Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Post by JasonM »

este wrote:That said, I'm really considering a 1/7 Micro7 now that my dreams of an AI mag 300blk bolt gun are dashed out. I wonder if the Micro7 will be switching over? It must right?
In the 2012 catalog, it's listed as 16", 1:7" 5R, Nitride
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

curious sam wrote:I can certainly live with 208/220s - 208 is probably the best choice for my 9" anyway.

I'm certainly less concerned with the twist than the mount standard change.

In my estimation, once it reaches the point of the 90T, it might have reached the point it might not need to change again, if it is as represented.
Mounts- I can't imagine getting finer than 90T, but the real change is the taper part. That's what actually holds the can on and aligns it. The ratchet is almost completely unnecessary. AAC has built a bunch of the cans with the taper lock, and not ratchet and they have run awesome, full auto, sbr, whatever, but the ratchet gives you a sense of security.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

JasonM wrote:
este wrote:That said, I'm really considering a 1/7 Micro7 now that my dreams of an AI mag 300blk bolt gun are dashed out. I wonder if the Micro7 will be switching over? It must right?
In the 2012 catalog, it's listed as 16", 1:7" 5R, Nitride
Jason.. Looks like I was wrong.. Good part is, well when I shoot out my 1:8, I can slap a on a 1:7 ;)

sinsir .. That's the best 247 gr group I have seen to date. Nice shooting.. Cast bullets are weird and a bore likes to season some. Maybe yours has worked in and is at peak for cast bullets now. My order of the bullets was cancelled. The group order fell through. Molds are not due till Oct.. So I'm not going to play with them till next Nov-Dec. If I decide to start casting again.

Ask to shoot a jacketed bullet out of a BPCR that has been seasoned with Balistol used for cleaning and preserving etc and watch the owners face. LOL He may be more willing to loan you his wife.

Not sure if it's voodoo or for real but I have heard it's a real no no. You get a nice seasoned backed on non sick "finish" which shooting one jacketed bullet will destroy ...

"Blow tubes", soft lead, SPG lube.. Drop tubes, paper "cards", BPCR is an art, voodoo, and science all rolled into one.

My rifle: Image
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

JohnInNH wrote:Good part is, well when I shoot out my 1:8, I can slap a on a 1:7
It will be a while before you wear out that barrel (nitride). By then, we will be at 1:1. :P
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I found out yesterday that LMT and RobArms picked 1/7, as did three others that are not public yet.
este
Senior Silent Operator

Post by este »

300Blk wrote:I found out yesterday that LMT and RobArms picked 1/7, as did three others that are not public yet.
I know you probably can't say, but are any of those other three going to be bolt guns?

Not sure it matters much consider the 7 is 1:7, 5R, nitride now, can't really see beating that.
sinsir
Silent Operator

Post by sinsir »

john,

i'm glad i got my mould when i did, it was one of the over runs from a group buy i think. i'll be honest, the NOE were shooting like crap, i could punch a nice tight group with rem subs, and the best i was doing with the NOE was 2-2.5 inches at 50 yards. i'll have to look at the notes to see what changes were made beside's the powder charge.

the 10 gr of 1680 was working fine, but still seemed like a bit to much gas for a bolt gun, and was dirty as heck. i'm 86-ing the 1680, and will be working with imr 4227 and the viht n110 for both the cast and the 208's.

speaking of which ... up until a week ago, you could find all the 208's that you wanted right off the shelf, yesterday i stoped at 3 places i know had them,+ bass pro,gander, and a gun shop i found out in the woods, and nobody had a single box of amax's in 208 .... hell, some people didn't even know what the 300 blackout was, never mind have ammo.

i like to run a string of factory over the chrono as a baseline, as conditions change i'll run another just to keep myself in check. so it looks like i'll have to place an order for both ammo and amax's.

i'm looking at QL for a lil' gun and a 2400 charge and might give them a try with both projectiles.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

700PSS wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:Good part is, well when I shoot out my 1:8, I can slap a on a 1:7
It will be a while before you wear out that barrel (nitride). By then, we will be at 1:1. :P
Dry humor :wink:
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I would have thought the year and a half jump they had on everyone the could Jhave figured out the right rate of twist. Kind of a kick in the nuts if you are a dealer with 1 in 8 barrels and everyone will want the new 1 in 7.
Bollinger Arms
FFL/SOT
Saint Louis , MO
[email protected]
Bjbfirearms.com
burton
Silent Operator

Post by burton »

66427vette wrote:I would have thought the year and a half jump they had on everyone the could Jhave figured out the right rate of twist. Kind of a kick in the nuts if you are a dealer with 1 in 8 barrels and everyone will want the new 1 in 7.

+1