you up front, Im slower than Christmas right now.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
thehouseproduct
Silent Operator

Post by thehouseproduct »

hugegator wrote:A friend of mine just took a 16" SI barrel with a carbine length gas system and had it bobbed to 13.7" and pinned and welded a Noveske Flaming Pig to it. He tried it with direct impingement and also a piston system, would not run. He then took it to Rainier Arms and had their guys make the gas port about twice the size it was and it still wouldn't run for them either. We tried a variety of different loads and it was a loss.
Try slower powders. 2230 and xterminator worked for me. 14.6 grains under a 220gr SMK.
Gatorbait28

Post by Gatorbait28 »

hugegator wrote:A friend of mine just took a 16" SI barrel with a carbine length gas system and had it bobbed to 13.7" and pinned and welded a Noveske Flaming Pig to it. He tried it with direct impingement and also a piston system, would not run. He then took it to Rainier Arms and had their guys make the gas port about twice the size it was and it still wouldn't run for them either. We tried a variety of different loads and it was a loss.

Was this with subsonic loads? Or supersonic as well wouldn't work?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

It is all in the FAQ. Carbine length gas is for barrels 16 inches or longer.
Gatorbait28

Post by Gatorbait28 »

300Blk wrote:It is all in the FAQ. Carbine length gas is for barrels 16 inches or longer.
:)
Thanks I understand that, but I am curious in this particular case if they were trying to get all 4 ways to function correctly or if it just didn't work period for anything that it was fed. Just trying to understand why 14.5 would be ok, but .8" shorter barrel/dwell time shut it down? Just seekin more info :)