gmail strike 1

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

gmail strike 1

Post by 300Blk »

I am always asked why gmail is banned. It is banned because when I go to delete spam, I see they often come from a gmail address. After being asked over and over, I unbanned gmail to see what would happen. Today I had to delete four spam postings - the first I can remember. If it happens two more times, gmail will be banned again.
Chopperguy

Re: gmail strike 1

Post by Chopperguy »

I'm a global moderator on another firearms board and have found over the past 10 years or so that G mail addresses are nearly all spammers.

We run all prospective members through the stop forum spam web site before approval. Can't really remember the last time a G mail address was legit.

http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

Good luck!
If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

I have a gmail mail account that I have always used on the site. If it is banned will I no longer get my notifications?

Where is all the spam being posted? Cant you create a dummy thread or board that will catch most of the spam?
mackers
Silent Operator

Post by mackers »

Finally. I just signed up using my gmail account and thank god I dont have to ask my 300 questions on that other ar15 board anymore. And I am in the middle of my very first ar15 build so I always have dumb questions.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

gmail, hotmail, yahoo - ghettos of the email world.

I virtually never get a serious business inquiry from any of those types of emails.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

300Blk wrote:gmail, hotmail, yahoo - ghettos of the email world.

I virtually never get a serious business inquiry from any of those types of emails.
Well I find it extremely unprofessional to use my business email for personal matters, not to mention I have never worked for any company that allows the use of a company computer/email for personal use/entertainment.

Gmail allows me to not only link my youtube to my social networking but is also free and has been my personal email provider for the better part of a decade.

Accepting email providers like gmail gives those who find it archaic to pay for email or cant use their business email the ability to join in and better the community.

However, as you have stated, this is indeed your forum and you are free to set it up how you like. But other forums have a spam thread set up to catch most of the spam, is this not an option?

On a side not I have heard that Facebook will be soon rolling out email hosting ... spammers will for sure eat that up.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

This is just me, but I don't know why everyone does not own their own domain name and have real email. I don't even like gmail for personal use because it is still ghetto and anonymous. There is no accountability. People just toss the email and get another free one. That being said, that is just me, and people are going to use gmail for personal use.

Free AOL mail has not resulted in spams.
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Post by C2_Drew »

Most people fall into these two categories:
a) Have no clue how to purchase a domain name and sign up for email hosting
b) Know how to do this but are not willing to pay per month for email when "free" alternatives exist.

Of course I say free with quotation marks because none of the services are actually free. Your ISP accounts roll the email service into your monthly bill and the webmail providers mine your emails and hit you with targeted advertisements.

The ISPs want you to get locked into their services with the fear of losing your email archive. If you do host your own mail, you have a similar issue, but if you're competent enough to set it up in the first place you should be able to backup a Outlook .pst file.

A compromise for many is to make a deal with the devil and use Gmail's large archive capacity as a persistent email presence on the internet. Gmail can even check your ISP email for you and bring it back into the gmail interface.

It's useful for when you singed up for forum X back in the day when you lived in Philadelphia and all you had access to was Comcast, but then you moved to an area where Comcast was not available so you were forced to change providers. Now you need to get back into forum x and the only way to get your password is with your old ISP account. Shucks, I guess you'll just have to make a new account! A persistent email sure would be handy right about now!

Not accepting gmail accounts is more of an exception than the norm. Other forums seem to combat it with captcha and question answering during registration. I do understand that this is your forum, and you can do as you please, so keep on doin' it!
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I have capcha and questions also. That reduces the spam.

Most other sites are for profit and so have a budget to delete spam.
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

I use a Gmail account because it's what transferred from SilencerTalk, but I understand the issue with spammers that Rob is plagued by.

On the domain part, I'm someone with no use for a domain (just as I have no use for the various social garbage sites) and my ISP's email login is more of a PITA than its worth. I find Gmail nice as I use multiple different emails to sort what content is being received and am happy to use it for what little personal use I have and online shopping.
As a side benefit, Gmail allows me to make unlimited outgoing calls within North America. Great for calling companies who put you on hold, or talking with family.

I choose not to use AOL or their products as they openly support the removal of our second amendment rights.
-Exterminatus-