weapon light?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300blkop

weapon light?

Post by 300blkop »

were are you guys mounting you're lights. i mount mine at 3 o'clock but thinking about 12 o'clock in front of magpul BUS just because of less exposure of myself. running 9" ACC with eotech on top magpul BUS and knights hand stop at 6 o'clock . any input?
" The Beating Will Continue Until Morale Improves"
Grendel65
Senior Silent Operator

Re: weapon light?

Post by Grendel65 »

Surefire 9 volt @ the 9 o-clock, on both my AR and shotgun. I'm a lefty
"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends" The Highwaymen
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I have mine at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock...not on the same rifle mind you. I've got one with a pressure switch, 3 o'clock. Just go with what ever works for you, try different positions and train with each. Go with what works for you. I've not gone with the 12 o'clock yet for pure looks but I guess it would work. It will leave you with a dark spot right in front of you on the ground but if you train with it, I'm sure it will be fine.
armed_zebra
Silent But Deadly

Post by armed_zebra »

I have TLR-1's at 12 o'clock on all of my uppers with the BUIS behind them. If shooting over or around barriers, lights mounted at 3, 6 or 9 are going to give you more of a chance of getting splashback from the light. Also, with my grip, the light switch is in perfect position for my off hand thumb. I use AFG2's mounted as far forward as possible on carbine length rails.

ETA: TLR-1's and lights like it are also small, lightweight and don't require mounts.
Silence can not be misquoted.
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

Currently running a Surefire M951 at 6 o'clock on my 12.5" upper, it makes a good hand stop and I can easily work the button as momentary or click it for constant on.

Eventually I'd like to replace it with a TLR-1, but I am cheap and I've not seen one for a good price yet :lol:
-Exterminatus-
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

Magos_Mal wrote:Currently running a Surefire M951 at 6 o'clock on my 12.5" upper, it makes a good hand stop and I can easily work the button as momentary or click it for constant on.

Eventually I'd like to replace it with a TLR-1, but I am cheap and I've not seen one for a good price yet :lol:

$93 today at Botach:http://deals.botach.com/
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

300blkop wrote:were are you guys mounting you're lights. i mount mine at 3 o'clock but thinking about 12 o'clock in front of magpul BUS just because of less exposure of myself. running 9" ACC with eotech on top magpul BUS and knights hand stop at 6 o'clock . any input?
Funny you should mention that.

I run my 9" AAC with the SF X300 on top in front of a DD BUIS. KAC handstop on the bottom.

The handstop is in the last notch which gives you a little more real estate. I have tried many many setups, and this is where I've landed.

Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
Notar
Silent But Deadly

Post by Notar »

The TLR-1s has more lumes than the TLR-1, and the strobe can be disabled. They can be had for $100 shipped, lots of bang for the buck.

I too put mine on top of the rail, and it looks a lot like JasonM's picture above. In the future I'd like to try out a X300 for comparison, it's probably as easy to use as the Streamlight. The TLR-1s works great for me with 11 inch rails, 2 thumbs up from me.
armed_zebra wrote:I have TLR-1's at 12 o'clock on all of my uppers with the BUIS behind them. If shooting over or around barriers, lights mounted at 3, 6 or 9 are going to give you more of a chance of getting splashback from the light. Also, with my grip, the light switch is in perfect position for my off hand thumb. I use AFG2's mounted as far forward as possible on carbine length rails.

ETA: TLR-1's and lights like it are also small, lightweight and don't require mounts.
300blkop

Post by 300blkop »

Agreed 12 o' clock work great. 9" ACC with TLR-1s in front of magpul BUIS my Knights hand stop on bottom..When rife is pulled into shoulder with my left hand my thumb can hit my light or BUIS easily on with the light on top eliminates splash from light. :mrgreen:
" The Beating Will Continue Until Morale Improves"
glocker17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by glocker17 »

The TLR-1s has more lumes than the TLR-1, and the strobe can be disabled. They can be had for $100 shipped, lots of bang for the buck.
I think they are the same output, with the strobe providing the increase. AT lease the early ones were that way. Anyone try the HP version?