Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

este
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Post by este »

curious sam wrote:Early Adopter penalty strikes twice... 1/8, 51T...
You're not the only one stung I'm sure.

That said, I'm really considering a 1/7 Micro7 now that my dreams of an AI mag 300blk bolt gun are dashed out. I wonder if the Micro7 will be switching over? It must right?
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

The 1 in 8" twist will be fine for 99% of people, but I would not recommend the 240's in one. Especially if it's a factory load set for a 16" barrel being shot out of a 8"-9" barrel.
Todd
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

-k- wrote:The 1 in 8" twist will be fine for 99% of people, but I would not recommend the 240's in one. Especially if it's a factory load set for a 16" barrel being shot out of a 8"-9" barrel.
Possible example: "TBW 300 ACC Blackout 240gr Segmented & scored flat point Full Metal Jacket" http://www.thebulletworks.net/TBW-300-A ... 240sfp.htm
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

este wrote:

That said, I'm really considering a 1/7 Micro7 now that my dreams of an AI mag 300blk bolt gun are dashed out. I wonder if the Micro7 will be switching over? It must right?

I am going out on a limb here.. I hope Robert will chime in ..

I think the micro7 will be 1:8 and not 1:7 for the near future. The Micro7 is "made by" AAC not Remington. The Micro 7 has an "aftermarket custom" barrel The new to be released 16.5" M700 SPS Tactical rifle will have a heavier contour barrel in 1:7 but is a factory made Remington barrel.

If you plan on shooting 240+ gr bullets like I was going to be shooting the new SPS may be a better choice.

The 16" 1:8 should be fine for loads at 1025 fps with 220s. The 208 A max seems to be the most accurate I have seen so far.

I would have preferred a 1:7 since supers are only 10% or less of the loads I shoot and I was going to get a 247 gr NOE mould and load those.. not now. 220 may be the heaviest the 1:8 really will like. I have 2K of those inbound. If they tail wag I will have to re-barrel or sell and get the 1:7 Remington SPS without the premier quality barrel. I hate to have to give this up.

My AR upper.. Well again I have a 1:8 inbound.. At least I can re-barrel it, but again a baffle strike is expensive. For the people who shoot the majority super sonic NBD and the 1:8 may be better. If it was a check mark on the order and I had a choice the 1:7 would be mine by a LONG shot. I would pay more for it.

I just happen to be in the 10% who really would benefit from the correct 1:7 twist for the bullets at the speeds *I* was planning on shooting.

Nothing "Wrong" with a 1:8. Most people will be fine.. "Margin of safety" does not = NEED. S&W recognized the issue and has a 1:7.5"

Is it worth my spending $500 for a new barrel? or selling and replacing.. maybe.. for most people maybe not unless they want it primarily for big ass slow bullets. Which I thought the 1:8 was for originally. I will just use my Mystic with the extra room.. till I figure out what to do.

But the Micro7 with the custom made 1:8 is a sweet barrel so it may hold it's value. Now IF AAC has a micro7 replacement barrel in 1:7 for a reasonable cost and can do the work I 'm willing to do that.

It's going to end up costing me the same as the custom build with the Pacnor 1:7 I was going to do, but put off cuz it was to much $, so I got the m7 .. now.. well... Let's just nothing seems to go right for me lately. LOL. I knew as soon as I saw the 220 Hornady bullet holes the twist was to slow. Felt a 1:7 was better a while ago when we talked twist rated for the 308 Blackout rifle.. But Robert felt the 1:8 was the best choice at that time.. Now we are seeing that is might be better at 1:7 Poop happens.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I should have said 240 SMK or match bullets. Some of the flat point, flat base heavy bullet will not be as long or need as much twist to stabilize.

I don't give them much attention because:

The 220 SMK goes through anything I would ever shoot it at. Chasing ft-lbs with heavier bullets that will do the same damage to the target is pointless to me.

I'm only interested in bullets that will feed well in an AR, and if I had a bolt gun I'd probably shoot cheaper lighter bullets subsonic anyway.
Todd
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

-k- wrote:I should have said 240 SMK or match bullets. Some of the flat point, flat base heavy bullet will not be as long or need as much twist to stabilize.

I don't give them much attention because:

The 220 SMK goes through anything I would ever shoot it at. Chasing ft-lbs with heavier bullets that will do the same damage to the target is pointless to me.

I'm only interested in bullets that will feed well in an AR, and if I had a bolt gun I'd probably shoot cheaper lighter bullets subsonic anyway.
This is very true. The 247 NOE may be totally un necessary if the 220 RNGC work. a FP would be better.. But I could not find any at the price I got mine at. It seems the Hornady RNFB bullets do not stabilize well. The accuracy and uneven bullet holes some have posted and my experience shows, indicate some instability from the shape of the RN or some other VooDoo unique to the bullet.

220 is fine by me. Granted a 250 gr (247 NOE + a gas check) bullet will have more resistance due to being longer than the 220. But is it really that much more of a real world soft target performance increase? Or an on paper thing??? Probably the latter.

The 247 NOE seems to fly fairly straight in the 1:8 for some people too. Just make sure it's getting enough FPS before attaching your silencer.. at 850 it may be enough wobble to hit a baffle but at 975 FPS be OK. This is where the 1:7 will be handy.. Margin of safety.

But to your point if a 220 gr bullet blows clean through a cow why use a 247? Does the added length give you that much more of a would channel? Not all that much different. Honestly the 220 will be easier to cast than the 247. AND easier to size and lube. Will save a bunch of lead too. 27 gr each adds up.

I have a lot of faith in the 220 bullets I have on order and think they will be a good fit for the Micro7. I do not get why the 220 RN Hornady do not shoot well. On paper they should.. I just hope the cast bullets are not going to have the same tail wag issue the Hornady RN seems to have.

-k- excellent point..
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
sinsir
Silent Operator

Post by sinsir »

-k- wrote:The 1 in 8" twist will be fine for 99% of people, but I would not recommend the 240's in one. Especially if it's a factory load set for a 16" barrel being shot out of a 8"-9" barrel.

well .... i'm sure the 1:7 would be better but i shot this at 50 yards the other day. when i get a chance to get back out, i'll try at 100 yds

aac micro 7 / 247 gr NOE cast .311, resized to .309 / reformed 5.56 brass

10g A1680
slowfire
Senior Silent Operator

Post by slowfire »

este wrote:

Yeah, I'm in for both. It's a side effect of being on the keen edge of cool. 8) :lol:

If the 208 wins out for accuracy, that just means a little less $$ in each shot for me. I'm 99.9% punching paper with this thing anyway...
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

I can certainly live with 208/220s - 208 is probably the best choice for my 9" anyway.

I'm certainly less concerned with the twist than the mount standard change.

In my estimation, once it reaches the point of the 90T, it might have reached the point it might not need to change again, if it is as represented.
sinsir
Silent Operator

Post by sinsir »

slowfire wrote:
este wrote:

Yeah, I'm in for both. It's a side effect of being on the keen edge of cool. 8) :lol:

If the 208 wins out for accuracy, that just means a little less $$ in each shot for me. I'm 99.9% punching paper with this thing anyway...

the 208 amax's w/ viht n110 have been doing well in the micro 7 for me, i'm still playing with, and not ready to give up on the 247 although. we shall see.