Vortex SPARC

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Taseal
Senior Silent Operator

Vortex SPARC

Post by Taseal »

Does anyone have one? I just saw it by surprise while browsing aimsurplus. I really didn't wanna spend 600+ on aimpoint micro dot.

Vortex is very reputable in mid range scopes, so it's a name I'd easily trust. but was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this optic. for the price, there is nothing close quality wise. unless you go for a different style like the fastfire. This comes with a 2x magnifier which isn't much of a help, but will be great to zero the optic at 50-100 yards.

Thanks!

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... -dot-scope
jdj
Elite Member

Re: Vortex SPARC

Post by jdj »

look for a thread by JohnInNH - he's got a great review of it in his never ending paragraph format...... Maybe it's on TOS (silencertalk.com/forum
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
Rifleman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rifleman »

Don't own one, but have handled one. It has the blue tint optics to other cheaper glass optics, but is still clear. The layout is decent and construction looks good. The owner did strip out the mounting bolt when installing and Vortex sent him a new one. It is a very small optic, so the window is also small and forms an incomplete circle due to the internals breaking a portion of the view.

Overall, if you want a micro type RDS, and want to be under ~$200, it is a very good option.
Taseal
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Taseal »

Wouldn't the micro have the same problem with small window issue?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

For detailed reviews in one thread:
http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php ... ight=SPARC

I posted some links to some detailed reviews in my later posts in the thread. Others chimed in in this thread as well. Zip over to NFA talk and you can read a few peoples feedback on it. I think the Current SPARC is very nice for the $.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
jlindholm70

Post by jlindholm70 »

When I was looking for a red dot, I stopped in at Cabelas and fingered a SPARC. Seemed decent enough for the $$, but it seemed like the objective window was a little small and I felt it was kinda big and clunky on the outside. WIth a SBR 300blk build in mind I wanted small and sleek. I was torn because it is a good price, but I wasn't sold on the design and it didn't seem that much better/different than the cheap Bushnell Trophy red dot that I have on the grandsons AR-22. (which has been a great scope for him so far) I ended up getting a great deal on a EoTech XPS-2-2 on a Black Friday sale. Glad I waited a bit and got the EoTech, ended up being about twice as much, but worth every penny. IMO.
Ultrastealth

Post by Ultrastealth »

I bought one, but haven't mounted it yet. It seems to be very good quality for the price. The housing is kind of bulky compared to the Aimpoints.
wrsteve33
Silent Operator

Post by wrsteve33 »

I have an Aimpoint T1 an and also a Primary Arms micro. The Primary Arms is the same size as the T1. It is pretty clear glass and pretty well built for the price. The battery life is nowhere near as good as the T1 - Aimpoint is famous for their battery saving circuitry.

It is not a bad sight for the money. I looked at the Vortex. I am a Vortex fan - I have a Viper PST. I just did not like the size of it.

The Primary Arms is on my shotgun. It will stay there. I don't consider it as critical to have a sight on the shotgun.

For my Blackout I purchased the Opmod version of the Eotech XPS2-0 from Optics planet. Pretty good price and came with a quick disconnect mount.
Taseal
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Taseal »

I prefer eotech over aimpoint, so I will probably get one of those. but I would like something that works until I can afford myself a xps2 :)
TygerAR

Post by TygerAR »

Taseal, I have all three. IMHO:

If my life depended on it and I could only have one, I would use the EOTech. I have the XPS2 and 517. The sight picture is the best hands down. The cross hairs are big and beautiful. There is no doubt that you can find your target and hit it. But it has no cover and is bulky.

I own 3 Aimpoints and it is my favorite of the brands. 2 are the PRO which can be had for $410. It has the best battery life by far. Some people never turn if off. It's the most rugged and comes with lens covers. The height can be changed and the controls are easy. For me the height and controls are perfect and I'm deadly accurate. At 25 yards I can make a happy face on the silhouette. Two for the eyes and a smile.

The SPARC is a great unit at a great price. I have considered buying another one, but since the PRO came out at $400, I would find a way to save up the extra $200 and get the PRO. First, the clarity on the magnifier is awful, so don't consider it as a selling point. I have used it once and would never use it in a life or death situation. In the picture, it is mounted on a .22LR handgun, but it was first used on a .40 S&W AR pistol (middle firearm). It works fine on both guns. Aims good, groups good, and holds zero. Just what you want. For me the sight picture is too small and the controls (on/off) are not as positive (hard to turn on). The SPARC is the only one of the 3 to have a parallax, but that should not effect your groups. I moved the SPARC to the 22 just so the 22 is more fun to shoot. If I never got the 22, it would have stayed on the 40.

The SPARC looks too small on a full sized rifle where you have a lot of real estate on the flat top. The 3/4 inch raiser is a rectangle block.You should also consider the larger Vortex red dot which is about $160. I'm sure they have the same internals.

That said Vortex is a good company. If it is in my price range, I would not hesitate to buy one of there products. I think EOTech and Aimpoint can charge more because they are used by Military and LE.

If you told me what you were planing to use it for, I could give you a more specific answer.