Painted ammo cans

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dustinreeder
Silent Operator

Painted ammo cans

Post by Dustinreeder »

Anyone think this is cool and maybe worth looking into. The old lady thinks the green ammo cans are ugly and make the closet look horrible so I painted one with auto paint in metallic brown with a slight purple and labeled it in white lettering and then used automotive clear over the top of both of the layers it turned out awesome. Anyone think it may be worth perusing and maybe one day selling them. I work for a company named Patterson weaponry in Weatherford, Texas, we are a paint and body shop and a licensed FFL working on our 07 at the moment. I am the only employee and he likes new ideas what does everyone thinkImage
Dystaxia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Painted ammo cans

Post by Dystaxia »

Nice!
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Beautiful...but I wouldn't pay extra for it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thats very nice work & im sure there's a niche market out there, but personally i think ammo cans are expensive enough these days. Paying for a custom automotive grade paint job just wouldnt be somethign i'd be interested in.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

looks awesome. I did my own. Flat black with bright neon yellow first initial and last name.
Victor Lopez
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

One suggestion I'd make is to put the label on the ends and not the sides. Of the dozen or so guys I know with multiple ammo cans for reloading/storage, none of them would see that marking with how they store them.

I just use duct tape with sharpie indicating the cartridge/load. Once I run out, I pull the tape and it could be something entirely different next refill.

If you're hell bent on painting ammo cans, you could do some white with red crosses for first aid kits. I had one of those I used to carry around in my truck till some a-hole stole it. There's probably more demand for those than single caliber labeled ones - prepper craze and all. Maybe you'd do well making a trauma kit and selling the whole works as a package?
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

It does look nice. But I agree that it's not something I would pay much extra for and the label definitely needs to be on the end.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Market them to motorcycle people. Lots of dual sport riders use them as panniers, and would probably like a body shop caliber paint job.

I think most use the 30mm ones, although they seem kindof heavy to me.
Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Toxarch »

I was just thinking they might be interesting as saddlebags on a bike... and then looked up what "panniers" meant and realized that's what you were talking about.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

Very nice, but you have waaay too much time on your hands :mrgreen: