ETA of AAC 1:7" barrels?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cciemd

ETA of AAC 1:7" barrels?

Post by cciemd »

I'm in the market for both a 16" and a 9" and just trying to gauge if I can wait for the new twist or just order 1:8" barrels now. I don't have any immediate plans to shoot long heavy bullets (>220 gr), but I don't see a downside to the faster twist. If we are talking weeks before I can place an order for the new barrels I'll wait. If it is going to be months, I'd rather just get going on my builds.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any inside information!

Richard
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Re: ETA of AAC 1:7" barrels?

Post by Sdustin »

I ordered my AAC 9" upper on Feb 6 it was just sent out from accusport to my dealer hasnt arrived yet, its a 1-8. Rsilvers told me via PM that both were bening used, either luck of the draw of order from a "small dealer like bullseye" his words not mine. Accusport told my dealer that it would be month or so before they got any 1-7. Im of the thinking that ill be trying to load as chaep as i can get by, that means that ill be tryinh lighter bullets or cast, but i dont think ill shoot cast in my n6 once i get my paper work so. i say get the 1-8 if 220 is the heavyest youll shoot. but RS did tell me that they went to 1-7 for "An extra margin of safety for 220" so make you own conclusions.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

Bullseye has stellar service. I got my 1:8 from them. Exceedingly happy with their service, abrupt shipping, free shipping, and got exactly what I asked for at a much cheaper than GunBroker price (the new URX III rail)... Call them about your 1:7. They are great.
cciemd

Post by cciemd »

Bullseye has stellar service. I got my 1:8 from them. Exceedingly happy with their service, abrupt shipping, free shipping, and got exactly what I asked for at a much cheaper than GunBroker price (the new URX III rail)... Call them about your 1:7. They are great.
Hmm... I tried calling Bulls-Eye Indoor Range in GA (http://www.bullseyeindoorrange.com/). Is this the right Bullseye, copenhagen? I spoke with Jeremy. He was very friendly and helpful. He mentioned that AAC barrels have been backordered for months with no guess as to when new stock might be available (regardless of twist). I also asked about a URX rail, and he said they didn't carry them (only on complete AAC uppers).

I am strongly leaning toward just placing an order and being happy when something arrives regardless of twist.

Richard
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

That's what i did. Unless your going to be shooting 240 grain jacketed bullets you'll be ok, but I think there is something coming that we don't know about and that's why the change. Also the hex rail need a $300 barrel wrench so it's hard to install or remove your self. Plus if you add the cost or f the upper, BCG, barrel, gas tube, gas block, rail, and blackout FH you'll be at the price if the complete upper, it's a no brainer unless you hate the handguard and are going to change the muzzle device.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
piperpilot3tk
Silent Operator

Post by piperpilot3tk »

cciemd, check around there are a few places that have AAC uppers in stock. Check Dean Forest Road Guns, they have a 9" and 16" AAC upper in stock for less than a thousand. I saw some others in stock, but I cant remember where right now.
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

cciemd,

That would be the place. I bought a complete upper receiver so I cannot comment on barrel availability. I seem to remember Rob saying that the URX III 8" rail would not be made available separately. I do not really think that a 1:7 -vs- 1:8 is that big a difference, but I am no twist expert. I believe that twists should probably be tighter than they are based upon my research. That said, I am happy with my 1:8.
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

Robert said this in another thread:
Some people are obsessing too much. There is not much difference between 7 and 8 twist.
piperpilot3tk
Silent Operator

Post by piperpilot3tk »

copenhagen, who is the handsome rebel man in the avatar picture?
glock17l
Silent Operator

Post by glock17l »

Very happy with my 1 in 8 shoots sub minute with good Ammo, both in sub and super sonic.