Side charger or gas buster?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Get-to-tha-choppa

Side charger or gas buster?

Post by Get-to-tha-choppa »

This is a new build I’m working on with a 8.5” barrel and it is intended for use with subs and a can. I’m debating a side charger upper .vs something like a gas buster charging handle or even a standard handle with the “do it yourself” gasket sealant. My buddy swears by his side charger but I’m just not convinced yet, something about that reciprocating charging handle.

Figured I would tap into the experience and lessons learned from the folks here and see what the general consensus is.

So if it was you what path would you follow and why?

Cheers!
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Re: Side charger or gas buster?

Post by snipecatcher »

I would love to have a side charger, but if all you are concerned with is gas, just use RTV silicon. I have a BCM Gunfighter charging handle with silicon and have never had a problem with gas in the face. You can even get it in black!
-Dan
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

I have owned both and I will only build AR's with LAR Grizzly side charge uppers
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

rockrivershooter wrote:I have owned both and I will only build AR's with LAR Grizzly side charge uppers
Honestly, even though I've never handled one, my next AR will also be a side charger. The most awkward non-ergonomic thing to do on an AR is manipulating the charging handle. I recommended the silicon to the OP because it sounds like he has handled a side charger and didn't like it, and strictly for reducing gas in the face, the silicon works fine.

A side charger would be great for running subsonics with a fast charge that is quiet but does not cycle the action.
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

I run a Gas Buster charging handle on my 8" 300 BLK, which I always run suppressed, and it is very effective.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

While I merrily waited on my Quicksand suppressor to be approved, I read of gas in the face, and began to worry, as my uppers and charging handles are the normal type. I shoot right handed. My suppressor approval arrives. I get ready to clean my glasses and face of all the residue that will surely cover my face, and NOTHING happens; no gas in the face or on glasses with subsonic 300 BLK. Hmmm, I'll shoot some BLK supersonic...no gas. Surely this will get gas in the face: I mount the suppressor on a 11 1/2" 5.56mm upper...nothing, just quieter shooting. Try another BLK upper that doesn't have an adjustable gas block...no gas in face.

Your mileage may vary. Maybe I've just been lucky. On the other hand, I am on a waiting list for a LAR right handed side charger upper.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

i've tried the silicon route in a 12.5" DD , and was still getting gas in the face.. with the ops-4 nothing!
I only build side chargers now.. much better IMHO.

see for yourself.. super and subs..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UehOw94yc0
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Get-to-tha-choppa

Post by Get-to-tha-choppa »

Thanks all for the feedback, i decided to just go with the side charger even though there is a pretty significant wait to do so.
robrob
Silent But Deadly

Post by robrob »

A side charger would be great for running subsonics with a fast charge that is quiet but does not cycle the action.
That's a great point.

My 14.5" barreled NFA M16 with suppressor shot scary amounts of gas into my eyes until I added a gas buster charging handle. The 300BLK has never done it.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »