WOW The copycats are out. 308 ARROW

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: WOW The copycats are out. 308 ARROW

Post by 300Blk »

Looks like 30 AS (Action Shooting) that the AMU used. Clearly not a copy of 300 BLK.

300 BLK is not very original - just a standardization of the 300-221 series of wildcats, and redone to be optimal and with a focus on normal supersonic full power ammo rather than subsonic.

Not saying it was easy - there was a lot to do to get it to where it is.
ramrod

Post by ramrod »

This is good, all good! More wildcats the better. .30 ASS (action shooting sports) now that's funny right there!
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

How about a 35 ( Gremlin ) I mean Whiteout next?
NickelBrass
Silent Operator

Post by NickelBrass »

My thinking as to why I think it is a 6.5 Grendel brass is because in their accessories section the loading components area they are selling the Number 6 shell holder to the handloader. There is only about 6 or 8 brass that this shell holder is used for and almost all of them are based on the 7.62x39mm Solviet military round. One of these is the 220 Russian whose case is the base for most of the xx ppc rounds. The 6.5 Grendel is in this family. Then again, it might just be a new case design and not a re-necked version of any other, but I doubt it, I can't see someone designing a completely new brass cartridge case. It is surely based on some parent case.
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Darkstang »

IMHO...the velocity claims appear to be a little on the high side.
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Post by C2_Drew »

Darkstang wrote:IMHO...the velocity claims appear to be a little on the high side.
Probably using 24 inch barrels.
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!
slowfire
Senior Silent Operator

Post by slowfire »

Yeah, a 110 gr bullet pushing 3000 fps? Sounds good to me. Might be a good option for folks who are primarily looking for a hunting AR. There are a lot of caliber options out there that are better than the 300 BLK for hunting when you start talking about changing bolt faces. Just another niche option, not really a copy or threat.
Liff

Post by Liff »

C2_Drew wrote:Yeah, 300 BLK owners don't really have room to talk about copying cartridges. Best ease off this one, boys!
Nicely done.
300Blk wrote:Looks like 30 AS (Action Shooting) that the AMU used. Clearly not a copy of 300 BLK.

300 BLK is not very original - just a standardization of the 300-221 series of wildcats, and redone to be optimal and with a focus on normal supersonic full power ammo rather than subsonic.

Not saying it was easy - there was a lot to do to get it to where it is.
Again, very nicely done.
AR-300 wrote:imitation is the sincerest form of plagarism
For example, the standardization of the 300-221 series of wildcats.

There is a thread somewhere about 'all the hate for the 300 BO'. I don't think anyone hates the 300BO, but they may hate/dislike some of the people's attitudes who own the 300 BO. For example: Some of the posters in this thread.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I just got the SPAM e-mail from TI. Re the Arrow. It's NOTHING like the BLK. NOT subsonic friendly at all.

Just get a AR10 308 IMHO For all the reasons like cheep surplus ammo, plenty of brass etc. Why a .30 wildcat. If I was going to get a custom it will be the Gremlin and have the advantage of big ass subs.

The $ you would save in getting this over an AR10 would quickly be spent on brass, dies etc.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Post by C2_Drew »

JohnInNH wrote:
The $ you would save in getting this over an AR10 would quickly be spent on brass, dies etc.
Excellent point, John. Can't really come up with any advantages for this platform.
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!