New To 300 AAC Blackout, Building A 9" Pistol

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Seattle

New To 300 AAC Blackout, Building A 9" Pistol

Post by Seattle »

Glad to be here...

What really sold me is that I can truly put together an AR pistol that isn't a compromise and I can use it for defense, jeep gun, backpacking gun...

My parts list so far:
Thanks to reading this forum for awhile I am starting out with an H2 buffer and O rings for the extractor.
Rainier Arms Forged Lower
Rainier Arms Forged A4 Upper Assembly - GEN2
Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 7.0
PSA Pistol Lower Build Kit w/ Magpul MOE Grip And Trigger Guard

Parts I'm thinking about:
AAC 9" Barrel
La Rue Bolt Carrier Group

Any thoughts for other parts? Thanks ahead of time.

I'll post pics once all the parts come in and I start the build.
Last edited by Seattle on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidog556

Re: New To 300 AAC Blackout, Building A 9" Pistol

Post by skidog556 »

I have a hard time spending the $$$ on an AAC barrel, I would go for a Noveske for less $ than AAC and it will be Stainless. I personally have ordered a CMMG 8.5" 1 in 7" twist for $199.00. I like the 1 in 7 twist a little better, and it is less $$$ I'm hopeing the term "You get what you pay for" doesn't aply to the CMMG.
Seattle

Post by Seattle »

skidog556 wrote:I have a hard time spending the $$$ on an AAC barrel, I would go for a Noveske for less $ than AAC and it will be Stainless. I personally have ordered a CMMG 8.5" 1 in 7" twist for $199.00. I like the 1 in 7 twist a little better, and it is less $$$ I'm hopeing the term "You get what you pay for" doesn't aply to the CMMG.
To be honest I don't know much about AAC barrels. I was thinking about getting a shorter barrel and a can, so I might look into some other barrels. The 1 in 7 would definitely be better for the heavy bullets.
skidog556

Post by skidog556 »

A 9" barrel is optimpum for a pistol/ sbr. any shorter and you lose considerable velocity. 9" really is the sweet spot, for barrel length.
lmb7784
Silent Operator

Post by lmb7784 »

Immune perfectly happywith my grim reaper tactical 8" satainless bbl.
M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Post by M_Derelict »

I am still waiting on parts (my LAR upper receiver) and my SBR stamp, so I can't offer any first hand results, but I went with the 9" AAC in 1:7 because the suppressor I am considering (Liberty Mystic) requires a 9" minimum barrel length (if you want to warranty to remain intact). I was told that this was due to the cartridge being designed in a way that all the powder will be burned in 9". Shorter than that and you will have some unburnt powder essentially sandblasting the baffles in the suppressor.

I also wanted to go with 1:7 for heavier bullets.

I don't know how much of this is true, but I believed it enough to return the 8" Noveske I waited months to get. The AAC 9" came in about two weeks after ordering.
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

M_Derelict wrote:I am still waiting on parts (my LAR upper receiver) and my SBR stamp, so I can't offer any first hand results, but I went with the 9" AAC in 1:7 because the suppressor I am considering (Liberty Mystic) requires a 9" minimum barrel length (if you want to warranty to remain intact). I was told that this was due to the cartridge being designed in a way that all the powder will be burned in 9". Shorter than that and you will have some unburnt powder essentially sandblasting the baffles in the suppressor.

I don't know how much of this is true, but I believed it enough to return the 8" Noveske I waited months to get. The AAC 9" came in about two weeks after ordering.

Let me know how the LAR upper works when you get it and finally get it running. I have a LAR lower, will order a OPS-4 ambi once I get my trust set up. Then a AAC 9" as well. I figure Rob and them know what they are doing. And a Rainier arms evo handgaurd. Not sure what stock though. I like the look of the ACE socom stock.
Victor Lopez
M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Post by M_Derelict »

Will do Velo555. It is going to be a while though. The ATF just cashed my check a couple of weeks ago.

I am supposed to have the last of the parts in a couple of weeks. I ordered my OPS-4, right side at the beginning of April.

Not being a patient person by nature, this build has been killing me. LOTS of waiting :(
Seattle

Post by Seattle »

M_Derelict wrote:I am still waiting on parts (my LAR upper receiver) and my SBR stamp, so I can't offer any first hand results, but I went with the 9" AAC in 1:7 because the suppressor I am considering (Liberty Mystic) requires a 9" minimum barrel length (if you want to warranty to remain intact). I was told that this was due to the cartridge being designed in a way that all the powder will be burned in 9". Shorter than that and you will have some unburnt powder essentially sandblasting the baffles in the suppressor.

That's good to know. Is that the case with most suppressors? I was looking at a 6.5" DCA today online (think it was 1:8).
M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Post by M_Derelict »

I am not sure. I only dug deep on the Mystic as it will be very useful for several guns I have.