My (fairly) New 300 Blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ghmann
Silent Operator

My (fairly) New 300 Blk

Post by Ghmann »

Ordered a CBC Industries 300 Blk upper and pinned it to my Bushmaster lower. I made my 2nd trip to the range with it yesterday. Tried some new ammo from MAI too. 125 gr Speer TNT. Very pleased with gun and the ammo.

First 5 rounds from the bench gave a pretty good group at 50 yards. Second 5 round group wasn't bad either. One measures 7/8" and the other 1 1/8". That extrapolates to an average 2 MOA. Impact is low and left, but that's just the scope adjustment.

Unfortunately, that extrapolation didn't hold true in reality, lol. I got a couple of 3 inch groups, but some of the shots were kinda scattered. And now for my alibis. I'm not as steady as I used to be. I don't have that much experience shooting at 100 yards. The wind picked up, a bit gusty. I could see the cross hairs moving while I was trying to aim. Yeah, enough excuses. Good enough for minute of hog or deer.

Overall, I'm happy with the CBC upper, and the MAI ammo performed well. The Lancer 20 round mags worked well too. I fired a total of 60 rounds yesterday with no FTEs or FTFs. Shot 90 rounds of Magtech and Underwood about 3 weeks ago with no malfunctions. I believe the MAI is a bit more accurate than the Magtech and about equal to the Underwood, but half the price. The MAI ammo, as did the Magtech and Underwood, left the spent cases in a neat little pile at 4 O'clock and about 8 feet out.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: My (fairly) New 300 Blk

Post by bangbangping »

Ghmann wrote: I'm not as steady as I used to be. I don't have that much experience shooting at 100 yards. The wind picked up, a bit gusty. I could see the cross hairs moving while I was trying to aim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvujknrBuE
:mrgreen:
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Why do you have your scope mounted so far back? Most people install that scope/mount combo with the mount in the other direction and the eyepiece about flush with the back of the charging handle.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i have most of mine setup similar to his. my reason is it puts me in a comfortable cheek weld position for bench shooting, which is most of what i do.

if i have the rear of the scope flush with the rear of the receiver, i find myself stretching forward awkwardly to get into proper eye relief for the scope, especially at higher magnification.

when i setup scopes, i close my eyes, make comfortable contact with the stock at my cheek weld point, and then open my eyes and adjust the scopes eye releife to work with that hold position.

kind of like getting into a NPOA (natural point of aim) position when settling down on sandbags/rests to shoot. theory being if you're straining to get into alignment with your gear, you wont perform as well as someone who's not.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ghmann
Silent Operator

Post by Ghmann »

tfbit wrote:Why do you have your scope mounted so far back? Most people install that scope/mount combo with the mount in the other direction and the eyepiece about flush with the back of the charging handle.
It does appear to be mounted pretty far to the rear compared to others I have seen. I will re-evaluate the positioning, but it seemed about right at the range. If I mount it flush with the rear of the receiver, I would probably have to collapse the stock some to get proper eye relief.